PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe to fire in my shotgun?

Super-Dave
March 4, 2008, 01:08 PM
I know I have some really stupid questions most of the time, but here goes another one.

Those 12 gauge flares that boaters use, Is it safe to fire through my shotgun? I know they are too big to put in the magazine tube, just loader them directly in the chamber.

http://www.orionsignals.com/Marine/Products/pa.html

The reason I ask is that my friend keeps flares and one of those cheap flare guns on his boat. I was wondering if you only kept your shotgun on the boat as an all purpose tool if it was safe to fire those flares through your shotgun?

Also It might be a good Idea to have 2-3 of them with you when you hunt incase you are injured/lost and it is dark.

I was going to email Mossberg and ask them but I feel kind of stupid with such a question.

Ledbetter
March 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
Do not try this. If the flare gets stuck in the barrel, it will ruin it and maybe hurt you.

By a $10 flare gun at the marine store for this application. Do not shoot buckshot out of it.

foghornl
March 4, 2008, 03:22 PM
Flares do NOT belong in a shotgun. Have a Shooting Budd that tried this with his 870 Rem, full choke. Flare stuck in the muzzle end, ruined barrel.

Now, if you had MAYBE no tighter than Improved Cylinder, the flare thing MIGHT work....but I am not willing to test that theory.

Get one of those sub-$20 plastic boating flare launchers if you want to do that.

Desert01
March 4, 2008, 04:04 PM
I have tested the old Orions in a cylinder bore shotgun and the work fine. The new ones might work in a break action cylinder bore shotgun such has a coach gun. Has previously noted if you use them in a choked shotgun you will damage the shotgun much like firing a slug through a full choke.

The Orions were redisigned for two reasons I believe.

1. So you could not load a standard 12 ga shell in the has seen on U-Tube. The launcher is not designed for those presures and comes apart quite nicely.

2. So you can't fire an Orion through your nicely choked sporting clays shotgun. Resulting in at least a ruined barrel.

Rampant_Colt
March 4, 2008, 04:49 PM
just for the record, it's ok to shoot slugs out of a full-choked shotgun

rem870hunter
March 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
i agree don't shoot the newer flares in anything but a flare gun made for the flares. the older orions you can with no tighter than imp. cyl. choke. the older orions were no more than 2-3/4" long. i think the newer ones are like 3.5"-4" long. we (dad and i) made a mistake one 4th of july shooting the older orions with an ithaca 66 fixed full choke barrel. it took a few seconds before the flare burned down enough to exit the muzzle. luckily it didn't damage the barrel or worse. i don't know if flares for shotguns are still being made anymore. we have some old paper ones made in germany and some newer less than 20 years old all plastic ones.