PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action?

GASCHECK
March 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
Shooters:
Does anybody make bolt action shotguns anymore? (I can hear everybody shouting "I hope not!!") :D

Gascheck

Legba
March 27, 2008, 05:55 PM
I dont think they do. I love the bolt actions. Have a 20g JC HIGGINS. Something about them bolt actions you got to love.

BigJimP
March 27, 2008, 06:14 PM
Not that I'm aware of - but there are still a lot of used ones around ( Westernfield, Sears, etc ) in 12, 20 and 16 ga primarily.

They're nice light guns to carry for grouse or something - but they just aren't that useful for repetitive shots at least compared to a good pump or semi-auto these days. If I wanted one - I'd probably check gunsamerica and see what they had on there.

mic214
March 27, 2008, 06:20 PM
The only company that I am aware of that still makes one is Savage Arms. They make a rifled slug version with a synthetic stock:

http://www.savagearms.com/210f.htm

I still see used ones (Savage & Mossbergs) on GunBroker and GunsAmerica....

Six Shooter Steve
March 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
Savage still makes a bolt action, the model 210FT. Marlin has the 512, Mossberg has the 695, or you can try to find the crown jewel of them all the Browning A-bolt shotgun. You dont see the Brownings all that much, but the marlins are pretty common out there, and a mighty fine gun I might add. I've never shot the Savage or Mossbergs, so I dont know a whole lit about them. If your gonna get a bolt action, accuracy is great, but you better get a Sims pad cause the recoil packs a punch!

BigJimP
March 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
I stand corrected - my apology ......I had no idea - thanks.

YukonKid
March 27, 2008, 06:35 PM
+1 to mic214.....Savage 210

what are you planning on doing with a bolt action shotgun? Turkey/deer?

YK

Niagara Shooter
March 27, 2008, 09:36 PM
Tar-Hunt is also still in the business of bolt action slug guns, these are supposed to be amazing (but pricey) guns. Their website is teamed up with lightfield slugs I believe and just some great stuff on that site!! (sorry but i can't think of the address right now)
NS

GASCHECK
March 28, 2008, 01:24 AM
YK
They were cheap when new, so I guess the used ones are too.
Nothing planned, I just don't have one!
Didn't someone make one with a 30" barrel? I may be going nuts, but I seem to remember a "Honker" :D
Gascheck

FL-Flinter
March 28, 2008, 07:54 AM
Marlin 55 Goose gun had a 36" barrel...I've got one here in need of a stock and re-finishing but otherwise perfect bore and working condition. They may have been ugly the way Marlin made them but with some stock work and tailored loads, they're a really sweet gun....just not for heavy cover.:D

Dfariswheel
March 28, 2008, 07:30 PM
The bolt action shogun has sort of held on for years as a low priced beginners or farmers knock-around gun.

Things changed when accuracy slug shooting got going.
People remembered that a bolt gun is usually more accurate then any other, and the bolt shotgun is enjoying a resurgence as a precision slug gun.

AmesJainchill
March 28, 2008, 09:24 PM
Are there any with straight bolts?

Just wondering, since I can cycle my M44 left-handed pretty easily by reaching around.

FL-Flinter
March 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
AmesJainchill,

I think there was a european made one or two with a strait bolt but I can't think of a domestic made one right now. It would take a little work but a bent bolt handle could be modified to kick it up and out enough to make it easier to operate with the left hand.

mikenbarb
March 29, 2008, 07:20 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Tar-Hunt? I have a Savage 210F bolt action slug gun and am wanting to upgrade it to a boat anchor. It wont shoot any slug accurately beyond 125 yds and I have tried them all. My understanding is that a few companies got into the bolt action slug guns and after a couple years they stopped making them. I was told that Savage, Mossberg, and Marlin each made one but Savage is the only one that continues and Mossberg and Marlin dropped out. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am looking at the Tar-Hunt line and am impressed with the gun but I dont know of anyone who has one to try it out. I dont want the same problem im having with the Savage. I have other slug guns but I love bolt actions.

lon371
March 29, 2008, 08:03 AM
My first Deer gun was a Mossberg 12 guage bolt. I hated that gun. Very innacurate and beat the crap out of me. I sold it for $25. Bought it back for $15. Remember why I sold, Sold it again for $25. I would assume the newer bolts are a little easier to shoot, but I still have a bad taste.

