PDA

View Full Version : Gun Board For CPL Michigan Question

Sportdog
March 12, 2008, 09:35 PM
Well, I've successfully completed my CCW class, paid my fee to the county clerk, been fingerprinted at the county sheriff department, and am now waiting for a post card in the mail to tell me when I must appear before the county gun board that meets once a month. Since I have never even been arrested for anything I'm going to assume that my fingerprint search will come back fine. My question is what should I expect to happen at the gun board interview. Should I expect to have to answer questions about my personal reasons for wanting to carry? Will the questions center on safety with firearms or the law? Any suggestions as to what I am in for or is it the individual board members have different types of questions and styles of "grilling". The answers that I got to my questions about the CCW class were pretty much right on and were much appreciated. Any help with my gun board interview and what I might expect would also be very much appreciated. Thanks Guys!:)

langenc
March 12, 2008, 09:47 PM
I would suggest you check with the county clerk and get the schedule of board meetings so that you can somewhat anticipate the meeting date. But for some getting off work is not an issue-others need to plan a day off.

In our area you are just asked the same questions that you answered in writing-and the meeting is taped. No question as to 'why'? Yours may be different.

Dave85
March 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
I thought they had done away with such a thing. I am in Oakland Co., and was not required to go before any board. I completed the requisite training, suspended my 4th amendment rights (i.e. submitted to fingerprinting and the background check), filled out the application, took the written test, and supplied them with a photo suitable for the license. Since they can't legally deny you a license if you meet all the criteria, I'm surprised they bother. I can't see where they would have any right to ask you anything other than the questions you have already answered on the application.

They probably just make you appear before them so they can eyeball you. You know, to see if you're a nut. So I guess the key would be this: Don't act like a nut.:D

Sportdog
March 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
I live in Cass County and none of the surrounding counties require you to appear before the gun board in person. I have been told (not confirmed) that our Sheriff does not like or does not agree with "shall issue" CPL requirements and does all he can to make the process difficult without violating the law. Because of the attitude that the Sheriff is said to have I guess that I am expecting some "trouble". I hope that I am wrong. I just thought that some others had been before a gun board and could give me some possible insight.

Dave85
March 13, 2008, 12:26 AM
I guess your best bet is to go in confident. Don't have a chip on your shoulder, but don't be meek either. You've met the state's requirements, so you are good to go to get the license. And good for you for going through the process. When I hear of things like this, I tend to think they are making folks jump through this hoop just to bully them, and thereby reduce the numbers of people who apply. Don't get ruffled, and it will probably go smoothly. Keep us updated.

klausmotown
March 13, 2008, 03:42 AM
Curious what county you are in and what counties require this. I got my CPL about a year and a half ago and only had to go through what was stated by Dave85. My father has had his CPL (formerly CCW) since the 80s and he never had to appear before any council. We've lived in metro Detroit for 35+ years and this is the first I have heard of this.

SW40F
March 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
We live in Ottawa County. The gun board review was pretty much a formality, but we had to appear in person.

The County Clerk, County Sheriff and Prosecuting Attorney were represented. The clerk read the information on the application and asked if it was correct and if there were any additions since we filled out the application. The Clerk took a quick 'vote' and each said 'OK' in turn. That was it, the clerk handed us the paperwork and off we went upstairs to complete the process.

Here in Ottawa county it's a chance for the Sheriff and Attorney to see you in person.

Don't sweat it, just be your normal Joe Average Citizen self, and it will go OK.

NMIWolverine
March 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
No gun board in Washtenaw County. They pretty much gave me mine without a fuss.

Mike40-11
March 14, 2008, 09:13 PM
Weird. Wish I could help, but no gun board for mine either. Sent in the paperwork and got a letter to come get the permit a few weeks later.

I wouldn't sweat it much. Since Michigan went "shall issue", they have to have a specific reason to deny it. Just be yourself. Unless of course you're a sloppy disreputable sort. Then be someone cleaner and nicer.:D

BubbaX
March 15, 2008, 07:19 PM
See quote below from their page.

"This Board determines whether or not to grant permits to citizens who make application for various uses of handguns."

http://www.saginawcounty.com/clerk/ccw_board.html

Dave85
March 16, 2008, 02:08 AM
See quote below from their page.

"This Board determines whether or not to grant permits to citizens who make application for various uses of handguns."
Fortunately for Michiganders, the criteria they use to make their determination is strictly defined by law.

Stevie-Ray
March 16, 2008, 02:53 AM
Well, in Wayne county, the gun board says yes or no by looking at your application, there is no appearing before them. At one time there was a few that got denied "just because," in other words, to show their power. The old "good character" letters were grossly illegal, also, and were another pain in the butt for applicants, designed to keep them from bothering. Wayne county has also had anti-gun sherriffs and county executives for the most part, and it sticks in their craw that Michigan is a shall-issue state. I suppose it always will. Tough. It's a good thing we at least have a pro-gun Attorney General.

hanno
March 16, 2008, 09:20 AM
It's a good thing we at least have a pro-gun Attorney General.

