PDA

View Full Version : New Ithaca 37's

GASCHECK
March 18, 2008, 08:38 PM
Shooters:
I see by the Ithaca website that they are all up and running with new machinery etc.
How are the new 37's? A friend is looking for a 12ga pump, and I am kind of partial to the 37. He is considering Winchester or Remington also. I would suggest the Featherweight. I like steel! Just a general purpose gun, probably informal clays mostly. Thanks!
Gascheck

Ruger4570
March 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
It pleases me to see the "New" Ithaca starting to turn out shotguns, the rumors I have heard is that the quality is excellent. I just have my doubts, without a dealer network that they can succeed in trying to sell guns to Individual people and prosper. That part just doesn't make sense to me. Beleive me I am a real Ithaca advocate as I didn't live to far from their plants in Ithaca and later in King Ferry and much closer to the Non existant plant in Auburn, NY. Unfortunatly, I still have doubts the New Ithaca can survive with their marketing approach. From what I have read, their production numbers and guns in shooters hands are very small. If you consider manufacturing costs and all related costs, you have to sell a hell of a lot of guns to make it. On top of that, how many people ars going to give around $900.00 for a pump gun when a Rem 870 is a 1/3rd of the cost?? I honestly wish them well, but I am not holding my breath on this one. I also own 2 Ithaca guns right now and love them. :confused:

5Wire
March 19, 2008, 10:38 PM
I just have my doubts, without a dealer network that they can succeed in trying to sell guns to Individual people and prosper.
If Ithaca reduces the cost to the end user proportionately to the elimination of such a network, I believe they could flourish in much the same way that iTunes and the like have kicked butt in music. Delivery would still be to an FFL whose transfer fee is less encumbered by the cost of inventory. There's probably room for dealer relationships in accommodating the marketing and sales. Gun Locator (http://www.galleryofguns.com/gunlocator/locatorstart.asp) sort of does this already, mostly through distributors, without much in the way of price reduction.

GASCHECK
March 20, 2008, 09:55 PM
Good grief! $900 for a pump gun? Must be hand made! As far as my friend goes, that dog aint goin' to hunt! Thanks for the eye opener! :eek:

Gascheck

Ruger4570
March 22, 2008, 09:02 PM
5wire:. Ithaca is not offering ANY discounts, they charge in the area of $900 for one of their guns plus you will have to pat a FFL a transfer fee of.. who know how much. Mine charges $30.00 so add that to the already high price.. I know from other forums Ithaca has a died in the wool bunch of supporters out there, BUT, once the Ithaca supporters have their new Ithacas, how many more will the be able to sell? I really don't know and regardless of the quality, I just don't think middle America is going to shell out the kind of Pesos they want for a pump gun. You can still buy used ones for around $250 +/- depending on condition. Again, not an Ithaca bash, but something just doesn't smell right at times. They made a LOT of promises 2 years ago and from what I can find, they have only turned out a few guns. No way you can make a business in that world with a couple of guns a year.

3StrikesNC
March 22, 2008, 09:07 PM
I hope they make it.

BTW, anybody know what year a Model 37 s/n 2xxx was made?

3StrikesNC
March 22, 2008, 09:19 PM
Never mind, found it: 1937, 1st year of production.

Anybody got a value? Great shape, 30" FC + 28" Mod. (sent to factory in 1977 for the barrel). Both in great shape.

5Wire
March 22, 2008, 11:36 PM
5wire: Ithaca is not offering ANY discounts, they charge in the area of $900 for one of their guns plus you will have to pat a FFL a transfer fee of.. who know how much...
Well, I did say if.

Greed wins, I guess but in the long run any cost reduction at Ithaca's end, like eliminating the distributorship network, which doesn't provide a reduction in price to the consumer isn't going to help anyone.

tube_ee
March 23, 2008, 11:57 PM
but they are competing with all of the used 37s already out there. Which are wonderful guns, last basically forever, and were never rare to begin with.

They're gonna need a dealer network, and a price that's higher than used, but not so much so that nobody's going to pay it.

Trying to compete with the plastic-stocked, low-finish base 870s is a losing proposition, but I'd guess that there's room in the market for a great-handling American-made pumpgun at a higher level of finish. I don't think, however, that $900 is where that place is.

--Shannon

sm
March 25, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am familiar with the old Ithaca.
I have not handled a new one, and my information comes from those that have some idea of what all these guns are like.

