PDA

View Full Version : double barrel

SPUSCG
March 19, 2008, 01:24 PM
a friend wants an american made double barrell, hunting and home defense, good deal and sturdy, stainless steel barrell. any suggestions?

Laz
March 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
The only stainless steel American-made double-barrel I am aware of is the discontinued Ruger Red Label synthetic-stocked stainless steel receiver and barrels which is an over and under, not a side-by-side. It's been out of production for a couple or three years or so but amazingly enough I saw it listed on Walmart's website just the other day. Either Walmart has some in stock, or they haven't properly updated their website. Walmart pricing was in the $1300s. The only American-made side-by-side I can think of would be the Ruger Gold Label and I believe it is not in current production. Supposedly it will be revamped and available later but some rumors say it will not come back. If I remember correctly, you're looking at a couple of grand if you can find one. It does not come with stainless barrels.

SPUSCG
March 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
i think he could go without stainless, but still wants american made

rem870hunter
March 19, 2008, 05:11 PM
i don't know about a stainless steel barrel. but what about savage/stevens. are they american made? we have 2 sxs 12 ga. 26" or 28" barrels savage/stevens 311 series. non stainless barrels but shoot great.

Laz
March 19, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think he is going to have to go used if he wants an American made side-by-side. I think the Gold Label is the only one and there aren't that many of them out there, I don't think. Even in O/Us there aren't that many American made. Ruger is one. I think the Remingtons, other than the Spartans. Winchesters are made overseas. Beretta is overseas. Browning is overseas. I believe all the current and recent Savage/Stevens are imported. There may be a couple of small, custom houses that make doubles in this country but they will be expensive. Maybe someone can chime in with another American-made that I'm not thinking of. It's a good thing he can live without stainless. He may have to go with American company, foreign-made, or else find a good used 311 or something like that.

tplumeri
March 19, 2008, 06:05 PM
I just ordered a over/under 9mm stainless derringer.
i could give him the supplier....;)

jlchucker
March 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
Laz, Remington Spartans are nothing more than Baikals, imported from Russia with a Remington logo etched on them. They are identical to the same guns imported by FIE a couple of years ago except for the name. I own some of those, but they are all made in Russia-but since they are apparently made out of recycled T34 tanks, they are durable as all hell. They were about $100 cheaper back before Remington put their name on them, but that's pretty much the only difference.

sophijo
March 23, 2008, 04:22 PM
There are lots of used SxS's in my area the last few years. For $300 you can get a solid, American made double.

Laz
March 23, 2008, 11:48 PM
jlchucker wrote: Remington Spartans are nothing more than Baikals, imported from Russia

Thanks, jl. I am aware of that but didn't express myself very clearly in my post. I was thinking that the other Remington O/Us might be American-made but I now realize the Premier line is made in Italy, as Remington states on the website. I appreciate the feedback.

SPUSCG
March 24, 2008, 01:32 PM
any names in particular i may search for?