PDA

View Full Version : Opinions . . . Remington 870 vs Benelli Supernova

Aqeous
March 28, 2008, 08:14 PM
Simply . . . opinions please . . .

If you only could have one . . . which one would you want on your side??

familywgn
March 28, 2008, 09:30 PM
Not having either, I can't really say anything, but the Benelli Nova I held today was much lighter than the 870. Something I am considering as I walk alot when out hunting. I'm not sure if the Supernova is similar though.:D

jdc48160
March 28, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've shot an 870 and like the way it shoots. It's about as heavy as my Mossberg is. I haven't shot a Benelli Supernova, but did hold one. Felt very nice. Light as can be.

The Benelli Nova/SuperNova is tops on my list of shotguns if I get another one.

K-Minus
March 28, 2008, 10:23 PM
870 all the way.

Now if it were between an 870and a benelli M1014.....

RoscoeC
March 29, 2008, 01:06 AM
870 without reservation. I'm sure the Benelli is a fine shotgun, but it doesn't have the longstanding service record of the 870, nor the parts availability, nor the plethora of after market ninja crap. Add to that the well known longevity of the 870, and for me the choice is clear. Now, fortunately your restriction of just being able to have one is hypothetical. For the price of most auto loaders, you can have both.

chris in va
March 29, 2008, 03:09 AM
870, no question. I didn't like the Nova I had, maybe the Super is better.

SiNNiK
March 29, 2008, 07:59 AM
I just purchased a Benelli SuperNova Tactical last month. Last week I took it out to the local skeet range and shot the pattern board 100 times (kinda tedious), and boy am I glad I picked the SuperNova!

Some people say that they are having problems with the SN's action acting weird, I think most of their problem is they are being to gentle with it. I experienced some weirdness, until I started racking it like I meant it. Once I took the kid gloves off, it was smooth as butter.

Versatility is one of the reasons I considered the SN, because it'll eat anything from 2 3/4" to big ol' honkin' 3 1/2" loads, whereas the 870 is only up to 3".

I got the ComforTech stock on mine, and I really don't think I could have lasted 100 rounds of 12 ga. without it. I haven't shot a shotgun in over 15 yrs, and was surprised I was able to shoot that much.

Get what you want, but the Benelli SN is money well spent!

Dave McC
March 29, 2008, 10:34 AM

Half-Price Assassin
March 29, 2008, 08:19 PM
870!!! and i am not just saying that cause i bought one last week! :)

18" barrel, 6 shot magazine home defense model

kristop64089
March 30, 2008, 03:56 PM
870, hands down. Just too much available for them, to not pick.

publius
April 1, 2008, 07:00 PM
Owning both I have to say 870 all the way. The Nova is OK but the 870 is virtually infallible. About 10-12 years ago I was duck hunting with a buddy in the MS delta in the floodwaters of the MS river 21 feet above flood stage. Killed our limit in 10 minutes, no kidding. Grabbed the burlap covering the outboard for camoflage and pulled it off hearing something fall in the water. It was my gun which was resting on the burlap. I tied a decoy to a tree where we were anchored. Went back three weeks later. the river had dropped approx. 1 ft a day since the accident. Got to the spot which was now about 2 ft. of water. Walked around in my stocking foot waders and found it. No rust but the parkerizing had faded. went home and threw the wood in the oven on 150 and soaked the steel in diesel. Put it back together a few hours later and hunted with it that afternoon. By the way the 870 is offered in 3.5".

soldiercraig
April 1, 2008, 10:05 PM
Man, and I thought I was hard on my 870.....that was just down right gun abuse. The 870 can take a beating and keep on giving a good performance.

Avenger29
April 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
Somebody on THR had a Nova break the stock because they buttstroked their sheetrock wall (not hitting a stud). No thanks for any weapon that fragile.

I'll take the 870 anyday- at least the Nova isn't way overpriced, though, so pricing is comparable if that is what you prefer.

DIXIEDOG
April 2, 2008, 12:24 AM
"No thanks for any weapon that fragile."

I don't think I would call the Nova fragile, I use mine under all conditions and have yet to be let down. I don't know exactly why someone would want to use one for a hammer but if you do the same to a 870 it will break as well, even great guns can only take so much abuse. I have both a 870 and a Nova tactical and the 870 turned into a safe queen as soon as I tried the Nova out it just feels better to me.

RetiredLawman
April 2, 2008, 08:28 AM
FWIW, I have both and the Nova is my choice. It is so much smoother than the 870. I seldom use a pump and I almost never use the 870. It is the Express model. The Nova was smooth and slick to operate out of the box. The 870 still isn't near as easy to shuck as the Nova.

In the long run, I suppose the 870 is the much more popular gun as more people have them. Plus, they have been around a much longer time.

Avenger29
April 2, 2008, 08:37 AM
whereas the 870 is only up to 3".

You can get 3.5 chambered 870's no problem, but I have utterly no use for them.

I don't think I would call the Nova fragile, I use mine under all conditions and have yet to be let down. I don't know exactly why someone would want to use one for a hammer but if you do the same to a 870 it will break as well, even great guns can only take so much abuse. I have both a 870 and a Nova tactical and the 870 turned into a safe queen as soon as I tried the Nova out it just feels better to me.

Yes, you can break an 870. Not by putting it through a simple piece of drywall (which is a very weak material, by the way), though. The guy was doing some remodeling anyway, but thought it'd be fun to punch through the drywall with the butt of the shotgun.

Although, you may have to crack an attacker over the head with the buttstock one day. At least, my Speedfeed stock won't break off like that.

yourotherleft
April 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
870. It'll give you more flexibility due to lots of aftermarket products are made for it.

SiNNiK
April 2, 2008, 01:48 PM
If you're thinking of getting either an 870 or a SuperNova, don't compare the 870 to the Nova.

Nova's aren't SuperNova's. ;)

TheShootist1894
April 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
Get a Wingmaster Magnum and forget about the rest. . . . .

Aqeous
April 2, 2008, 09:17 PM
I had recently heard that Supernova's were somewhat prone to issues after being dinged up upon SWAT entires. Is there any truth to this? Anyone heard anything like this besides me??

Wildalaska
April 2, 2008, 10:51 PM
I have no choice, the Benelli doesnt fit me :)

WildbummerAlaska TM

slrassoc
May 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
Well, if Benelli or some aftermarket company would re-design the looks of that forend, I would get a NOVA. It just looks to space age!

Brad Clodfelter
May 8, 2008, 02:31 PM
870, 870, 870!