PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 Super 90

TIG
March 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
I recently purchased this shotgun with no manual or box. It has a muzzle break, Does it unscrew to change choke tubes or is it cyl boar barrel. I attemped to unscrew the break with no success.

hksigwalther
March 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
Does it look like this?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=10088&title=GUNNERS%20CHOICE%20RECOIL%20REDUCER%20CHOKE%20TUBE

TIG
March 7, 2008, 08:26 PM
Yes it looks like that. According to the link listed it should thread to a choke tube. I removed the barrel it's a smooth bore no rifling . Can't see any seperation in the bore to show a choke tube.

hksigwalther
March 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
The coupling for the brake is really similar to a choke tube. It screws into the barrel like a choke tube but extends past the muzzle. The extension is threaded to allow the brake to screw onto it. The coupling/choke should fit flushly on the inside of the barrel so it'll be difficult to see any differences in the interface between it and the inside of the barrel.

This is if the brake is the actual Benelli one that came with the M1 Super 90 Practical and made by Royal Arms (as above). The coupling/choke and the brake are held into place normally by just tightening the parts into the barrel like any regular choke tube. It should just be a minor task to wrnech the asembly apart. However, the previous owner may have Loctited it in to prevent unscrewing.

TIG
March 8, 2008, 08:27 PM
Is there anything different about an m1 practical(other than the break) that would let me know if this is what i have.

hksigwalther
March 9, 2008, 12:12 AM
The most significant features of the Practical is that it had a 28" or 30" (can't recall off the top of my head) barrel (no rib), Weaver rail with LPA ghost ring rear and post front sights, initially sold with an extended mag allowing 9+1 (this was deleted in the guns last few years), and the muzzle brake. It was built for the Practical gun competitions which benefited high capacity.

M1 Super 90 Practical on top, Winchester SuperX2 Practical on bottom
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/villan535/BenWinPracticals.jpg