View Full Version : are 20 ga. shotgun gaining

March 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
I thought I read that 20 Ga. shotguns were gailing in popularity. Does any one know for a fact one way or the othe. I just bought an 870 20 ga. and was thinking to get another for my son. If they are then we should see ammo for the 20's.

March 14, 2008, 03:15 PM
There are lots of 20ga guns around / and lots of inexpensive ammo.

But in the last 20 years with screw in chokes in shotguns - to make them more versatile for a variety of game and games like skeet, sporting, trap etc - one gun can really do a lot of things. The 12ga is still a lot more popular than the 20ga today. Today with a variety of commercial shells available for the 12ga - its easy to buy a 7/8 oz load for a 12ga ( which is the same load as a 20ga ) so today you can really make a 12ga perform like a 20ga very easily. If you're a reloader its possible to make a 12ga peform like a 28ga as well with a 3/4 oz load.

20ga guns are typically a little lighter than a 12ga - so they are easier to carry in the field often - but there are lighter 12ga's out there too. Remember the heavier the gun the less recoil you get - so a 7/8 oz load at 1200 fps in a 12ga 8 lb gun will be about 20% less recoil than in a 7lb gun like a typical 20ga.

I have a number of shotguns in 20ga - and I like them a lot - pumps, over unders and semi-autos - but I don't really need them these days unless I'm shooting a gague specific competition / but I'm not getting rid of them either. But if I'm traveling down south - want to do some dove, quail hunting - maybe shoot some trap or skeet - maybe some sporting clays and I only want to travel with one gun - I'll always take a 12ga and just adjust my shells accordingly to what I'm doing. But if you like the 20ga stay with it - its a good gun for lots of things at least up to about 1oz of shot.

March 14, 2008, 03:36 PM
It is hard to find used 20 gauge guns in the used rack. I have been looking to inspect a Stevens 311 in 20 gauge and the dealers tell me they can't keep 20 gauge in stock. There is a lot of demand for them.

I could go to gunbroker or one of the other sites but I can't inspect it before I shell out the cash. Though I have had good luck buying from gunbroker, I want to closely inspect this gun before I pay for it. It will probably be my last gun purchase.

I went to 20 gauges a few years ago for my main gun and I can't really tell the difference though I am sure a 12 might give me better chances in the uplands.

March 15, 2008, 07:18 AM
did you know some Wal-Marts will special order a gun for you- I know they order Remintons at a good price.

March 15, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm certainly the farthest thing in the world from being an expert- but I still see the 20 as going strong. Another theory I kinda waller around a bit is that shotgun demand kinda ebb and flows and changes from time to time. A few years ago- I played the dickens readily finding my beloved 16ga shells locally. Now, the stuff is everywhere- even talked myself into an old 101.6 Ranger SxS to go with my old Win 1200.