PDA

View Full Version : want to buy a "tactical" light

bazookazilla
March 19, 2008, 11:06 PM
I am in the market for a light mount on my Rem 870. I want to get a light that I can switch on & off quickly and will allow me to do so without taking either hand off of the "action" areas of my 870, which is a pump, for anyone who doesn't know. Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated. I think I would like a light that is operated with the left or forward hand but am not sure in my thinking. Does anyone have the miracle product??

RevolverLover
March 19, 2008, 11:11 PM
Surefire ;)

KMO
March 19, 2008, 11:15 PM
I hate to throw cold water on your idea here, but why do you want to do this? I'm guessing this is for home defense purposes? If so, a light on your gun in your own familiar surroundings takes away your greatest advantage. You know your living space better than any intruder does. Pop that light on and you've illuminated yourself. I'd sleep on the idea a few more nights and ask yourself if this is really a good idea...

hoytinak
March 19, 2008, 11:15 PM
+1 for the Surefire...got one on order for my Mossberg 500. :)

bazookazilla
March 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
Kmoffit,
This is exactly why I want a light that I can switch on/off quickly. I DO want this for HD, but I do not want to ID my position. What I want is something I can use to quickly verify a target before shooting without telling the intruder where I am coming from and going. My idea is to quickly switch the light on and then off before shooting someone or something I do not intend to. This idea makes sense to me but if my logic is flawed, I would appreciate an explanation as to why. ( Not to argue or post a smart ass comment, but if my logic is flawed I would like to know).

KMO
March 20, 2008, 07:38 AM
Well, this is a matter of personal opinion. I agree with your choice of HD weapon. The 870 serves well for this purpose. I just believe that a beam of light, even if illuminated momentarily, because it tracks to its source, could put you at risk in a defense situation. I'm sure you can gather differing opinions as well. Two good things about advice...it's cheap, and you can choose to take it or not...

Hey, if you do end up with one of these lights, I'm curious to know more about how it works...

Tomac
March 20, 2008, 08:03 AM
+1 for having a taclight for ID'ing the target. Streamlight TLR-1 w/longarm backplate & coiled remote tapeswitch. I've got 'em on my PS90's and just ordered another set for my HD shotty ($163.50 shipped for everything: TLR-1, backplate & remote). It's LED so you don't have to worry about the lamp breaking from recoil/impacts or burning out. The tapeswitch takes a fair amount of pressure to activate so it's less likely you'll activate it by accident. Plus, in case of tapeswitch failure or if you want a constant-on beam there's still a rocker switch on the back of the unit. Here's a couple of shots on one of my PS90's:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofPS90withAimpoint019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofPS90withAimpoint009.jpg
Tomac

rhgunguy
March 20, 2008, 10:54 AM
Kmoffit, have you ever been hit by the beam of a surefire at night? There is nothing quite so disorienting as being hit with an incredibly powerful light while your eyes are adjusted to darkness. On top of that, a homeowner working the action of a shotgun and yelling at you will make 99.99999% of people in the world make oops in their big boy shorts.

bazookazilla, there is no good reason to not know your target. That is one of the paramount gun saftey rules. If we are talking about an open field rifle on rifle duel at night, then a surefire would be a bad idea. However, we are talking about a close-in home defense situation where a surefire may actualy save you the trouble of having to do some retro-active birth control.

bazookazilla
March 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
does anyone know of a light available that doesn't cost 90% of what I spent on the shotgun in the first place? I have no doubts that the Surefire light is wonderful, but I could almost buy a 2nd shotgun for what they cost.

scsov509
March 21, 2008, 01:28 AM
there is no good reason to not know your target. That is one of the paramount gun saftey rules.

This is such an important point to consider in home defense. There are so many "tacticool" gadgets out there today that probably have no business on the average home defense weapon, but a light is in my opinion one that everyone should have. I used to not think that way and then started working in law enforcement and have been amazed by the number of near fatal encounters people have. Whether it's a teenager's friends sneaking in or out late at night or some confused drunk trying to get into the wrong home, these situations are common and are defininately the kind of circumstances in which a light is of immense value. Especially important for those of us who live in states where we cannot use lethal force in defense of personal property.

KD5NRH
March 21, 2008, 03:10 AM
does anyone know of a light available that doesn't cost 90% of what I spent on the shotgun in the first place? I have no doubts that the Surefire light is wonderful, but I could almost buy a 2nd shotgun for what they cost.

Check CDNN's catalog; they usually run one with bracket and remote switch for $15. It needs to have its contacts cleaned every month or two, but gives a pretty good light for indoor work.

Found it http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ledtowswbamo.html
out of stock at the moment, but if you have a rail there are a couple of other models available for around $30.

KMO
March 21, 2008, 10:38 AM
Kmoffitt, have you ever been hit by the beam of a surefire at night?

Uh, no. I cannot claim to have experienced that. But, that important point notwithstanding, let's not distort my remarks made in previous posts. I never claimed that one should not be certain of one's target, so let's lay that aside. I'm saying that a beam of light tracks to its source. Unless the home defender is certain he can switch on this tactical light directly to his target without having to waive the beam around the room as a searchlight, the BG gains an advantage (or at lerast evens the playing field). Hey, if bazookazilla wants a flashlight on his gun, by all means get one. My opinion is that they're overrated in terms of practical use in a HD situation.

chucksmooth
March 21, 2008, 09:09 PM

then you would have 2 shotguns, both without lights. :D

the surefire is worth the money. i wouldn't want to cheap out on a weapon light.

bazookazilla
March 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
kmoffitt,
I hope you do not feel that you have been placed in a situation where you feel you need to defend your response. I appreciate your honesty, and that is part of why I started this thread in the 1st place. I should have entered "interested in a tactical light". The opinions you have offered are valid and do make a lot of sense. I am still not sure if I will get a light or not. I guess just because it's on there doesn't necessarily mean you have to turn it on. (but it was so damn expensive it seems like a waste not to use it...heeheeheee) I live in a house with my wife and my dog in a city where civil lawsuit are very much a reality. I live in a very nice (do not read [I]expensive[I]) neighborhood that unfortunately is very closed to some very dangerous neighborhoods. I do not feel that a home invasion is something that is likely to happen, but I like to feel that if one were to happen I would have some effective means of defending my small family. Hence the 12 gauge loaded with buckshot...

KMO
March 22, 2008, 07:13 AM
I hope you do not feel that you have been placed in a situation where you feel you need to defend your response.

No worries...I don't mind defending my remarks. When it comes to evaluating opinions here on the FL, we all just "eat the fish and spit out the bones," right? I'm with you 100% on your underlying purpose here, protecting one's family. And the 12-gauge is a great way to do it. If the light fits your plan for HD, that's great. My personal choice is to use the same weapon (Mossberg 500 police model 7+1, 00 buck), but with no light. Good luck on this...