PDA

View Full Version : recoil reducer for shotgun

nottelybill
March 14, 2008, 12:09 PM
do they make a recoil reducer for the inside of the stock for shotguns similar to the one on my ar15/m4?:confused:

BigJimP
March 14, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't know what you have on your M4 - but yes, there are a number of recoil reducers on the market.

One in particular is a cyclinder about 4" long filled with mercury and you can get them in a variety of weights - so it adds weight and as the gun recoils there are passages inside the cyclinder to allow the mercury to flow reducing the recoil. They work ok. You can replace the end cap on a semi-auto with a recoil reducing end cap - filled with mercury and adding weight as well.

I've also taken an empty shotshell - filled it with shot - taped it up and put it inside the stock ( where the stock bolt goes ) to add some weight and reduce recoil. Adding a pound to a gun will reduce recoil about 12.5% and that is a lot.

The trick is adding it to the gun so you don't foul up the balance that you change the swing characteristics significantly. For that reason, I don't really like the weight too far near the back of the stock or to the front of the gun. The other trick I've used is to use some "lead tape" - along the barrel inside the forend or somewhere you have some room.

Scattergun Bob
March 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
Bill,

Tried one of the mercury devices on my m1super90 did not seem to make that much difference, I shoot buck and slug more that shot, holding the gun tighter to my shoulder seemed to do the trick for me. I think I still have the darn thing around here, If you want it send me an e-mail we can work something out.

Good luck and be safe.