Hawg Haggen
March 29, 2008, 08:13 AM
Many of the J.C. Higgins bolt action 12 gauges were recalled. They were prone to cracking at the locking lug.

mikenbarb
March 29, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hawg, A friend of mine has a JC Higgins bolt action 12 ga. It is tube fed and there is something strange about the safety. When the safety is on it is in the forward position. In the off it is rearward. Does this seem rite?? I tried to see if someone messed it up at onetime but not sure if this is correct. I dont have the model offhand but if needed I can post it later. I have never heard of a gun with a safety that goes bang in the rearward position and it seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

Hawg Haggen
March 30, 2008, 04:45 AM
I have never heard of a gun with a safety that goes bang in the rearward position and it seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

You're kidding. Right?:confused:

mikenbarb
March 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
I am dead serious. I have never seen a gun that shoots with the safety in the rearward position either. I will get the model of it today and see if someone messed it up when they took it apart. I know its an old JC bolt action that you load into the tube then have to cycle a round to load chamber. I think I am going to convince him to make it scrap steel if this is the correct way this thing fires. The first time I shot it it scared the heck out me when he said his 11 year old son was going to use it. I talked him out of this quickly when I loaned him a 20ga youth pump.

Hawg Haggen
March 30, 2008, 08:51 AM
I think more of them fire with the safety to the rear than to the front.

mikenbarb
March 30, 2008, 06:17 PM
Im not sure what the heck someone was thinking when they designed a safety that fires in the rearward position. I think that someone needed a slap up side the head. Is there any way to convert this to fire in the forward position? I hate to tell him to cut it up but I think this thing is an accident waiting to happen someday. I know most people are safe but there are a few that like to tug on the trigger with the safety on. Someone not knowing someday may do this when they think safety is on and have a hole in something.

Hawg Haggen
March 30, 2008, 06:48 PM
I would think it would be more trouble than it's worth. I do have some guns that fire with the safety to the rear but not as many as I thought I did. I never use a safety on a SXS and was thinking most of them were that way but after checking they're not.

GASCHECK
March 31, 2008, 06:02 PM
Speaking of Unsafe . . . I seem to recall that there were M98 Mauser rifles that were converted to shotguns. I believe they removed the locking lugs and modified the bolt head, so all that held it shut was the bolt handle root. I don't know what they did for a barrel. :(
Gascheck

Hawg Haggen
March 31, 2008, 07:41 PM
I dunno bout Mausers but they did that with 303 Enfields. Bored out the rifling and rechambered them for .410.

mikenbarb
March 31, 2008, 07:42 PM
Scary stuff. My safety is on at all times and they all go on to the rear. Its a cool gun but its not worth the money to convert it and its not worth wondering that someone will screw up with it someday. I think I will take off the Poly-choke, weld it up and tell him to put over the fireplace for conversation of why its there. Safety is priceless.

Hawg Haggen
April 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
That's probably a good idea, not from the operation of the safety but from the fact that a lot of J.C. Higgins 12's were recalled.

Bloody Bill Anderson
April 1, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have an old Mossberg 20 ga bolt action shotgun. The safety is on the back of the bolt. You pull it out and turn it to the left to put the gun on safety, then pull it back out and turn it to the right to fire. If you slip when attempting this pull/turn sequence, the gun goes off. Oops! :eek:

I inherited this gun when my neighbor passed away when I was just 9 or 10 years old. The first time Dad and I went out to shoot the gun and experienced this unsafe safety, Dad put the gun away and we went to town where he bought me a breakopen 20 guage single shot. I still have both guns, but I don't shoot either of them. I demonstrated the faulty safety to a Hunter Education class 8 or 9 years ago. There were a lot of shocked looks on the faces of the dads and kids alike.

I think Mossberg builds a very good gun today. I have a 935 that is awesome. My hunting buddy has an 835 and a 935 and just ordered a Mossberg over/under. But there was a time in Mossberg's long history that they did some shady engineering.