PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 barrel questions....

mrMONEYman
March 25, 2008, 01:40 AM
I have a 870 express magnum in 12g. Currently it has the fully rifled barrel with rifle sights and is my deer slug gun. But the outrageous prices of sabot slugs is preventing me from enjoying this workhorse. So I've been in the market to find a smoothbore barrel for the 870.

Over at ar15.com, I just picked up a used 870 wingmaster, blued barrel with no choke.

My questions is, will the 870 wingmaster barrel work in my 870 express magnum reciever? I'm assuming it will, just that I will have a frankingun with a matte reciever with a shinny blued barrel. But hey it should work, right???

Nnobby45
March 25, 2008, 02:05 AM
I think it'll work, too. However, unless your new Wingmaster is also a Mag. with a 3" chamber'd barrel, you'll, of course, be limited to 2 3/4" shells. You probably knew that, but doesn't hurt to clarify.

Your're probably aware, also, that a 3" shell will chamber in a 2 3/4" chamber, and that, when the gun is fired, there isn't room for the crimp to unfold and the gun could blow up.

Thought I'd add that to the discussion, since we're talking about switching barrels around.

Lastly, a 3" Mag. receiver is only different from the standard because of a different ejector that allows the 3" shell to travel rearward far enough to eject.

mrMONEYman
March 25, 2008, 02:16 AM
I'm just buying the barrel, not a new gun. So, I'll talk to the person selling me the barrel if the wingmaster is also a magnum. In any case, I doubt that i'll be using any 3" shells either. But one question, wouldn't it state on the barrel what size shells the barrel is chambered for too?

Thanks for the reply.

rem870hunter
March 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
it should be marked on the barrel what size shells. it should be stamped" use 2 and 3/4" or shorter shells only" or " 2 and 3/4" & 3" shells" or something like that. the wingmaster barrel should fit without any trouble. i have a few wingmasters and an express mag all 12 ga. no trouble with any of them.

as far as barrels i have tried an older non magnum wingmaster barrel on my express mag. it fit but i didn't like the look and the barrel was for 2 and 3/4" or shorter shells only. i like the 3" mag shells.

robc
March 25, 2008, 05:18 PM
It's gonna look wierd.

You bought another barrel because Sabots were too expensive? How many sabots could you get for the cost of the barrel?

Nnobby45
March 25, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm just buying the barrel, not a new gun. So, I'll talk to the person selling me the barrel if the wingmaster is also a magnum. In any case, I doubt that i'll be using any 3" shells either. But one question, wouldn't it state on the barrel what size shells the barrel is chambered for too?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it will say on the barrel, and It'll probably be a 3" chamber. I hope so, since I can't warm up to the idea of a 2 3/4" chambered barrel on a gun that is commonly used for 3" shells.

Be like .38's loaded to .357 pressures where Murphy says that eventually one will find its' way into a .38 Spec. revolver and blow it up.

mrMONEYman
March 25, 2008, 11:24 PM
It's gonna look wierd.

You bought another barrel because Sabots were too expensive? How many sabots could you get for the cost of the barrel?

Yes, I've reconciled the fact that the shotgun will look a little bit weird - matte reciever with glossy blue barrel :eek:

But hey if it works then, i guess at this point in time i wouldn't complain. I just want a beater range gun when i feel like doing a little trap and skeet with some of my buddies. Maybe so ocassional hunting, but I've got other tools for that task.

I'm getting the barrel for about $70. So doing some math here: I usually shoot the Hornady SST sabot slugs, which I can find for roughly $10-$11/5 shells. So thats about 35 Hornady SST slugs worth of barrel I'll be getting. Last time I checked at Wally World, Gander, Sportsmans Wharehouse, etc, I could get some target loads, 250 rds for approximately $80. So comparing 35 rds to 250 rds, I say its worth it.