PDA

View Full Version : ahotgun magazine tube capacity..

Super-Dave
March 24, 2008, 06:47 AM
I have a 5 shot magazine tube in my mossberg 500. I easily can put 5, 2.75" rounds in the magazine tube, but I cannot put in 6.

Last night I tried and was able to squeeze in 5 ,3" magnum rounds. They fit. Will this cause damage to my spring due to over compression? My other mossbergs cannot squeeze in 5 , 3" magnums.

Dfariswheel
March 24, 2008, 06:42 PM
It might.
It's best to not force in an extra round.
Many extended magazine assemblies use a longer magazine follower to act as a positive stop to prevent possible damage from jamming in extra rounds.

rem870hunter
March 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
not sure on the mossberg. but my 870's i can fit 4 in the mag of 2 3/4" and 3". and 1 in the chamber. so i have a 5 shot capcity. no mag extension on either of the 3. the super mag remingtons using 3 1/2" shells say that you can only put 3 of the 3 1/2" shells in the tube and 1 in the chamber for a total of 4 shots. without an extension. i don't have any 3 1/2" chamber shotguns, yet:).

sm
March 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
I am just a dumb southern boy that is doing good to count past past "one".

So a single shot shotgun works great for me, and alleviates a lot of problems many around here seem to have.

I ain't got a mag tube to worry about, how many shells , the spring, cleaning it, or nuttin'
Heck, I don't even have to bend over to pick up my hulls most times.

Older I get, the more I understand why my mentors grinned a lot, and did what they did .

drail
March 25, 2008, 06:28 PM
It's best not to force an extra round into any kind of magazine. If that last one doesn't want to go in, then you don't want it in there. Better to have 5 rounds to feed perfectly than 6 that won't.

MrApathy
March 26, 2008, 11:17 PM
the gun is considered a six shot which means 5 in the magazine then one in the chamber. 5 is all that will fit in the magazine tube unless you go to shorter shells however the gun may not cycle shorter shells reliably.