PDA

View Full Version : Old Shotgun

Paladin156
March 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
I have an old shotgun that had belonged to my grandfather. I have attempted to get it appraised and have been told everything from "a couple of hundred dollars" to over $36,000. I doubt if either extreme is accurate. It is a 12 gauge, damascus steel, double barrel, rabbit eared shotgun that was made by W. C. Scott and son. According to the serial number it was made in London in 1873. It is in exceptional condition with good bores, tight breech, and full strength hammer spring strength. My grandfather ended up with it to settle a debt during the depression. Being the great white hunter that he was and living in New York City, he sent two sparrows to the promised land, cleaned the gun and never fired it again. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jrothWA
March 23, 2008, 11:43 PM
as it is a recognized manufacturer.

Go to www.16ga.com and post there, either you get the info or be directed elsewhere and who could be a recognized smith to fully assess it.

J F Cooper
March 24, 2008, 06:24 AM
Most Scott hammer guns of the period run from $500 to $1500, Alot of things govern the value, such as Condition, Grade and condition of the bore, Photos would help, Even a top of the line Scott in near mint condition, wouldn't appraise for $36,000.. JFC

Paladin156
March 24, 2008, 06:51 AM
Thank you for the responses. I thought $36,000 was way over the top but I was told that by two different supposedly knowlegeable gunsmith/collectors. My suspicion grew when I asked them to give me half of their appraisal and they wouldn't do it. If I take it gun shows people come up wanting to know if it is for sale and make offers from "A quick couple of hundred" to "A quick couple of thousand." Not surprisingly, no one has ever offered anything near $36,000.

I'm not interested in selling the gun (unless I could get a fabulous price) but it would be interesting to have a better idea of what I have for insurance purposes. I don't know for sure but I would bet the gun came into my grandfather's posession over less than $20.

Jeff Mulliken
March 24, 2008, 07:59 AM
Take the gun to the Southern Side by Side Championships at Deep River Sporting Clays, near Sanford NC.

http://www.deepriver.net/

This event is April 27-29 and will attract several hundred knowledgable collectors and dealers of fine side by sides. You can get free opinions there till your sick of listening to them.

Jeff

jaguarxk120
March 24, 2008, 08:19 AM
Try shotgunworld.com all they talk about is shotguns all kinds. From the most expensive to the plainist of plain. They don't care the guys love shotguns. Go on there and ask, provide pictures of the gun, you maybe surprised at the information returned. Do a google search for the gun maker see what comes up, many things. good luck TF

Jeff Mulliken
March 24, 2008, 01:14 PM
Shotgunworld is a good site for some stuff but not old English side by sides. If you want to post on a BBS that knows side by sides go to:

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1&PHPSESSID=806b44809c42d8503eb3790eb1330d81

To give you any meaningful answers they will expect meaningful details. Provide the serial number, barrel length, any information on the barrel rib with the exact wording, good pictures especially of the engraving and stock.

Still nothing beats hands on inspection....

Jeff

obsessed with double
May 2, 2008, 05:55 PM
Tell me more about it and I can probably help you out. I'm pretty familiar with Scott shotguns and I have a few of their hammerguns. I also have a bunch of their old catalogs.

They imported lots of different guns into the US - from the basic to the very fancy.

Do you have any pics of your's?

is there an address on the bbls? Any other writing?

Let me know and I'll see if I can help.

OWD

If you can't post pics, you can email them to me at:

hfn_03570@yahoo.com

6thMichCav
May 26, 2008, 06:56 PM
I know this is an old post, but here goes.

My 1996 copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values quotes W.C. Scott shotguns anywhere from $250 to $8,750.

The $8,750 is the Chatsworth, which was a top of the line gun. If there is no name or trademark on the gun, count on it being less than $5,000, and possibly quite a bit less.