PDA

View Full Version : are 20 ga. shotgun gaining

nottelybill
March 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
I thought I read that 20 Ga. shotguns were gailing in popularity. Does any one know for a fact one way or the othe. I just bought an 870 20 ga. and was thinking to get another for my son. If they are then we should see ammo for the 20's.

BigJimP
March 14, 2008, 03:15 PM
There are lots of 20ga guns around / and lots of inexpensive ammo.

But in the last 20 years with screw in chokes in shotguns - to make them more versatile for a variety of game and games like skeet, sporting, trap etc - one gun can really do a lot of things. The 12ga is still a lot more popular than the 20ga today. Today with a variety of commercial shells available for the 12ga - its easy to buy a 7/8 oz load for a 12ga ( which is the same load as a 20ga ) so today you can really make a 12ga perform like a 20ga very easily. If you're a reloader its possible to make a 12ga peform like a 28ga as well with a 3/4 oz load.

20ga guns are typically a little lighter than a 12ga - so they are easier to carry in the field often - but there are lighter 12ga's out there too. Remember the heavier the gun the less recoil you get - so a 7/8 oz load at 1200 fps in a 12ga 8 lb gun will be about 20% less recoil than in a 7lb gun like a typical 20ga.

I have a number of shotguns in 20ga - and I like them a lot - pumps, over unders and semi-autos - but I don't really need them these days unless I'm shooting a gague specific competition / but I'm not getting rid of them either. But if I'm traveling down south - want to do some dove, quail hunting - maybe shoot some trap or skeet - maybe some sporting clays and I only want to travel with one gun - I'll always take a 12ga and just adjust my shells accordingly to what I'm doing. But if you like the 20ga stay with it - its a good gun for lots of things at least up to about 1oz of shot.

ebutler462
March 14, 2008, 03:36 PM
It is hard to find used 20 gauge guns in the used rack. I have been looking to inspect a Stevens 311 in 20 gauge and the dealers tell me they can't keep 20 gauge in stock. There is a lot of demand for them.

I could go to gunbroker or one of the other sites but I can't inspect it before I shell out the cash. Though I have had good luck buying from gunbroker, I want to closely inspect this gun before I pay for it. It will probably be my last gun purchase.

I went to 20 gauges a few years ago for my main gun and I can't really tell the difference though I am sure a 12 might give me better chances in the uplands.

nottelybill
March 15, 2008, 07:18 AM
did you know some Wal-Marts will special order a gun for you- I know they order Remintons at a good price.

10-96
March 15, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm certainly the farthest thing in the world from being an expert- but I still see the 20 as going strong. Another theory I kinda waller around a bit is that shotgun demand kinda ebb and flows and changes from time to time. A few years ago- I played the dickens readily finding my beloved 16ga shells locally. Now, the stuff is everywhere- even talked myself into an old 101.6 Ranger SxS to go with my old Win 1200.