It is a very good thing.

freakshow10mm
March 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
No gun board in Washtenaw County.
They have a gun board, they just don't require you to be present in person for their meeting. Keweenaw County is the same way. Now I live in Houghton County and the sheriff requires your presence. I don't know about renewals though.

Chui
March 17, 2008, 09:08 PM
How are renewals in Washtenaw? Do they require one to attend the "renewal" classes or IDPA, shooting instructing and shooting classes are okay. In Oakland you checked a box stating that you had been training and I provided them copies of certificates which they only looked at, smiled and snapped my picture.

Dave85
March 18, 2008, 12:06 AM
Chui,
They took your picture? I had to go to Kinko's and pay $10 to get some passport photos done.:mad: Well, at least they captured my rugged good looks.:D

crankshop1000
March 18, 2008, 08:59 AM
No board in St.Clair Co either. It would be very interesting for you to post the details of your adventure at the gun board for us to see what we are missing.

hanno
March 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
It would be very interesting for you to post the details of your adventure at the gun board for us to see what we are missing.

Yes, please let us know how it went.

45Dave
March 18, 2008, 03:11 PM
I attended several of the first gun boards here in Washtenaw County as an observer. At that time I was teaching the Home Protection class and wanted to see first hand what went on at a gun board meeting.

Basically, the application came in from the country prosecutor with any questions, it then went to a representative from the county sheriff, then local police and then state police. ( don't quote me about the order) If any one of the people had an abjection it was discussed and the representative from the clerks office (pro gun) insisted they make a decision based on the law because they had to let the person know why they were to be denied. I did get to witness several applications being rejected because the bozo's had outstanding problems. The only time I saw people in front of our board were some people that had done something to lose there CPL such as arrest, one fella wife put a personal protection order on him, that sort of thing.

Off hand I only am aware of one person who was called in to talk about his application, he is 72, had had one of the old CCW for 40 years, a gun smith, former army officer. 45 years ago he shot and killed someone who had broken onto a base ( he was a major at that time ) in a very secured area. This was brought to court and he was found innocent and the shooting justified both by civilian and military review. Our prosecutor (anti gun) wanted to know if he was "safe" with a gun in society or posed a risk for something that happened 45 years ago. Needless to say, by time he was done he recived his CPL.

Sportdog
March 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
I received my postcard informing me that I need to appear before the gun board on April 10th. I will update this thread when I'm finished with the board and let you all know what happened and my experience. Thanks for all the comments.

mhoy40
March 27, 2008, 03:06 PM
i dont know if your in washtenaw county mich. or not but there is most certanly a gun board in washtenaw county,mi ive been dealing with them for the last 3 months trying to get my permit its comprised by a rep from the prosecuters office,the sheriffs office and the state police and the clerk of the register and deeds office,
and let me just say there a pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stilling awaiting a decision since jan 7,2008. over a misdemenor charge from what will be 15 years ago in sept. they wanted the disposition from the court in virginia, so started making calls to the court down there ironicly they dont have record of it becaue its more than 10 yrs old so had to go to police dept. to see what records they had a copy of the ticket that was it, so now the board has it and here i sit waiting for them to make a decision.
maybe someone on here can enlighten me a little though i was reading thru some of the laws and the way i read them they only have sixty day in which to mke a decision if the fingerprints come back,and if such decision hasnt been made a temp. permit shall be issued until such time as a decision can be made or am i reading wrong? also as iread thru the crimes that can get you denied i didnt find any that in volved a previuos ccw charge which is what my previouss charge was and that some one with a previuos felony can be consider after 8 yrs and after 3 yrs for a misdemeanor is this correct and if so these so called laws that the legeslater in lansing write and enact are all a bunch of blank.because as i was told the gun board in washtenaw county does it the way they feel is right then why do we elect law makers to lansing save the state some money send them home on unemployment and let the county do it all save us some tax dollars. help the state economy if the lawmakers arent getting them big salaries and expense acounts and all them trips to foriegn countries the governer takes to bring jobs here.would save us millions.
just one mans opinion.:confused:

fairfax1
March 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
and that some one with a previous felony can be considered after 8 yrs ... is this correct

No, once you are convicted of a felony, your CPL is gone along with your right to own/touch a firearm for the rest of your life (short of a full pardon). Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon means federal jail time.

mhoy40
March 28, 2008, 10:08 PM
thats what i thought to, update gun board called today permit is in the wallet guess my little old misdemeanor wasnt worth the appeal process washtenaws gun board doesnt fair so well on apeals apparently,glad its finally done though.

