PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a pistolgrip shotgun?

Tommy Vercetti
March 11, 2008, 04:52 PM
I would and did, doesn't mean I enjoy shooting it but it has it's uses

poe2
March 11, 2008, 05:24 PM
My Cruiser and my staff they comfort me. :D

john1911
March 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
Nope, not unless it was for a very clearly defined special purpose (breaching etc.).

All your gaining is a few less inches in overall length. You're losing controllability and the ability for quick follow-up shots at the least.

Creature
March 11, 2008, 05:30 PM
I voted no. Pistol grips always seem to just get in my way and I dont have much use for them anymore. At first they were cool to look at, but within a short time I took them off my pumpgun.

New_Pollution1086
March 11, 2008, 06:03 PM
I might buy a tactical stock, with the butt and grip but never just a pistol grip.
My roommate has a 12ga with a pistol grip, I'm not a huge fan of shooting it though. He also got the barrel nickel plated it's a beautiful gun, but not fun to shoot.

T

ebutler462
March 11, 2008, 06:19 PM
Why did I vote no? Simple. Your wrist has to absorb a lot of the recoil. Come on carpal tunnel. Methinks this is a fad that will die of natural causes.

Alert
March 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
I bought one but I also have a full stocked shotgun also, I might have voted no if I was a one gun kind of guy

Caeser23
March 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
knoxx spec ops with the stock

RevolverLover
March 11, 2008, 08:43 PM
I would if the price was really good then I would replace the PG with a stock ;)

hogdogs
March 11, 2008, 08:52 PM
I already been there done that... It is cool to look at and is a hoot to TRY to hit clays with it. But I will flat out whoop some butt if you think I am gonna give up the full synthetic stock junior gave me off his Maverick!:D
Brent

zeke66
March 11, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yes, as long as the regular stock came with it too, then I'd sell the PG on fleabay:).

DonR101395
March 11, 2008, 09:03 PM
No, but if you give me one I'll spring for the stock:)

Slopemeno
March 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
Only hits count.

ThreadBndr
March 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, but only for the home defense one.

Logic there is that anything that decreases the odds of the goblin being able to get my weapon away from me is a good thing. Not that I plan on getting that close to said hypothetical goblin, you understand. But when the Marine!Goth and I were doing some tactic drills, I discovered how easy it was for him to disarm me. That didn't happen anymore with the new Mossberg (which has a pistol grip) when we ran the same scenerio when he was home on leave last month.

predator86
March 12, 2008, 12:15 AM
i have a pistol grip on my fore end, it helps carrying it all day, on the same shotgun i have a pistol gripped full stock so that i have full control and can still take it out to hit clays

darrentxs
March 12, 2008, 12:28 AM
I voted no & won't be putting a buttstock on my handguns either.

Playboypenguin
March 12, 2008, 12:32 AM
They are uncomfortable when fired, hard to shoot accurately, and serve no real purpose. They only exist because internet Rambo, commando wanna-be types like them and think they make them look cool...so of course I voted "yes." :D

YukonKid
March 12, 2008, 01:10 AM
I went with a Butler Creek folder on my 870, so i think i have the best of both worlds. They are fun to shoot, but not really practical at all. I would look into knoxx stocks.

YK

Maser
March 12, 2008, 02:06 AM
I've got both rear and forend pistol grips made by TacStar for my Mossberg 500. It's really comfortable to shoot even with magnum 3" loads.

RoscoeC
March 12, 2008, 02:35 AM
Logic there is that anything that decreases the odds of the goblin being able to get my weapon away from me is a good thing.

How about being able to hit accurately with it long before the goblin gets that close? PGO shotguns are not a good idea.

plateshooter
March 12, 2008, 04:20 AM
I bought one, didn't NEED it but I wanted something different. It came with a laser and led light. It is great fun to shoot with the laser on it because where ever the dot goes the shot goes. Without the laser, it is pretty useless and I doubt I could hit anything with it unless I am really lucky. I don't depend on it for anything other than a range toy, but it sure is fun for that purpose.

