PDA

View Full Version : remington tactical versatility?

bearbong
March 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
If I decided to get a remington tactical semi auto, 12 gauge, 22 inch barrel, would that still be something that I could use for turkey hunting? That just may be the dumbest question ever, but I have a BPS 12 guage pump that I am going to trade if the remington could go dual purpose. Thanks for any advice.

john1911
March 23, 2008, 05:59 PM
Don't see why it couldn't serve dual purposes. Assuming your getting the Rem-choke model, get a turkey choke tube and go at it. Check the laws in your state concerning mag capacity while hunting, may have to put a plug in it.

Dfariswheel
March 23, 2008, 10:08 PM
One of the shotguns big advantages is it's versatility.
By changing barrels and ammo you can go hunting for squirrels, ducks, high flying geese, turkeys, deer, and also use it for shooting matches and home defense.

With the Tactical, you'll need to change the barrel, "possibly" change from an extended magazine to a standard length, and change ammo, and you're good to go.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 24, 2008, 12:56 PM
Looked at a new Rem 870 Tactical that had a Rem-choke barrel and included some funky spiked choke tube.

Dfariswheel
March 24, 2008, 06:39 PM
The "Spiked" tube is a stand-off for a SWAT shotgun used with special ammo to blow off door locks and hinges.
The "spikes" or tooth-like projections prevent the muzzle from slipping off when it's pressed to the door, and the vents vent gas so the barrel won't bulge.

Since these have a "WOW Cool"!! look, people are putting them on standard shotguns strictly for the look.

sm
March 25, 2008, 04:21 PM
Strategy & Tactics is between the ears - on simply cannot buy Strategy and Tactics no matter how the words are imprinted on a gun, or how hard something is marketed.

Somehow...folks managed to fell deer, geese, turkeys, ducks, small game, doves and quail, and defend the home with single shot shotguns and simple double barrel shotguns.

They had mindset, skill sets and practiced skill sets.

I personally have never had a critter inform me I was using the wrong gun and loading when I felled them.
Never.

River Bend
March 28, 2008, 05:01 AM
Well, been there, expermented & setteled for Rem 1000 20 gage youth model.
I shoot a lot of 3 gun competitions which involve shotguns as well as Pistols & Rifels.
I started in IPSC events with a Mossy 590 but the pump cannot keep up with an semi autoloader. So I got a rem 1100 12 gage, added a 10 round tube and fiber optic sights, side saddle, oversized charging handle, etc. Then after about a hundred or so slugs, most as fast as the trigger would pull, the shoulder, whiuch was already done in, caved. So now I downsized, same exact gun with all the sxtras, had to make the 10 rouond mag tube though, couldn't find one available, and added an extra sissy pad to that youth length stock to get LOP back and Walaa, the best Tactical 20 gage I could ever want. 22" barrel, mag tube extends about 3" beyond barrel but doesn't affect accuracy of slugs at 50-100 yards and the adjustable fiber optic sights ma:eek:ke thiose hits possible. All for under $500, can't be beat for competitions.