Sportdog
April 10, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well, today was the day that I had to appear before the county gun board. There were three representitives on the board, the county undersheriff, an assistant proscecutor, and the captain of the nearest state police post. There were about twenty people gettting their CPL. The proceedings were tape recorded, no video. I assume they will later type up a transcript of the proceedings. Each member of the board took turns addressing the group with information about the interaction of CPL carriers and the police and the ramifications of misuse of the right to carry. After that we were called one at a time. The question that I was asked (after being sworn to tell the truth) was if the weapon that I qualified with at the CCW class was the one that I would be carrying. I answered that "on my person" I would more than likely be carrying a 380, and not the 9mm that I qualified with. The assistant prosecutor then asked me if I had trained with and had experience with the 380. I answered that yes I had. The state trooper asked me if I had any questions for the board to which I answered "no". That was it. They then took a roll call and all of the board answered affirmative to my application. At that point I was issued my card, took it across the hall to have it laminated and was finished. I talked to two guys that I knew afterward and they each had been asked one question. One guy was asked how many people were in his CCW class, the other guy was asked about his relationship with his two character references. In the end since all of us had been FBI checked and fingerprinted and we had no felony arrests, etc., it was a mere formality that we went through. As someone who posted here, they just wanted to get a good look at you! Well, the 5 week process is over for another 5 years and the Good Lord willing, I will never have to use my weapon for anything other than practice. Thanks to all who commented on my thread. Your posts were much appreciated.:)

Dave85
April 10, 2008, 04:07 PM
Too bad they had to waste your time with the formality, but it's good to hear that it was only that. Thanks for the update.

lou60
April 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
I received my permit through Oakland County and it was mailed directly to Me. A friend got his in Livingston County and had to go before the board. He asked them why He had to apear since the State of Michigan issued the permit and not the county? He was told it was just a formality to meet the new permit holders.

jimyj
April 15, 2011, 09:08 PM
I have had a CPL for about a year. I live in Midland County. Why would I get a letter asking to appear in front of the Gun Board after they have alreay issued my CPL? I haven't been in any trouble that I know about?

Glockfan35
April 15, 2011, 09:46 PM
could you have to jump through so many hoops to exercise your constitutional rights! How utterly idiotic and asinine, this used to be the land of the free! Hopefully they'll realize how petty and whiny they're being and issue the permit. Good Luck to you!

pendennis
April 15, 2011, 09:57 PM
I have had a CPL for about a year. I live in Midland County. Why would I get a letter asking to appear in front of the Gun Board after they have alreay issued my CPL? I haven't been in any trouble that I know about?

Since the original post, Michigan law has changed concerning the CPL. The applicant must take a class with range time, submit an application, fingerprints, a passport-type photo, and about $120 in cash to the county clerk's office. There is no appearance before the county gun boards. Licenses are "shall issue". The boards meet periodically, and approve applications en masse. Approved CPL licenses are then mailed to the applicant.

jimbob86
April 15, 2011, 10:01 PM
You all put up with this "Gun Board" crap?

carprivershooter
April 16, 2011, 07:07 PM
There is a gun board in dickinson county but it's more of a formality. I filled out my paper work paid $5 buck to get fingerprinted at the sherffs department, $10 buck for a passport picture at the Post Office. turned the stuff to the county clerk and waited 3 weeks and went to pay 75cent to have it plastic coated. didn't have to go before the board. Renewal is more forms and signing a statement you have practed in the last 30 days. and pay your money.

teecro
June 7, 2011, 02:59 PM
Seems that some counties like to make you jump through old hoops... I live in Saint Joseph (Berrien County) MI and have to make my appearance to someone on the 17th... From what I gather it's just a swearing in oath sort of dog & pony show.

aarondhgraham
June 7, 2011, 03:10 PM
Any time you start a question with the word "why",,,
Stop right there and answer "money",,,
You'll be right most of the time.

Since the original post, Michigan law has changed concerning the CPL. The applicant must take a class with range time, submit an application, fingerprints, a passport-type photo, and about $120 in cash to the county clerk's office.

'nuff said?

Aarond

dahermit
June 7, 2011, 03:12 PM
I live in Calhoun county. The first time I had to go to the gun board and all they did was call names and had people sign, and they were on their way. Seems I remember the second time was about the same. However, the last time after providing a passport size photo(took it myself), and the fee, they sent it in the mail.

hanno
June 7, 2011, 04:41 PM
Aarond's Law #1,,,
Any time you start a question with the word "why",,,
Stop right there and answer "money",,,
You'll be right most of the time.

Since the original post, Michigan law has changed concerning the CPL. The applicant must take a class with range time, submit an application, fingerprints, a passport-type photo, and about $120 in cash to the county clerk's office.

'nuff said?

Aarond

Cute theory but unfortunately not supported by the facts.

The requirements in place at the time of the original post were the same as the requirements are now. The OP started this thread in March of 2008. The requirements to submit an application, complete a pistol safety course, have a passport photo taken, have fingerprints taken, and pay a fee to the county clerk existed then as they do now.

Sportdog asked about appearing in front of the county gun board. The statute says that county gun boards may require the applicant to make a personal appearance. This has been so since 2001. Some counties require an appearance, some counties don't.