M14fan
March 12, 2008, 05:30 AM
If the price is right. The pistol grip can always be replaced (usually relatively inexpensively) with a good shoulder stock.

ThreadBndr
March 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
Roscoe, absolutely - I never intend to let a goblin get within arms reach of me ever again. But there are some spots in my house that will always be blind corners/ambush points. I'm a pretty small (well short at any rate) gal and I like the Mossberg and feel more in control of it because of the grip. That's the most important thing, right?

I'll certainly never shoot clays with it! But then, that's not what I bought it for - fancy factory camo notwithstanding. It's the right size for me when the stock is collapsed back, it's easy for me to hold, hang on to and fire without ending up on my backside. This is a rather single purpose weapon - and for that purpose, it is what I want right now.

Will I grow beyond it? Possibly. Even likely. I want to learn to shoot clays with my son someday and I'm certainly going to be getting a different shotgun for that.

Thanks for your opinion.

SilentHitz
March 12, 2008, 07:26 PM
I used to own a Mossberg 500 pistol grip ( was stolen) for home defense...easier for me to handle from a wheelchair:) Probably gonna get another one:D

tplumeri
March 12, 2008, 07:27 PM
Been there, done that. bought the interchangable mossberg years ago (full legnth barrell, full stock with extra 18.5 inch barrell and pistol grip) traded it for a 30-30.
just bought a modified pistol grip to put on my mossberg 500.
they are a bear to shoot but i figure ill only be shooting one or two rounds from my bed! (its leaning against my nite stand)

slick slidestop
March 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
No....

Too awkward for me. I guess I'm old school.

I grew up hunting with traditional stocks on my shotguns, and anything different is just "wrong" even on a tactical shotgun....just doesn't feel natural to me.

Hawg Haggen
March 12, 2008, 10:36 PM
No.

curmudgeon1
March 12, 2008, 10:45 PM
My Mossberg 12ga. 18.5" pump has a Knoxx pistol grip on it that makes it fun to shoot, and it's a good HD gun for maneuvering in close quarters. It's easy to aim accurately off the hip at ranges up to 21ft.

Alert
March 13, 2008, 03:37 AM
:)

SR420
March 13, 2008, 05:40 AM
I've never owned a shotgun that did not have a pistol grip... :cool:

kozak6
March 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
If it were a really good deal, I'd buy it and install a conventional stock.

I have no use for a pistol grip shotgun.

zxcvbob
March 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
I might buy a SxS pistol if the price was right -- but probably not a 12 gauge. A 20 or 28 would be about right.

I've shot a 16 gauge muzzle loading pistol before and you would not believe how loud that was. It didn't really sound like a gun at all, it more went "B O O M !" when it roared, with lots of fire and smoke. (how could you not like something like that?)

I have no use for a pistol grip shotgun.
Somethings don't really need a use, they are just for fun. :)

Playboypenguin
March 13, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have no need what-so-ever for one but I do want this one. :)

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/093892000/93892402/pix1315367500.jpg

Jag351
March 13, 2008, 07:24 PM
I really want to buy the grip for my Mossberg 500. I have other shot guns, it would be a try to shoot it, and if was a no go then no big deal. I have no experience with one at all.

rantingredneck
March 13, 2008, 07:31 PM
I've got a Mossberg pistol grip for my 500 and a speedfeed pistol grip for my 870s (It will also fit a 500 with a different bolt and adapter that are included in the package, but I've never installed it on the 500). That all being said, the only time those go on either shotgun is when I'm travelling and want to toss a scattergun in the suitcase for hotel room defense duty. Though I'm travelling now with only a .380 and a .45. I'm undergunned!!!!:eek:

They aren't really practical for anything better than across the room shots for me. Not painful to shoot per se, but definitely not something I'd want to shoot a lot at one time.

