PDA

View Full Version : 870 barrels

bcrash15
March 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
hi all, I have some questions about the 870 and barrels.

First, when buying extra barrels I have seen how for some guns it is hard to find certain lengths or they are disproportionately expensive. Is it better (less expensive) to buy the 870 with a short HD type barrel and then get a long hunting barrel, or vice versa, or it doesn't matter?

Also, in your opinion, is it even worth the hassle of purchasing multiple barrels and exchanging them when you can buy a whole gun for $100 more than the barrel alone costs (from what I've seen of barrel pricing)?

Thanks!

Laz
March 10, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'm in your same position. Have been trying to decide whether I want to buy a Remington Express Turkey with it's 21 inch barrel because I like shorter barrels for upland hunting, or just buy a 26 inch special purpose barrel and put it on a Remington Police with the 4 round magazine. They don't even offer the 21 inch barrel on their website, probably for the reason you mention, they can sell the whole gun for not that much more. On the other hand, nothing against the express, but for the price of another barrel, I can use an arguably better built gun in the field. Usually I hunt with a 22 inch Winchester 1300 but last year gave the 18.5 inch Police a try with a plug. It worked fine where I hunt, but 18.5 inches is kinda loud. I'm leaning toward the 26 inch barrel which will cost around 180-190 dollars from what I've seen around here. Wish they offered a 23-24 inch vent rib barrel. No hurry really. My 1300 has been outstanding from the get go. After several years use, the camo finish still looks like new. I don't care about the camo but the added protection it gives the gun is really nice.

rugerfreak
March 10, 2008, 10:40 PM
I just picked up an 870 Express 12ga syn stock--26in barrel for $280. I already have extra choke tubes from previous 870 ownership.

The 18.5in 7-shot Express was $350.

I can get a 18.5in Express barrel from Cabela's for $120.

So for $400 I can have an Express with 2 barrels---just $50 more than the 7-shot model.

What do I give up?
1. 2 shots--unless I modify the mag tube and buy an extention----probably just leave it a 5-shot or buy a Speedfeed stock with extra capacity.

2. Sling swivels---I'll probably leave it be.

I already have a 7-shot model---this is just a back up to that---with hunting capabilities----specificly turkeys----I got a Remington turkey x-full tube on Walmart close out for $4.50. Have an IC tube in the barrel until I buy the second barrel.

bcrash15
March 10, 2008, 11:19 PM
I see what you mean. I just looked over the prices at Cabela's and I think I'd be better off going with the long barrel and buying a short one, considering the guns are nearly the same price at my local outlet regardless of barrel.

Do you know if the difference between a 12ga and a 12ga express barrel is just the finish?

Nemsis
March 10, 2008, 11:51 PM
for the 870 you could go either way but I think the long barrels with choke tubes are a good amount more expensive the short no choke barrels

but for an 1100 or 1187 it is pretty hard to find short barrels

Sgt.Fathead
March 11, 2008, 12:43 AM
I have (5) different 870s down in the safe now, three bought just to get another vs. getting a new barrel. I suppose it seems foolish but the prices are hard to beat, especially 870 Express (and Express Magnum) synthetics. I have the rifled slug barrel, the seven shot HD gun and the long vent rib waterfowl barrel models. Easier to grab when I want to go and as you'd said, the barrels can be expensive and for a few dollars more, a whole new gun. I rarely shoot the watefowl model and consider it a back-up receiver almost.

guntotin_fool
March 11, 2008, 02:53 AM
quit looking only for new barrels, any real gun shop will have a rack of used barrels sitting around, go look there. I just bought two 28 inch mod vr barrels for 40 dollars each. both are going to be used for pheasant and ducks, and were bought because i got a great deal on some cop 870's that had 18 inch cylinder barrels. If you want a cheap upland barrel, find a 30 inch full VR and get the hack saw and cut it back to 25 or 26 inches and finish off the cut with a fine file and a burr cutter.

rem870hunter
March 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
cutting a barrel down from original size will loose the choke. unless you want a cyl. bore barrel longer than 18.5". you can have it threaded to take choke tubes after cutting it. you would think that there would be a better variety. i would like an 18.5" plain bead sighted barrel that uses choke tubes. i could buy the barrel and have a shop thread it for tubes. but why pay the extra when remington could just make them avalable.

the only barrel i haven't been able to find anywhere is the 12 ga. 20" vent rib barrel for the 870. they make a 20 ga. 20". comparing remington.com barrel listings to the ones listed on cheaperthandirt.com. cheaper than dirt has all the barrels available for the 12 ga. 870. except for maybe the camo colored barrels and the 20" vent rib barrel. from the looks of it the 20" is only available if you buy the turkey model. they do make a rem. choked barrel with rifle sights or scope mount. i think its fouled up that they make a smoothbore rifle sighted slug barrel for the 20 ga 870 wingmaster. but the express 20 ga. 870 they only make a rifle sighted fully rifled barrel and a fully rifled scope mounted barrel.

1300dx
March 16, 2008, 08:10 PM
I just bought a barrel for my old 870 20 ga. but it doesn't fit. It is the Remington p/n 27599 18" and the ring is too small for the magazine tube. I can't find any info on what is supposed to fit. I did not know there were different sized tubes, I assume it fits the 20 ga. shell. My gun was made in the late sixties and was a gift from my dad so I don't want to cut the barrel but I want to modify the gun for home defense. BTW the ser. # is S179257X Wingmaster 870.

rugerfreak
March 20, 2008, 03:27 AM
1300---the older 870 20 gauges' were built on the 12ga frame----the "newer" LT 20's are built on a smaller -sleaker frame.

Found a NIB Wingmaster 20'' rifle sighted Rem-choke deer barrel locally for $169---has rifled and IC tubes and wrench.

This will work for HD and turkeys---never went after deer with a shotgun but I suppose I could do that too.

It might look funny on the Express frame--but this nicer finished and I figured the tubes and sights justify the cost over the Express HD barrel at $120. Plus they have 4 month lay-a-way with 10% down---so I just flipped em a $20 and pay as you go.

rem870hunter
March 20, 2008, 07:13 AM
the 12 ga. model 870 express and wingmaster finish

$110-$120 is about right for an 18.5 cyl. bore plain bead sighted barrel. the 20" rifle sighted smoothbore barrel $130-$145. the 20" fully rifle rifle sighted barrel $180-$200. the rem choked rifle sighted smooth bore barrel $175-$200.

the finish is not the issue. the price is pretty much the same maybe a dollar difference at the most. for my express magnum i have a 20" fully rifled rifle sighted barrel (came with the shotgun),20"smoothbore rifle sighted barrel ( brand new on ebay $102.50) and a 28" vent rib rem-choked barrel ( used ebay $105.50). my wingmaster mag. i have a 28" vent rib remchoke. and a 20" rifle sighted rem choke barrel.

mikenbarb
March 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
Numrich, (e-gunparts) has lots and lots of various length barrels in stock for the 870 at reasonable price. Some are used and some new. They offer great used barrels about half the price of a new factory barrel. I got a used 870 HD barrel 6 mnths ago for $85.00

1300dx
March 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
I ended up returning the barrel and buying another 870 to modify. It was also a 20 ga on a 12 ga frame. If the ser# ends in X or N it is on a 12 ga frame.