PDA

View Full Version : Knife reccomendations

jdc48160
March 23, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm looking for a new daily carry folder.

I currently carry a Benchmade Griptilian with the axis locking system.

I want another folder, obviously, but I DO NOT want a linerlock. I can't stand them.

I'd prefer a straight blade, no serrations, and I'd really prefer a tanto style blade, but can deal with a normal drop point blade.

I like to consider myself pretty knowledgable about knives, but I just can't seem to find anything that matches what I want other than what I currently carry.

Bill DeShivs
March 23, 2008, 06:26 PM
SOG Flash series.

Adrian
March 23, 2008, 06:53 PM
I've carried a Cold Steel Recon 1 for close to five years now as my general working knife. Cold Steel's marketing is really annoying, but they ship a pretty good knife in this case. I've had to sharpen it a couple times, and once in a while I put a drop of oil on the workings. Other than that it cheerfully handles all of the abuse I throw at it.

RandyStacyE
March 23, 2008, 08:09 PM
I've always like my Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. Special Tactical folding pocket knife. It's 4-3/4" closed and the blade is approx 3-3/4" long. I've had it for years though I do not use it every day. I picked it up at my local T.S.C. Farm Store. I've been a fan of the Smith & Wesson knives for a while, they seem to be well made.

http://www.1sks.com/images/smithandwesson/sw-3500s.jpg

jdc48160
March 23, 2008, 08:57 PM
Are the S&W SWAT knives linerlocks? If it's a linerlock, I want nothing to do with it.

sholling
March 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
The Gerber haters will flip but when I went looking for a new folder I checked out Kershaw and few other 'kewl' brands, and didn't like them. Then I stumbled across a Gerber Presto 3.5" Fine Edge. They are also available in a serrated edge version and in 2.5 and 3" versions. It's light, the feel is right on, the grip is very grippy and it has the fasted assisted opening system that I've seen short of a switch blade. It's so fast that it's just barely California legal, and a defective one might not be. Now here is a great part. Gerber discontinued the fine edge version of the 3.5" Presto and dealers are blowing them out for $25-$55 and Amazon charges $38 for the 3" with stellar reviews.
Combo edge version shown.
http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/c/TS-SA12_540.jpg

UGAdawg
March 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
You might try looking at the Kershaws, straight blade and assisted opening. customer service is amazing. I sent mine in to get sharpened (it has a finish on it that makes it kind of tough to get a good edge) and they just gave me a new one for free, back in about a week. Really good prices too.

jdc48160
March 23, 2008, 09:12 PM
I had a Gerber knife that I used to carry, I still have it, just don't carry it anymore. It was a great knife. I also had one of the Gerber multi-plier tools way back. That thing was great. I lost it somewhere years ago.

jdc48160
March 23, 2008, 09:16 PM
UGAdawg, I may have to break down and get a Kershaw. I've had a thing about not buying one for the longest time because I had bad luck with them. Every one I would touch would cut me. Maybe it's just in my head.

I'll talk with the Snap-On guy this week, he sells them on his truck, and I'll see what he has.

And upon further review of that Gerber, no way. The pocket clip is mounted at the pivot end of the knife. That means when I pull it from my pocket, I have to rotate the knife 180 degrees in my hand before I can even open it. With my Benchmade I currently have, it's just draw and open, one hand, one motion.

gmoney
March 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
I highly recommend something from the Kabar line of knives. very solid

jdc48160
March 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
gmoney, I'll look into them too. Kershaw has some sick knives, but then I go to the features list and see linerlock, and I get ****** off. It's a bad-ass knife, then I see linerlock and am instantly turned off on the knife.

It's hard finding exactly what you want.

I think I had an easier time finding the guns I wanted than finding a damn knife.

BTW, does anyone know the laws about carrying a fixed blade knife in the state of Michigan? I could be swayed to a fixed blade if I can carry it legally without a concealed weapon permit.

sholling
March 23, 2008, 09:53 PM
I usually toss pocket clips and buy a sheath, but to each their own. It beats the crap out of the stiff Kershaw Onions. Good luck in your search.

bigshooter
March 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
gerber products are brittle and cheap, they used to be quality about 6 years ago, but they've gone way downhill.

i have broken 2 blades and one plier, just snapped right off. i'll never buy gerber again.

UGAdawg
March 23, 2008, 11:19 PM
Haha, too true on the bad luck. I almost cut the tip of my index finger off the day I bought my Kershaw. Sharp little buggers.

KD5NRH
March 24, 2008, 03:37 AM
I currently carry a Benchmade Griptilian with the axis locking system.

What's wrong with it? My wife and I have carried Griptilians for a couple of years now, and barring some major confidence-destroying failure, when they wear out, they'll be replaced with current model Griptilians.

Inspector3711
March 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
I'm a big Kershaw guy but last summer I bought a Boker 1001. I use knifes almost daily in my work and the Boker is starting to need a sharpening for the first time since August. I always sharpened my Kershaws monthly. I bought a set of Wusthoff kitchen knives a couple of years ago which was my first introduction to steel made in Solingen. So far I'm impressed with Wusthoff and Boker. Soligen steel is mighty fine in my book. Boker isn't cheap. I think these retailed for $145 but I found one on clearance in an outlet store (I think it was Sierra Trading Post) in Cody for $59.

jhansman
March 25, 2008, 05:04 PM
Kershaw's Ken Onion series of knives are outstanding, especially the Scallion. Yeah, it's a liner lock, but mine has never once failed me, if that is your concern. As for opening, I'd put the speed of this series up against any AO folder on the market; an easy flick of your fingertip has it deployed very quickly. I holds an edge better than any knife I've owned, and I've owned a few. Check it out.