My shotguns all wear regular buttstocks under normal circumstances.

Nemsis
March 13, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have a pistol grip but havn't used it yet I'm having too much fun with my knoxx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Nemsis1/my870knoxxL.jpg

RandyStacyE
March 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
I like my forend grip. I have tried ONLY 2 brands and I can honestly say that the Advanced Technoloty forend grip SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. I mean anyone that has ever tried it has to admit that it is a piece of junk. This thing flops from side to side and offers absolutely no stability. This is the one:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/211RXT1EGXL._AA206_.jpg

I like the TacStar forend grip:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/21/23/99/i212399sq04.jpg

This thing is rock solid.

TheNatureBoy
March 14, 2008, 12:18 AM
No! I was checking out a few pictures of shotguns with pistol grips and thumb holes in the recent edition of "Turkey and Turkey Hunting". I might consider using one for home defense purposes, but other than that......

Jag351
March 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
I just ordered a pistol grip form my Mossberg, it should be hear next week then I will have first hand knowledge.

Maser
March 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but did any of you guys who own a TacStar pistol grip forend have to grind away some of the material on top so it wasn't rubbing against the bottom of the barrel? I know I had to because it was taking WAY too much strength to cycle it with so much resistance. :eek:

Tommy Vercetti
March 14, 2008, 10:13 PM
I honestly hope nobody thought that I meant the foregrip :rolleyes:

saboteur
March 14, 2008, 11:30 PM
Playboy, I've got that exact one. I have shot mine and a single pistol grip Mossy several times. It is not bad, in fact it is fun. The Mossberg is so light that I fird it one handed a few times...that is less fun, but do-able.

Playboypenguin
March 14, 2008, 11:33 PM
Playboy, I've got that exact one. I have shot mine and a single pistol grip Mossy several times. It is not bad, in fact it is fun. The Mossberg is so light that I fird it one handed a few times...that is less fun, but do-able.
How much did it cost you? My dealer has it for $379. I am considering getting it.

Anchorage
March 15, 2008, 12:09 AM
I been wanting one ever since I saw kate beckensale shoot her pistol grip shotgun at the enemy.. she came out of the water and emptied it on the BG..

She was hot, the PG Shotgun was cool ! and it had a light on it. Totally awesome,

When I get the spare funds, I'd get a maverick 88 with pistol grip.

Alert
March 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
what movie?

yourotherleft
March 15, 2008, 01:48 AM
I vote no. To me, they're not as natural as the regular stock. Plus it took a little more space in my medium size safe. They look good no doubt it, but it's just not for me. In fact, I'm selling my fn tactical police and getting a remi 870p instead. I'm pretty sure I'm making a right decision here :p

trigger happy
March 15, 2008, 03:37 PM
I've never shot it though, just never get around to it

BigV
March 15, 2008, 05:32 PM
If you have never used a pistol grip on a shotgun for Turkey Hunting you are missing out! Its so much more comfortable to hold for long periods of time (like waiting for an active bird to get closer) and feels great when sitting on your backside waiting…

trigger happy
March 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
I look at it like it belongs in the same category as an airweight .38 loaded with +P hollowpoints

carried when everything else is too big and shot only if you absolutely have to

RedneckFur
March 15, 2008, 06:37 PM
Nope, I like not having sprained wrists. After shooting a shotgun one handed before, I realise that its a stunt best left in Hollywood.

'Sides, i'm pretty sure anything I could do with a pistol grip, I can do just as well with my 20" wingmaster.

rantingredneck
March 15, 2008, 08:40 PM
How much did it cost you? My dealer has it for $379. I am considering getting it.

Take a look at Remington's premier dealer version that comes with the butler creek folder. Gives you the best of both worlds.

RandyStacyE
March 15, 2008, 09:20 PM
SORRY Tommy Vercetti,

I for some reason thought you meant a forend grip.

