PDA

View Full Version : What is the cheapest o/u shotgun I should buy.

Super-Dave
March 5, 2008, 08:38 AM
I am thinking about buying an o/u.

I do not care about looks or name brand.

What is the cheapest o/u with acceptable quality and durability I should buy?

I do not care how ugly it is!

Or if it is made in some 4th world country by deformed midget slave labor.

LouPran
March 5, 2008, 08:52 AM
Stoeger Condor ... Butt Ugly but solid.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/images/large-condor.jpg

This picture makes it look pretty good. But up close they're not much at all to look at. But they function just as they should.

My latest Gander Mountain sales catalog had them on sale for $350 which I'm not sure is such a great "SALE"price but, that's still very cheap for an O/U.

Musketeer
March 5, 2008, 09:11 AM
What are you using it for? You would be better off holding as many as you can first to gauge the fit before making any decision to buy. Price is certainly a factor, I know it is for me, but a $300 shotgun for Trap that is a lousy fit is a waste of money. All you will have done is make the next gun that fits cost $300 more in "education" fees.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 5, 2008, 10:38 AM
Depends on what you mean by acceptable?

Beretta or Browning is what i say.

Uncle Ben
March 5, 2008, 11:31 AM
I can't speak of the quality myself since I have never shot one, but would suggest the Mossberg Silver Reserve for about $450 on sale just as another option for you to consider/research.

Here is a previous thread that I came across on the subject:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175022

BigJimP
March 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
Beretta or Browning - will both give you a lot of gun for the money - but your question is irrelevant unless you know which gun fits you. Shotguns do not come in one size fits all - drop at heel, drop at comb or paralell comb, length of pull, etc are all big factors - and buying a gun, even an expensive one, that doesn't fit is not a good buy.

cxg231
March 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
Remington SPR310 built by Baikal in Russia. Ugly, but built like a tank. I have one and I like it a lot. Lots of gun for the money. I paid $450 at Dicks Sporting Goods.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2312065461_d7a949334e_o.jpg (http://flickr.com/photos/8364430@N08/2312065461/)

If that doesn't fit you, then I would say the Mossberg Silver Reserve, just make sure the build date is after June 2007. There were lots of firing pin problems with them before that. Other than that, they are good for the money.

YukonKid
March 5, 2008, 02:00 PM
Depends on what you call good. My O/U cost 1200 and i thought i got a good deal on a decent gun, there are a lot better out there. I would not waste money on a cheap gun, save up and buy something nice that will last.

YK

LouPran
March 5, 2008, 04:38 PM
OK ... let me throw another into the mix ... adding the prerequisite "So long as it fits ya" ...

The best value I've ever seen yet in an Over/Under has got to be the CZ Redhead ... You will not find IMO a better value in a truly high quality O/U.

Plan on spending around +/- $800 if you can find one. Dealers will tell you. They cannot keep them in stock.

Nicely engraved , great action and phenomenal black chromed finish.

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main055.png

jdc48160
March 5, 2008, 07:25 PM
TriStar has a pretty solid O/U. My boss picked one up at Cabelas around Christmas when they had them on sale for like $349. We took it up north, pumped probably 100+ rounds thru it, shoots good, accurate, and not a ton of kick. It also has a switch on it that lets you choose which barrel fires with the first trigger pull.

If I wanted an O/U, I'd definitely consider the TriStar brand.

nodlenor
March 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
I have an American Arms o/u that I've used to hunt quail. I don't know if you can still buy one new, but they are for sale on gunbroker.com. I've had good luck with mine and I don't think it looks too bad either.

sm
March 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
Shoot a variety of guns for gun fit first.

Suggest you try SKB, Ruger Red Label, Citori, Beretta Onyx, Win 101 for starters.
Find a good used one of these

1. Got a Mother-In-Law? Put on the razzle dazzle when you find one, and let her buy this for you.

2. Buy it yourself.
What is one actually getting for monies spent is the bottom line.

There is hardly anything some man cannot make cheaper and sell for less; and those whom buy based on price alone are this mans prey - John Ruskin.

It number one should happen, apply the old saw : Be sincere whether you mean it or not.

Ruger4570
March 6, 2008, 09:08 PM
Well you certainly have lowered the bar. If you just want a gun for an occasional hunt, buy any peice of junk you like. But for about the same price, why not get a Rem 870, at least it will last as long as you want and will devour 1,000's of shots without a hitch. If you expect to do a lot of shooting ( I shoot around 40,000 rounds a year, sometimes more, sometimes less) For my needs, I won't settle for some gun made out of old tuna cans, assembled in the dark with a stock that was final sanded with a chainsaw.
As always, you will definatly get what you pay for, especially in an O/U.

jaymce
March 8, 2008, 06:34 AM
The Mossberg SR's had some problems early on. I got a bad one and knew of 3 others who had them. The other 2 rarely got fired and the owner of one recently got rid of his due to issues. Mine was long gone with in the 3 months of purchse.

Cheap that will last:
It seems that with OUs you need to be in the 800$+ range to get some thing that looks good and will last. The B-guns (Browning, Beretta) have very nice offerings. The lanbers & CZ also look nice and seem not to have problems. If you are looking in this price range then make fit a bigger issue.

Just down right cheap:
As mentioned before the Stoeger is cheap and ugly but they seem like good guns. The club I belong to has 2 that are ill cared for and shot regularly 2500 +- rounds a year I would say easy. They have been around for about 2-3 years and have not had any problems. I know of 3 others that also have been flawless.

mikenbarb
March 8, 2008, 07:40 AM
I own alot of over unders and just recently bought a Stoeger condor in a 2 barrel set. 1 is 12 ga. and the other barrel is a 20 ga. This is a great option for shooting sports and hunting. (also cheaper ammo) I bought this set for my duck blind hunting and it didnt break the piggy bank. I think the looks are pretty good and the fit and finish are good for the price range. I paid $589.00 on sale and couldnt even touch anything in a 2 barrel set in that price range. Check out Dicks sporting or Gander for their sales. Also keep in mind that Stoeger is owned by Benneli,and they make some of the best guns around. Keep in mind the Franchi line also. I own 2 Franchi's and have run 1000's or rounds thru them and not a hiccup with either.