PDA

View Full Version : over and under vs side by side

Super-Dave
March 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
Is their any situation where a side by side would be the prefered shotgun to use in stead of an over/under?

Is there any difference in reliability/durability between the designs of the over under vs the side by side?

Doyle
March 4, 2008, 05:39 PM
I believe serious shooters prefer the single pointing plane that a vent ribbed over/under provides. I love my Beretta o/u.

Hawg Haggen
March 4, 2008, 06:27 PM
I prefer a SXS but that's just me. For serious work I use a pump.

rem870hunter
March 4, 2008, 08:09 PM
i prefer more than 2 shots before reloading. but wouldn't mind an o/u because of both barrels being inline with each other. i don't have any o/u just a few sxs. to me they look a bit more unrelentless than an o/u. especially when they have short barrels.

Blue Duck
March 4, 2008, 11:11 PM
A good quality Over and under, like the Browning Citori is very hard to beat for reliability, and one of the best at a resonable price, for the shooting games, like sporting clays, etc.

However, in the game fields, a good quality side by side is a pure pleasure to use and carry. They are my favorite type of shotgun for hunting, where 2 shots are normally enough, like pheasant hunting, or quail. Unfortunately a cheap side by side often handles like a club, and often a good side by side will cost more then a good over and under.

The single sighting plane is overrated for hunting, besides a good side by side, really has a single sighting plane also, if it's made right. However, there is more barrel to see, and I personally like the wide sighting plane of a good side by side, and will sometimes lose the narrow, single rib of a singlebarreled gun, in a fast breaking siduation. My master eye is on the wrong side so I have to aim a shotgun to hit anyway, and frankly I aim a good side by side as well as anything.

A good side by side does not have to break open as far to load as an over and under, this is an advantage at times, like in a duck blind, although I probably prefer a Browning A5 for duck hunting.

And a good side by side with double triggers, gives the fastest choke sellection, where a barrel selector is often too slow, in a quick breaking siduation.

The biggest disavantage regarding a side by side, is cost. Really good ones, are expensive, and cheap ones handle poorly, on most counts, but if you ever manage to own a good one, and use it enough to really like it, then nothing else will do, for upland game, IMHO.

I also tend to share Elmer Keiths assessment of the over and under vs. the side by side. He preferred the graceful lines of a side by side, and felt that an over and under looked like a posioned pup that had layed in the sun too long.:D

My personal favorites in the side by sides, are old L.C. Smiths, Old Parkers, Winchester 23's, and I have an old J.P. Sauer that I like really well. Merkel makes a lot of fine but often very expensive shotguns. For around 2000 to 3500, you can find a lot of Winchester 23's still out there, and they make a pretty nice side by side, however ,most do not have screw in chokes, so steel shot is not a good idea, as well as most of the older shotguns.

Frank Ettin
March 5, 2008, 12:33 AM
I tend to prefer an O/U for competition. In the field, I use an SXS. I don't understand why "sighting plane" should make a difference. I don't aim the shotgun. I always focus on the target and rely on the fact that my guns fit me and shoot where I'm looking.

skeeter1
March 5, 2008, 02:07 AM
I've got a couple of SKB SxS shotguns that I use for everything from upland game hunting to the trap range. They're what I have, and I've had lots of practice with them.

Be warned though, double-barrels, either SxS or O/U, aren't cheap. Expect to shell out at least a grand for a decent one.

BigJimP
March 5, 2008, 06:37 PM
The single sighting plane is not over-rated in my view - for competition or in the field ( in 12, 20, 28 ga or .410 ) I prefer the Over/Under by a big margin - but I also prefer them with 30" barrels - to give a little longer sight plane as well.

RoscoeC
March 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have an older 20 ga. SXS that is slim light and a pure pleasure to carry around all day dove hunting. It is Improved Cylinder and Improved Modified, and is responsible for more than its share of doves. For skeet, I use a Remington 11-87 Premium. Not well heeled enough for a nice over and under, but I'm working on it. Not for any other reason than I think I should own one.

sm
March 5, 2008, 10:53 PM
O/U and single sighting plane guns are the most used int the clay competition market.

SxS excels in driven bird hunting.

That said, gun fit to shooter, correct basic fundamentals, quality practice and trigger time will allow one to fell 'em with a stick.

Boy, you take after my side of the family and your eyes are "OO" and not stacked one atop the other like your mom's sister , your aunt Edna, put down the O/U and grab the SxS...