I would have to say that if you are considering a pistol grip then to try the Advanced Technologies folding stock. That will give you the option to use the pistol grip or the stock.

trigger happy
March 16, 2008, 07:38 AM
I'm tempted to buy a nickel plated Mossberg 500

and using the pistolgrip

I already have a fullstock shotgun so

SR420
March 16, 2008, 07:55 AM
Pistol grips are great !! :)

http://www.athenswater.com/images/3-HDWs.jpg

parrothead2581
March 16, 2008, 09:36 PM
No. I find them incredibly unattractive and uncomfortable.

Anchorage
March 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
Movie: it was underworld 2. Yeah, the recoil must be a sob. but I think using reduced recoil loads would make it better. I ahve yet to shoot one, I dont have a pistol grip.

Jag351
March 18, 2008, 08:41 AM
Well I got my grip installed, but it has been raining for 2 days, so I have yet to shoot it. I do like the handiness, and think that it will see some use riding around in my pick-up, in always handy, hardly shot role.

YukonKid
March 21, 2008, 12:58 AM
nice M1 SR420,

I think i said so already but if not, Yes i would/did buy one. They are fun and easy to instal/uninstal. I have a tac*star pistol grip and a butler creek folder as well the standard stock for my 870 dick around gun. I would not use for them for anything but fun though. They aren't as accurate and i think that if i ever had a break in it would be more natural to pull a weapon to my shoulder.

YK

Playboypenguin
March 21, 2008, 03:03 AM
Okay, you guys convinced me. I ordered a Remington "Home Defender" today. :)

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_870_express_7-shot.asp

drail
March 21, 2008, 05:58 AM
If you purchase a pistol grip shotgun would it meet the requirement to be registered as an AOW since it never had a shoulder stock fitted to it? And if if it could classed as AOW, could you then shorten the barrel to less than 18"? Any experts out there? And yes, I know that one should not make use of legal advice off of a forum. I'm just curious.

curmudgeon1
March 21, 2008, 11:30 PM
Pbp:
Good looking choice on your Remington "home defender".
I think the Knoxx BreachersGrip will fit the 870 if you want to reduce the felt recoil 50%.

Bill DeShivs
March 22, 2008, 01:23 AM
drail
Yes, if you wanted to make an AOW-that would be the route to go.
It still costs $200 for the tax stamp to make an AOW. Transfers are $5.

trigger happy
March 29, 2008, 09:13 AM
after having finally shot mine I don't see what all the fuss is about, it's not like it's a .454 Casull

soldiercraig
March 29, 2008, 10:09 AM
I really like full stocks, especially wood ones. The added weight feels more balanced to me.

webbee
March 29, 2008, 11:55 AM
I would buy a Knoxx pistol grip stock as it tames the recoil. Otherwise...H**L NO!

Alert
March 29, 2008, 01:16 PM
classy

wnycollector
March 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have a maverick 88 with the pachmyar vindicator PG on it. With 2 3/4" low recoil buck...its really not that bad. Would I want to shoot 50 rounds in a session, NO, but 10-15 rounds were not that big a deal.

Unbreakable
March 30, 2008, 11:14 AM
I find that I can shoot a pistol grip shotty just as fast and accurately as a stocked one as long as I have a sling and a vertical foregrip on the end. Bone stock they are harder to aim but you can add items that make it just as useful. They allow you to bring the power of a shotgun into tight spaces that might not allow it. And with a forward grip to spread the recoil out... it isn't as taxing to shoot. I personally would rather have a stock on a shotgun with an 18" barrel. But I have a SBS 870 with 12" barrel and it definitely has a hogue pistol grip and vertical foregrip and even a M6X on it. 4 + 1 and fits into a small backpack with ease. I can hide it under a basic jacket with my sling.

rantingredneck
March 30, 2008, 11:44 AM
Okay, you guys convinced me. I ordered a Remington "Home Defender" today.

you get the folder or the double pistol grip version??