One has to ask themselves what are they getting for monies spent?

It is my understanding these new guns receivers are machined from solid steel or aluminum ( depends if Feather lite or Ultralight) and the rest of the gun is machined as well to closer tolerances than the original.

I don't think some around her are familiar with guns made of real steel and fine wood, with machined parts , attention to detail and craftsmanship.

Featherlite has a Aluminum receiver and it too comes from being machined from a solid billet and machined to tight tolerances.

Many folks grew up when the stamped guns were the norm, and this is all they have ever known.
Some grew up with plastic stocks and other goofy things on a shotgun.

$900 is a fair price for quality.
I understand why Ithaca is choosing to distribute as they are, and with the politics today going on as it is, they might have the right idea in going about it as they are.

Careful what you ask for, you might just get it...
Folk want to pay less for things and someone comes out with less quality for less monies, they cut QC, Metallurgy, customer service and everything else to give the consumer what they want in a price point.

Trying to please everyone does not work either, as some have to cut corners, to recoup monies for tyranny laws so that gun can be sold in that jurisdiction.

It cost money to have a gun approved to be sold some places, and pass drop tests and all....

Better to fight the politics instead of always having a case of "I wanna cool gun virus".

No offense, still there are shotgunners and there are those that have a shotgun, there is a difference.

Shotgunners appreciate and use good tools. One of my favorites shotguns was Ithaca's Riot Gun.
Me and mine did not / do not do syn stocks, fuzzy dice and curb feelers with laser sights to shoot either.

If we can see it, we will fell it.

Some folks just need a gun they can bolt stuff onto, take pictures for teh Intrawebz , and do stupid videos that hurt all gun owners.

Stamped plastic ultimate extreme shotguns with exotic ammo to look like the lastest greatest bad boy/ girl that sells for $39.95 and comes with a kick butt video game is all they need.

They just something to bolt all this useless tack-tickle crap onto anyway...

Shotgunners on the other hand appreciate good tools, and are way more mature, understand the idea of what they are getting for monies spent, and all.

Just me,
I don't like some folks breathing my air, and I don't want some folks using my shotguns either.

Ithaca, best of luck, kick butt, take names and toss the whiners to the buzzards...they gotta eat too.

PTK
March 25, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'm with sm on this one - look at the price for an 870 Wingmaster, and they're about $800-$900. A new Ithaca 37 priced at $900 isn't too bad.

jaguarxk120
March 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
If people gripe about the price of a high quality pump shotgun, then they should look into the going rate for a high quality double rifle. They usually run about the same price as a medium size house!! TF

Brit
March 29, 2008, 05:45 AM
The great thing, to me, about the 37, flip it upside down in your shooting hand, in the dark, whilst scanning all over, reloading from a coat pocket is soooo easy. Bottom feed, no spring loaded gadget to get in the way.
NYPD had them for years, I wish I could pick one of those up (no not for $900.00) did the PD sell them?

5Wire
March 29, 2008, 12:15 PM
...I wish I could pick one of those up (no not for $900.00) did the PD sell them?

Kittery Trading Post (http://ktpguns.com/) (No relation other than customer. They're good to talk with, will work on phone, will ship to your FFL.)

These are all 37s:
Ithaca: 26"; Poly Choke, Condition: 85%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $175.00,
Ithaca: 28" Vr Fixed Chk; 2 3/4" Chamber, Condition: 69%, 37 Feather, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $195.00,
Ithaca: 28 Vr; Imp. Mod., Condition: 80%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga,$200.00,
Ithaca: Smooth Bore; 20" Rs; Deerslayer, Condition: 90%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $235.00,
Ithaca: Fixed Choke, Im; 28"; Fixed Im, Condition: 85%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $235.00,
Ithaca: 28" Plain; Imp. Cylbeed Sight, Condition: 88%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $235.00,
Ithaca: 28"; Poly Choke, Condition: 85%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $250.00,
Ithaca: 28" Vr Mod, Condition: 95%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $260.00,
Ithaca: 30", Condition: 95%, 37 Feather, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $275.00,
Ithaca: 30"; Bead Front Sight, Condition: %, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $285.00,
Ithaca: Left Hand Safety W Sghts; 24 Inch; Du Mod Wdeerslayer Bb, Condition: 85%, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $295.00,
Ithaca: 28",2 3/4",mod; Mod Choke, Condition: %, 37, Shotgun: Pump, 12 Ga, $325.00