PDA

View Full Version : Options

Cabinfever
March 6, 2008, 01:59 AM
I recently picked up a O/U Spanish shotgun at auction. after receiving it I noticed a bulge in the lower barrel near the choke. Can this be repaired?

BigJimP
March 6, 2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe - but its doubtful. It depends on a lot of factors - but at the very least you should have the gun checked by a qualified gunsmith before you fire it to make sure the barrel is sound. As far as taking the bulge out - I'd recommend you speak to Briley Mfg in Texas - maybe send them a photo - and get their opinon.

How much did you pay for the gun / whats its current market value ( with no bulge ? ). Unless its at least $2 - $5 K I doubt it will be worth fixing.

Hawg Haggen
March 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
If it's near the choke and still patterns good I wouldn't worry about it. There's not much pressure there. Now if it was near the chamber it would be a different story.

Ruger4570
March 6, 2008, 09:10 PM
There may also be the option of cutting off the bad part and having screw in chokes added. It depends on how short it will be and if still legal.

Cabinfever
March 6, 2008, 10:30 PM
I was thinking about cutting the barrel and installing screw in chokes. That may be the way I go. When measuring the barrel length on a O/U, do you include, or subtract the chamber length?

Hawg Haggen
March 7, 2008, 06:40 AM
Include.

hogdogs
March 7, 2008, 09:35 AM
I understand you drop a dowel down an unloaded barrel for meas. so include...
Brent