Playboypenguin
March 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
you get the folder or the double pistol grip version??
The double pistol grip version. :)

rantingredneck
March 30, 2008, 02:20 PM
I had the folder version. Or more appropriately I still have it, but I sold the folding stock and put a speedfeed II on it. The folder was not terribly comfortable to shoot when extended.

I've been thinking about picking up a forward pistol grip for my Mossberg 500 that I have a rear pistol grip on right now. It is my travel shotgun for motel room defense :D.

wnycollector
April 2, 2008, 06:07 PM
I just got back from the range. I put 25 rounds of 7 1/2 remmi bird shot and 15 rounds of wolf 00 buck through my maverick 88 with vindicator pistol grip. Again it was really not that bad. I easily hit a man sized silhouette target and swinging plates out to 25 yards. I plan on putting the stock back on in the fall once I am done with all of my traveling/vacations. That pistol grip allows me to slide the whole shotgun into a little beach umbrella bag that makes it VERY unobtrusive while traveling!!!

TheManHimself
April 2, 2008, 09:10 PM
'Sides, i'm pretty sure anything I could do with a pistol grip, I can do just as well with my 20" wingmaster.

Try some room clearing and maneuvering in tight doorways and halls. Just like my girl says, those extra few inches make all the difference. Given that shorties are primarily meant for "across the room" and "down the hall" distances, unless you live in a mansion I don't believe there will be any issues with accuracy loss from not having a full buttstock at that kind of range.

Playboypenguin
April 2, 2008, 10:37 PM
Just like my girl says, those extra few inches make all the difference
Are you sure she includes the word "extra" in that sentence? :D

evan9201
April 2, 2008, 11:11 PM
it looks cool but its totaly useless for HD.

Boris Bush
April 2, 2008, 11:25 PM
PBP

I opted to getting a folding stock for my current shotty instead of getting a new one

Here is a pic of the stock I will be adding.

http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/104896/20080402/212458.jpg (http://www.dropshots.com/)

Playboypenguin
April 2, 2008, 11:54 PM
I opted to getting a folding stock for my current shotty instead of getting a new one
Those are nice. I almost went that route myself. Now that you have your own you will not have to borrow that little red headed dude's. :)

thunderace1997
April 3, 2008, 12:18 AM
if the price was right then yes. I just bought this (not the actual one in the photo) yesterday for $199 at a pawn shop. Mossberg 500 tactical.

http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/FirearmsPage/Mossberg-500-Tactical-01.jpg

jared_2O1O
April 3, 2008, 01:16 AM
I like the pistol grip in combination with a butt stock (similar to an AR setup) for ergonomics purposes. I've never messed with any stockless pistol grips....however, having a pistol grip is great when it comes to trying to buy a short barrel shotgun (like a breaching gun) since it is actually considered a pistol.

Bill DeShivs
April 3, 2008, 01:58 AM
Ummm,.... no-it's not.

lon371
April 3, 2008, 06:02 AM
Yes with the butt stock. Not pg only(cant butt stroke)
DarranTX;
"I voted no & won't be putting a buttstock on my handguns either." You need a T/C Contender:D

indy245
April 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
I voted Yes, but I would only put on a pistol grip if it included a side or top folding stock.

Boris Bush
April 3, 2008, 09:58 AM
Ion371

Muzzle checks work just as good as buttstrokes and keep the muzzle oriented towards the person(s) you want hurt.

I used the muzzle check a few times and it works fairly well.....

