PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a shotgun

Strakele
March 24, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hey guys,

I have rarely ever had the chance to use shotguns. When I have, they have been 100+ year old guns owned by a friend. However, I recently went to the range with a friend who has a new 870 with a short barrel, pistol grip forend, and the pistol grip/M4 style stock, and boy was it a blast (literally and figuratively :) ) The skeet portion of the range isn't real big, just a couple of hand operated launchers, but it was a lot of fun, and I got pretty darn good at it. Together, we blew through 225 clays. After this experience, I'd really like to get a shotgun. It will mainly be used at the range shooting clays, but it will also be the primary home defense gun, as well as possibly the occasional hunting trip (not real often at all). I have a pretty darn good idea of what I want, but any other and/or cheaper alternatives are appreciated, as well as the best place to get them.

I want a shotgun that:

-Has a pistol grip forend
-Has a pistol grip stock (fixed stock, folding, or collapsible, doesn't really matter as long as it fits me)
-Has a magazine extension to hold 6 in the tube
-Has a short barrel

Essentially I want an 870 like his, but I'm sure there are others that can fit the bill as well, and possibly for less money. I realize that the likelyhood of finding one with all of those features is fairly low, but the more of them that it has, the less i have to buy later. I'm basically looking for a shotgun like the one on the bottom here: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_870_express_7-shot.asp except with an actual shoulder stock with a pistol grip.

I don't know much about other makes like Mossberg. Do others have something similar to offer?

Thanks!

webbee
March 24, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'd buy the 870 or a Mossberg 590 and add a Knoxx CopStock and Tac-Star pistol grip fore-end. Recoil reduction (non-painful single handed shooting using slugs) with the control the pistol grip fore-end gives to the defender. Better than factory IMHO.

.351winchester
March 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
You liked the pistol grip forend? I tried it, didn't like it at all.
Knoxx is the way to go for your stock, but choate has the FAL shaped one that feels pretty good.

yourotherleft
March 25, 2008, 12:57 PM
Go with Remi 870. I think it'll gives you lots of flexibility since I notice a lot of aftermarket company make products to fit it.

rem870hunter
March 25, 2008, 05:35 PM
try the rem 870 or the moss 500 series. as far as i know because of the 1986 law. if you want to use mag extensions you must get an older model. they changed the end of the mag tube. or buy a new model with it on there already. or modify the mag tube. you can mag tubes,pistol grip buttstocks and forends for the 870 and possibly 500 series at cheaperthandirt.com.

the 870,1100 and 11-87 have 2 dimples and a different retainer for the mag. spring. not sure about the mossberg brand if they changed something too in that area.

another member here of TFL had contacted remington about the 7 and 8 shot model shotguns and they told him they were for sale to LEO only:(. i saw a 9 shot mossberg 500 persuader or 590 can't recall which, in dicks sporting goods months ago. synthetic stock and forend with vent. handguard and bayonet lug.

sm
March 25, 2008, 06:21 PM
Deleted by me.

I have others that want input in regard to buying a shotgun and my time is best spent with them.

Strakele
March 25, 2008, 07:16 PM
Remington sells the basic gun that I'm looking at with 6 + 1 capacity.

Yes, I very much liked the pistol grip forend more than a standard one.

Not sure of the entire point of the last post, but home defense will probably be the last thing this shotgun is ever used for. I live in a pretty nice area and breakins are pretty uncommon. I just threw that in there because in the extremely unlikely event something bad does happen, this will be the gun I reach for.

Anyway, looks like the Knoxx stock is basically the only option as far as pistol grip stocks go. What about the one that comes on the Remington in the link in my first post?

Where do you all find is the best place to buy Remmy shotguns, as far as price goes?

velobard
March 25, 2008, 10:04 PM
I have a Maverick 88 that came with 18" barrel, plus both standard and pistol stock. It's not a nice recoil-absorbing grip like the Knoxx, but it's free in the box from the factory. After that I bought a 28" barrel to use it for shooting clay, doing that with the 18" was a frustrating experience, much better with the 28" with a modified choke.

I live in an upscale, historic neighborhood, but I know good and well that we're just an easy drive away from people who know where to find the nice homes, so my 18" barrel stays mounted unless I'm going to the range.

AZ Med18
March 26, 2008, 12:29 AM
I own a Mossberg 500 and I like it alot and suggest that one to you although I have never touched a 870. I got mine used for $100.

Playboypenguin
March 26, 2008, 12:39 AM
I just bought that very same shotgun. You can get a couple different ones a few dollars cheaper but not much cheaper. Even the Mossberg is only about $35 less when you add the front pistol grip. That is not enough of a difference to make me want the cheaper one since I am not crazy about Mossberg's cheap feeling, top mounted safety.

GuateShooter
March 26, 2008, 02:30 PM
get the 870 !!!

rem870hunter
March 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
cheaperthandirt.com has a set for the 870 that has a 6 position pistol grip buttstock and pistol grip forend. for $79.97. they have folding stocks too.

Strakele
March 26, 2008, 09:05 PM
Looks like the 870 is the way to go as I figured. Now to find the best place to get one...

SM - I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, I just didn't understand what you were getting at with a post that was a quote talking mainly about a shotgun for home defense, which is the last thing this gun will ever be used for.