PDA

View Full Version : auto jams??

jaymag
March 23, 2008, 09:48 AM
I have a browning A500R.I shoot alot a remington game loads,low brass.Sometimes the empty shells get stuck sideways in chamber when ejected.any ideas????

ronto
March 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
Try another brand...I have an old shotgun that just will not cycle Winchester ammo for some strange reason.

jdc48160
March 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
Lots of semi-auto shotguns won't cycle low brass rounds.

Try a high brass round. I bet your problem goes away.

I've seen this issue firsthand. My boss showed me how his Brownings won't cycle low brass, but high brass cycles perfectly everytime without fail.

jaguarxk120
March 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
This may sound off the wall but it could be the way you hold the gun. With recoil operated guns, they have to be held tighter to operate properly. If held loosely the gun won't eject because the whole gun is moving during the recoil impulse. Just a thought TF

YukonKid
March 23, 2008, 08:34 PM
My pre-64 A-5 only takes high brass.

Get some high brass, i bet it goes away, if not check the extractor.

YK

Jeff Mulliken
March 24, 2008, 08:10 AM
The height of the brass is meaningless. However heavier payloads at higher velocity do make a difference.

In these guns clingy chambers are a frequent problem. Scrub then polish the chamber with a bronze brush wrapped with steel wool chucked up in a hand drill.

In addition the cheap promo loads use steel bases washed in brass color. The dont contract after firing like real brass does and certain brands are hell to eject from autoloaders.

Yukon, unless your A5 is a 3" mag it should cycle all but the lightest factory loads. It probably needs the action spring tube cleaned out. That is where all the old lube goes to carmalize over the years. Pull off the stock, (only remove the lock screw and the tang screw, leave the other single screw alone) Remove the action spring from the back end of the tube, clean the spring and the inside of the tube with a good solvent and a small bore brush brush, reassemble.

Jeff

BigJimP
March 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
First thing - clean and lube it / and clean it and lube it every time you come home from the range. Those guns were not made to run dirty.

Like other responder - I really doubt low brass, high brass is the issue - and its probably due to the velocity of the load / if the gun is clean and well lubed. Once you have it cleaned -try some 1 oz 1200 fps shells - if they don't cycle, try some 1225 fps load - and go up to 1250 fps or so.

If it is properly cleaned and lubed - it will probably cycle even a 1 oz shell at 1200 fps. If its dirty - its a crap shoot.

Blue Duck
March 24, 2008, 10:43 PM
I don't know about the 2000, but I own 3 Browning A5's and had two others, and all 5 would shoot anything I tried in them, from cheap walmart loads to the expensive stuff, as long as the friction rings were set right.

SDBuckaroo
March 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
This may sound off the wall but it could be the way you hold the gun. With recoil operated guns, they have to be held tighter to operate properly. If held loosely the gun won't eject because the whole gun is moving during the recoil impulse. Just a thought TF

Is this called "limp Shouldering" or is it due to the beer belly forward stance without enough belly for ballast?

jaymag
March 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Makes perfect scents on holding the gun tighter.It's a great observation and the gun is probley getting a bit dirty.I do own a belgem browning A5 you could throw it in sh??t and it would fire all day.