PDA

View Full Version : which shotgun?

hillbille
March 17, 2008, 05:32 AM
need some opinions from you all. I have been buying guns for my grandson somedayhes only 2, been looking for a 16ga semi to put up for him, found two this weekend both right at $300 a remington 11-48 and a savage 775a. both in good to excelent but neither is a real collector they have bothe been hunted and are just good used guns. was wondering which would be better for general shooting and plain resale in maybe 15,16 years if he does'nt want to hunt it will be a colledge fund.( my wife and daughter can't spend guns)

BigJimP
March 17, 2008, 01:52 PM
A 16ga, in my opinion, is not a very good investment these days. The shells are $ 4 - $8 more per box than 12 or 20ga shells - and while it was real popular 30 years ago - the lack of competition in skeet, sporting clays, etc for a specific 16ga event has virtually killed it.

The days, with screw in chokes in the barrels - and the variety of shells you can buy for a 12ga - you can make a 12ga perform just like a 16 or a 20ga by loading 1 oz shells in it especially like a 16ga.

There are lots of good used 12ga semi-autos on the market - Benelli is my personal favorite - but Remingtion, Browning, Beretta, etc all make good guns - just a matter of how much you want to spend / what you want. But in general, the value in a 12ga will be much better down the road.

A 12ga Benelli Super sport is my primary travel gun - and I'll just change my shells to use it for quail or doves, pheasant, water fowl or skeet, trap or sporting clays. It's a very light - great gun in the field - not a perfect Trap gun - but it does everything pretty well. I love the 16ga as well - but good investment - no. Finding inexpensive shells so he can shoot it - no. But if you really want the 16ga you found - go with the Remington - but I doubt the value will increase over where it is now.

hillbille
March 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
thanks bijim ive got him 28,12,20,410 in pumps and 20 semi allready just looking for something unusual in 16 I know it won't double in value or anything like that just hope he can get his money back plus a few dollars if he decides he does'nt like to hunt or shoot. I try to stay in 200-250 range they seem to be easier to sell if need be. remington is firm savage is a little more flexible i might even get it for 225.

BigJimP
March 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
At $ 225 I doubt you'll get hurt too bad on it.

I'm like you - I have a variety of shotguns in 12, 20, 28 and .410 - and a couple of lonely 16ga's ( but at $ 15 a box for 16ga shells out here / I just don't shoot the 16's anymore ).

Its good to put a few shotguns away for the kids/grankids in the family / I've done the same thing (and a few handguns as well.) I usually pass them on when they turn about 16 ( for the girls too ). My #9 grandchild was born a couple of years ago - and it looks like #10 might be on the way later this Fall ....for me / so you have to find a couple of good deals where you can.

hillbille
March 17, 2008, 06:40 PM
thanks for advice jim still leaning towards savage, only because its unusual to find at least around here, as per shells price last time I looked was the same on everything but the 28 they are almost double, but 16 are same as 12 and 20's just have to get them at begining of season cause as year goes on they get harder to find. best wishes with #10 hope all goes well.