Inspector3711
March 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
The scallion is nice. I like mine because I could open, cut, close, and put away with one hand. I'm frequently carrying with one hand and cutting with the other so that works out well. That said, it could hold an edge a little longer (but on the other hand it's easy to get a good edge). The lock on mine was broken by a friend. As I was saying "unlock it first" he ignored me and deployed the blade snapping the plastic (should be metal) safety lock. I carried it after that without the lock and did have 2-3 close calls because of it. After about a year and a half the blade would no longer open on it's own. I cleaned and oiled it with no success. I haven't taken it apart yet to find out why it's sticking. I bought the Boker and have been so happy with it that I have put off fixing the scallion.

odsixer
March 25, 2008, 08:40 PM
+1 kershaw.

Ala Dan
March 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Lots of good knives are on the market~! I too, prefer Kershaw folders; but
Benchmade and Browning have their place as well~! ;)

Mainah
March 29, 2008, 06:22 PM
First of all where's Tourist? Until he responds I'll jump in with a Cold Steel recommendation, but only because you don't like liner locks. I respect your dislike for them, I used to feel the same way. But I'm okay with them now, and I currently carry a CRKT.

tplumeri
March 29, 2008, 06:29 PM
I carry a smith and wesson auto. does have serrations but its a great carry, if you can find one. its nothing fancy but its durable and the auto machanism is tight.

UniversalFrost
March 31, 2008, 01:24 PM
I have the CRKT K.I.S.S serrated model 5510 and love it. the lock has not failed me once.

http://www.crkt.com/images/KISS_GRP_08.jpg

Hard Ball
March 31, 2008, 02:09 PM
Take a look at an Emerson Commander.

The Tourist
March 31, 2008, 02:48 PM
Normally, this would be about my last choice, but it fits all of your criteria.

A Cold Steel Recon 1 Plain Blade Tanto.

Personally, I like liner and frame locks. My strongest knife, short of a fixed blade, is a liner lock Strider AR. Their SnG is a frame lock, equally as strong.

However, I do understand personal prefences, and the Cold Steel meets your requirements.

Pilot
March 31, 2008, 03:00 PM
Benchmade 940 Osborne series would do very nicely. Comes in either Tanto or regular blade. Its my current EDC replacing a BM Griptilian for now. Still carry the Grip sometimes, but the 940 just dissapears in my pocket.

tplumeri
March 31, 2008, 06:35 PM
Take a look at an Emerson Commander.

emerson CQC 7B BT
just bought one.
its a beauty!

jdc48160
May 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well, I finally decided on a new knife.

I purchased a Kershaw Speed Bump.

I really like the assisted open feature, and the stud lock mechanism is pretty slick as well.

I had to slightly adjust the tension on the pivot to get it opening good for me. It'll probably loosen up more, and I may tighten the pivot back down at some point, time will tell.

It's a little bigger than my Benchmade Griptilian was, but not horribly huge and bulky. It's slim, so it doesn't stick out bad.

I really like this knife so far. It's been about a week, and I have no complaints about it at all.

KMG5402
May 10, 2008, 09:54 PM
Kershaw

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=87

I get so many compliments on this knife. The sad thing is the picture does it no justice. It's a much deeper, richer black. The blade is also lined with with metallic silver or what ever metal it's made of

.351winchester
May 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
I had a Leek that I liked quite a bit, definately my favorite EDC. I was skeptical of the Speed-Safe before trying it. It is fast as any auto(and by design, probably more durable than most), the safety is there for a reason. It was wafer thin, came very sharp. As tough as any regular pocketknife need be, and some complain of the small grip. Instead I got great purchase, and appreciated lack of an over-bulky grip such as my Endura which basically took up my whole pocket.
I'm a big fan of Cold Steel products, somewhat unpopular but they offer using-quality weapons and tools at usually very economic prices. Alot of unique, historic examples too. I prefer the push dagger as a self defense edged weapon, and they've been the only option for a while between flea market junk and expensive customs, as far as I know. Not really a knife guy, think Benchmade has a stripped down PD as a neck knife, beyond that I dunno. Anyway, CS fills a lot of niches in the market IMO and I'm glad they exist. Their free basic spearfighting course was very enlightening and entertaining.

I'd like to get a TOPS Tom Brown Tracker as a survival knife, and a Boker Smatchet (if I could find one) just to have really. After my gun buying spree.

britales
May 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
Large Original Sebenza, (Before they switch to the new "21" model). Great quality, built like an Abrams Tank!!

UniversalFrost
May 13, 2008, 09:35 AM
just picked up a Kershaw Vapor II http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=101 from the bass pro in Denver. Good price and I didn't have my CRKT K.I.S.S. with me on this business trip so I picked up the vapor II.

Good knife

bhshaman
June 9, 2008, 05:49 PM
If you like the axis lock, look for a BM 722SBT.
They come up once in a while on eBay and some other knife sales sites and/or forums like bladeforums.com.

http://box-family.com/images/hunting/knives/bm722sbt_rocks02_500x.jpg

http://box-family.com/images/hunting/knives/bm722sbt_rocks04_500x.jpg

J.Smith
June 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
I've had the blur for a little over a year and some change and finally tore the thing up after beating it to death with work. I'll be buying another next friday. This thing took prying pounding digging scraping cutting.... anything you can throw at it. Best knife I've bought next to my Kabar

RedneckFur
June 9, 2008, 08:46 PM
I would recomend a Kershaw or buck assisted opening model, or a CRKT M-16. Although both they are liner lock, they're very easy to use.

I'm personally not a fan of gerber knives. I do not like the materials they use to make their blades.