KCabbage
April 3, 2008, 10:55 AM
Greetings all.
I put a Pachmayer Vindicator pistol grip set on my Mossberg 500 12G with a 18" barrel. I love it! My main reason for installing it is for better maneuverability inside my home and keeping it in smaller places.
I read a little of the first page and the guy who says a pistol grip only takes off a few inches is WRONG, try 8"-12".
Alot of people complain about the recoil. While it's definately potent, I don't think they know the proper method for shooting. You have to pull foward with your pump hand. If you let your trigger hand do all the work, yeah it's gonna hurt! I'm a tall, Gumbi(super slim) figured man and I control the recoil quite well. Once you figure out the right way to hold it, controllability and follow-up shots are no problem.
On the accuracy issue. I'm very accurate with my 18" cylinder bore with buckshots(full power or low-recoil) and full power slugs. I can hit a man sized target at 30+ feet with the gun at my waist. If you need better accuracy, pull it up to your face and use the sight. I've seen and read about people almost knocking themselves out trying that, but I have no problem doing it.
Lastly, if recoil is still a problem, use some low-recoil ammunition. It comes in buckshot and slugs. Although stick to full power ammo if your using a semi-auto or it might not cycle all the way.
I hope this helps someone considering a pistol grip, try it out! They don't cost that much. Take a look at the Pachmayer vindicator or the Hogue tamer.
Take care

Nemsis
April 3, 2008, 08:37 PM
normally I have my Knoxx stock on

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Nemsis1/my870knoxxL.jpg

but thanks to this thread I figured I would try the pistol grip I bought a long time ago and still havent used

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Nemsis1/my870pistolR.jpg

mic214
April 3, 2008, 10:28 PM
I picked up a pistol grip for my 835 Ulti-Mag. It is fun to play with at the range, but I find that the slide release is hard to operate:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/DSCN0150_edited.jpg

I will keep the standard stock on it most of the time.....

dad23honu
April 21, 2008, 12:04 AM
The key is to manage the recoil.

My wife's home defense gun is a 20" Mossberg 500 with a Pachmyr pistol grip. I taught her to hold it just under her right breast (snug to her lower rib cage, but off to the side a bit), with her hand/wrist/forearm all in a straight line. She knows to let her body and joints (shoulder and elbow) absorb the recoil. She's a tiny little thing but she'll shoot full power slugs and 00 buck with no problem, 2 3/4 and 3". She'll empty the 7 or 8 rounds with a smile. Follow-up shots are fast. And she can hit what she's aiming at, too. 15-25 yards, no problem. The longest distance in our house is about 6 or 7 yards.

She takes more of a pounding with my stock buttstock on my home defense gun.

I wouldn't want her mad at me, that's for sure. :D

mellow_c
April 21, 2008, 01:28 AM
I bought this "Pachmayr Vindicator" pistol grip for my 18" Remington 870. The one on top

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/campingsurvival_1997_74237982

I love it. It's got the nice "over hand" revolver style grip rather than the "semi auto" style you see on most shotguns (which I think makes it easier to point and better for absorbing recoil). It's very easy to point and shoot with. I could hit my own hand thrown clays all day with it. I believe it to be more useful *For me* for home defense, because you have no long stock to get hung up on your shirt or the wall or anything. And incase you need to be moving quickly though your house, or just taking a quick "Point" shot rather than a full "raise to your shoulder and aim" shot, it works much better. And with practice, it would be just as effective, but with the added bonus of being quicker, and less cumbersome.

At the same time. I still prefer shooting my shotgun with the regular stock on. And I usually just leave it on. My Pachmayr grip does alot of sitting around. But I'd never get rid of it. If anything, I'd just go buy another 870 so I can have both grip options at any one time:D

wnycollector
April 21, 2008, 05:31 PM
Another satisfied vindicator owner here. I put the pistol grip on my maverick 88 for travel with the family in places where I cant (legally) carry a revolver. Once travel season is over the full stock goes back on!

coldfusion167
April 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
Well I am kind of new to this entire gun thing. My first shotgun was in fact a pistol grip - Mossberg Maverick 88. It is mainly for HD.

It should do the job, no!? yay?

Hedley
April 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
If the pistol grip was included in a going-through-a-divorce-must-sell-everything-for-dirt-cheap package deal, then sure I'll buy one. I won't use it though. The regular stock is so much more forgiving while clearing trees from the hip.:D

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1456/mossy003pn2.jpg

And Playboy- I hope you have long monkey arms for that forward pistol grip. It's akward.

