PDA

View Full Version : Re: Browning 525 occasional misfire....

Nicky T
March 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse me if i use the wrong terminology occassionally.

I've recently bought a Browning 525 and when i shot it on Saturday the top barrel misfired twice, by that i mean i pulled the trigger, heard the mechanism move but the cartridge was not fired.

Any ideas what could be the cause? Is it just a case of the odd bad cartridge?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Alert
March 11, 2008, 07:36 AM
did the cartridges fire from the other barrel or did you try that?

Nicky T
March 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
I didn't remove the cartridges that did not fire from the top barrel and put them in the lower barrel no. Should i have?

Clayfish
March 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
Was the lower barrel selected to shoot first? Put shells in both the barrels and shoot both barrels.

Nicky T
March 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
Lower barrel was selected to shoot first - yes.

ebutler462
March 12, 2008, 09:04 AM
I have had less than a half dozen FTFs in my almost 70 years. When I do, I open the gun and check for primer dent. Then I try again. It always fires the second time. Some folks are afraid of shotgun shells that FTF. The worst it can do is have a delayed fire. So keep the barrel pointed away from anything that could be harmed and wait about 30 seconds. Then take the shell out and put it in the other barrel or toss it.

I have never seen a delayed fire in a shotgun shell. I have heard of them at shooting ranges. When taken out of the gun and tossed in the trash, I am told that they make a fizzle noise and burn through the hull. They didn't explode and make a lot of noise. The shot package was in place and still attached to the burned out powder chamber. A hole was in the side of the shell where the powder burned through. Since the shell was not confined, it didn't do any harm. Several shooters have told me this. I haven't seen it for myself. So take it for what its worth.

BigJimP
March 12, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm a big Browning fan - and own a variety of their shotguns - and what you are seeing is not that uncommon ( on the 525, XS, etc ).

Firing pins on Brownings are a little bit soft - and depending on what kind of shells you are using - sometimes the firing pins will show some deterioration or pitting and corrosion. But its also easy to check - take receiver off gun - fire both pins - and look at the ends of the pins with a magnifying glass - if you see a lot of pitting they may need to be changed. There's a lot of talk that some of the cheap shells on the market ( Estate, Rio, etc may be using primers that are more corrosive than others - like Chedite - and it may be corroding some firing pins ).

If the pins are ok - its possible you have a spring problem - and that's probably best left to a gunsmith to change the springs and maybe the firing pin out. I would also go to some aftermarket firing pins that are a little harder.

The other thing is your shells - the primers may be set just a little too deep for the upper barrel to strike the shell properly. But it's not uncommon for one firing pin to come out a little farter than the other one too. But if there is a big difference or a significant amount of pitting on one pin - I would replace them both.

I've had Brownings for 40 years - and one of my primary skeet guns, XS Skeet 20ga, all of a sudden was showing the same problem. Turns out the firing pins were severely corroded. I had switched over to Chedits primers on my reloads - and apparently this is what caused the problem. I replaced the firing pins and springs - and have at least 5,000 rounds thru that gun now with no sign of a problem ( but I switched to Remington 209 primers too ).

Nicky T
March 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the information and advice - that gives me some insight into what could be the possible cause.

I am going to shoot again on Saturday so i'll see if the problem re-occurs.

Thanks again,

Nick

BigJimP
March 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
How old is the gun / how many shells do you think you have thru it ?

Nicky T
March 14, 2008, 08:11 AM
The gun is only 3 months old and i have put less than 5000 shells through it.

BigJimP
March 14, 2008, 04:02 PM
Its still under warranty then probably - you might want to check with the dealer you bought it from. But look over the firing pins and take the stock off to check the springs and the pins inside too. It might just be an adjustment on the upper barrel.

If that stock doesn't have an adj comb in it - you remove the recoil pad with 2 phillips head screws - then you need a long screwdriver about 15" long to get down to the head of the stock and loosen the bolt that holds the stock onto the receiver about 6 turns and the receiver comes right off ( don't twist it - just pull it straight back ). In general, I take the stock off if I'm out shooting on a wet rainy day / or about every 6 months just for general maintenance. A lot of over - unders get some blow by junk down into the springs and stuff. Cleaning / maybe a little Rig spray oil is about all you want to do in there - and put it back together unless you really know your way around the inner workings on that shotgun.

The 525 is a beautiful gun - hope you get this resolved easily.

Nicky T
March 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Jim, i will take it back to the dealer that i bought it from and ask him to check it out for me.

Bizzarely when i went shooting today and it happened once in the bottom barrel this time.....

Thanks again for all of your help,

Nick

BigJimP
March 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
Let us all know what you find out, please.

Nicky T
March 18, 2008, 07:27 AM
Will do. I'm hoping that its just a case of i got a couple of bad firing pins on my gun and that this isn't a sign of things to come.

Nicky T
March 23, 2008, 03:36 AM
Took it into the dealer yesterday and he agreed that the firing pins were defective and is sending it back to Browning this week.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Nick