Juhosaphat
April 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
I would and currently own a double pistol grip 870. Solely for home defense and it's a blast to shoot. I take it out about once a month with my in laws and a few friends and it gets the most play time out of anything else there. Although I think the Saiga 20 will be getting the most play this time around...Going this saturday :D Saiga 20, 870 double pistol grip, Stoeger sxs 12 gauge, Marlin 1895XLR 45-70, CZ 452 Lux, XD40, Maverick 88 w/overfold stock, Mod 60 .22...Just to name a few that'll be attending :)

Nemsis
April 22, 2008, 12:21 AM
still havn't made it to the range with my pistol grip :( but I saw this and the recoil doesn't look that bad

http://www.knoxx.com/products/BreachersGrip.php

imp
April 22, 2008, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't. My HD shotgun has a speed-feed stock, which, in addition to holding a few extra rounds, it gives just a little bit extra leverage in case I need to use it as a club.

tc556guy
April 23, 2008, 03:04 AM
Yes.

Jag351
April 24, 2008, 09:47 AM
After the install on my Mossberg 500 I have decided that it is a mixed bag. It makes that weapon almost useless, with the one exception being defense. But when handled correctly it would do fine in that role, and be much handier to have and deploy. The above post on holding the weapon tight to your body is pretty close to what I came up with when I started messing around with the idea. Grip the pistol grip in the strong hand, place the wrist and meaty part of the palm tight against your strong side peck, with the elbow pulled tight to the side of the rib cage. This will put the line of sight 6-8 inches lower that if used in a conventional stock manner. Short range, house clearing distance, hits are very easy to obtain, and recoil is not as bad as it feels in the “hip fire” method. This also keeps much less gun from protruding to far in front of you, which could lead to a gun grab in defense situation.

Laz
April 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
Seems to me that one could fire a conventionally-stocked shotgun "from the hip" or with the stock tucked under the armpit and essentially have the same thing as a pistol grip with none of the disadvantages. In the rare circumstance, that is, that one needed that badly to cut down on overall length. Just seems pistol-grip only is giving up too much for what it gives. Just MO but I have no argument with those who like them.

Jag351
April 24, 2008, 10:44 AM
No, I totally agree. My above post is simply my experimentation. I prefer a stock. Like I said it renders the weapon almost useless. I just picked up a $15 pistol grip, simply to give it a try, and discovered it was not near as unpractical as some have said. It does limit your use with the arm. It can no longer be effectively used for an impromptu quail gun, or varmint disposer, like my Mossberg has done it in the past, since I store it behind the seat in my pickup.

Slopemeno
April 24, 2008, 09:12 PM
ding ding ding ding!....

Laz gets it. You can always tuck the butt under your arm to reduce the weapons length, but you still have the stock for a successful HIT- which is the point.

Boris Bush
April 24, 2008, 10:12 PM
Slopemeno

ding ding ding ding!...
A full stock can not be concealed very well under a long jacket or manuvered in as tight of a space. Or in states like MI where these shotguns are pistols by state law they can be kept in the car, for the carry permit does not allow long guns to be carried on said permits.

That said I can hit out to 25 yards pretty well with the two some of my buddies have. I even fired some 3" magnum 15 pellet OO buck with nary a problem......

Slopemeno
April 24, 2008, 10:45 PM
Take it to your local bowling pin shoot...how well does work?

rdrancher
April 25, 2008, 01:46 AM
would you buy a pistolgrip shotgun?

No thanks. Pistol grips, folding stocks, etc. are all a little too "tacticool" for a home / self-defense weapon imho. My 4'10" grandmother (at the tender age of 83) didn't need all that stuff when she "coaxed" an intruder back out the kitchen window of her farm house and neither do I.

YMMV

rd

glazer1972
May 5, 2008, 04:13 PM
No.

Sgt.Fathead
May 6, 2008, 12:58 AM
I answered yes as I have a SpeedFeed stock with pistol grip on my 'HD' (it's the back-up to the back-up) Rem 870. Just a pistol grip? No, no use for a shoot from the waist gun or a breacher. Shots from the shoulder, well aimed and well executed, that's the way it's done.

Nemsis
May 11, 2008, 12:41 AM
well I finnally got a chance to shoot my 870 with the pistol grip only

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Nemsis1/DSC00163.jpg

I shot 25rds 10 #8 target loads, 5 #5 turkey loads, 5 00 buck, 5 1 1/4oz slugs
I had no problems with recoil or hitting COM at 7yrds from the hip maybe it was the angle of the grip instead of the more vertical ones other people have. It was funny the turkey loads had the most recoil were the loudest by far and spit a 1 foot flame out the barrel :D.

It was fun but I think I'll keep my Knoxx stock on I feel like I have more control with it.

LanceOregon
May 11, 2008, 08:25 AM
No.

If you want a pistol grip, then go buy a pistol, not a shotgun.

Delaware_Dan
May 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
I have had a couple over the years, and contrary to what others have said they are very fun to shoot, and "accuracy" c'mon, its a shot gun we are not talking ten rings here. The recoil is much easier to bear because your arm is not rigid. Your arm is supposed to swing backwards a little to absorb the recoil, as opposed to your sholder being rigid and taking the full force of it. I have never been able to shoot 30-40 shells from the sholder comfortably, but I can shoot my Winchester speed pump all day with the pistol grip.

oneounceload
May 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
I have had a couple over the years, and contrary to what others have said they are very fun to shoot, and "accuracy" c'mon, its a shot gun we are not talking ten rings here. The recoil is much easier to bear because your arm is not rigid. Your arm is supposed to swing backwards a little to absorb the recoil, as opposed to your sholder being rigid and taking the full force of it. I have never been able to shoot 30-40 shells from the sholder comfortably, but I can shoot my Winchester speed pump all day with the pistol grip.

those of us who shoot clays will shoot 200-300 a day...no way from a pistol grip...not just the accuracy, the sheer amount of recoil into your hand, as opposed to spreading it out over your shoulder area would hurt like hell....

Playboypenguin
May 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
those of us who shoot clays will shoot 200-300 a day...no way from a pistol grip...not just the accuracy, the sheer amount of recoil into your hand, as opposed to spreading it out over your shoulder area would hurt like hell....

That is not what pistol grip shotguns are made for...so using that as a reason to detract from their usability is like dissing crowbars because they do not make good hammers. :)

Hedley
May 15, 2008, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't mind the sort of pistol grip Nemesis has on his. The angle looks much more comfortable and natural than a standard pistol grip. It looks as though it would handle the same as a regular cut-down stock.

Nemsis
May 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
your right Hedley it feels like shooting a standard stock from the hip

It's a speedfeed

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=221333&t=11082005

oneounceload
May 15, 2008, 08:48 PM
That is not what pistol grip shotguns are made for...so using that as a reason to detract from their usability is like dissing crowbars because they do not make good hammers.

and a pistol grip is no where as accurate or comfortable as a shoulder stock...never was, and never will be.........

Delaware_Dan
May 16, 2008, 02:37 PM
Pistol grip shot guns are not supposed to be that accurate, they are generally scatterguns

alfred
May 18, 2008, 07:12 PM
NO.I have never had the urge to want others to think that I was a Rambo kind of guy.I can see no other purpose in having one.Being that I have bought a lot of usless things,I can understand the ones that do.alfred

Huntergirl
May 18, 2008, 08:16 PM
No I don't have a use for one. But I will defend your right to own one.

curmudgeon1
May 20, 2008, 03:55 AM
I have a 12ga., 18 1/2" Mossberg with a Knoxx Breacher's grip for H.D., that I comfortably shoot one-handed just for fun.