PDA

View Full Version : What Chokes for Dove Hunting

Renny
March 3, 2008, 06:49 PM
What Chokes are best for Southamerican Dove Hunting? And what kind of Shotgun would be a good Dovegun? I Have a Turkish Zafer, single shot 12 G with a fixt choke but i am lookin to get a pump or a O/U with chokes.
What would you recomand?
Thanx

waterhouse
March 3, 2008, 07:12 PM
I like modified or light modified for doves. My modified choke throws slightly lager patterns with the promo dove loads than it does with better shells . . . I find it to work well on doves.

If you are talking high volume S. American dove hunting I'd look for a soft shooting semi.

Renny
March 3, 2008, 07:32 PM
Is the Barrel lenght important for Dovehunting?

waterhouse
March 3, 2008, 07:49 PM
Longer barrels balance and swing better for me for pass shooting doves. I would go with 28".

Polishrifleman
March 3, 2008, 07:49 PM
You definately want more than one shot, pump or semi auto will work. I am partial to 16 gauge for nostalgia but 20 or 28 gauge is more readily available and plenty of gun. Doves are small and quick so a wide pattern is best. You normally won't see a dove by itself, they usually come in 2 or more at a time. My first time Dove hunting I shot over 40 times and killed 4 birds, fast and furious is the way of Dove hunting.

Full-choke
March 3, 2008, 10:26 PM
Well, it's not doves but the pigeons around the farm die to 12 gauge shooting out of a Modified or my nice Pattern Master Full choke tube. I use a Franchi now, but many of pigeon lost their lives to my Stoeger Condor which shot an IC and a Modified...and it's only a 20 gauge. I believe both of my shotguns are 26 or 28 inch barrels as well...but don't quote me on it, I would have to look.

F-C

Renny
March 4, 2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks for trhe response

What ammo are you using, nr. 5 or 7 ?

Art Eatman
March 4, 2008, 08:43 AM
I've always used #8 for mouring doves, #7-1/2 for whitewings.

Yellowfin
March 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
My setup for years has been a Remington 1100 with improved cylinder chokes and #7 1/2 or 8 shot.

Full-choke
March 4, 2008, 02:59 PM
All of the pigeons get cheap 7 1/2 game loads...nothing spectacular or expensive for them.

F-C

LHB1
March 4, 2008, 05:48 PM
Depends on your setup. I like an O/U shotgun with interchangeable chokes and single selective trigger. For close range with incoming birds I like skeet and improved cylinder chokes. For moderate range passing birds I like improved cylinder and light modified. I prefer not to shoot at long range passing birds but would use modified and full chokes in that situation.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Renny
March 5, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thanx for the help

I got the Turkish Pump 7+1 shot Zafer, with chokes and a 28" barrel, i live in Loma Plata, Chaco Paraguay and the Dove season is starting, iwill try Nr 7 with a M choke and or a C choke, see what happens.

Thanx

williamd
March 5, 2008, 08:33 PM
A quick handling, well fitting shotgun. I like a 20 and usually go IC / M but will take a Skt / Skt at times. 7.5 or 8 shot. They die easily ... but they are FAST. My 28" Berretta BL-4 in 20g does it. BSS 26" 20g IC / Mod. SKB 24" 200E 20gSkt / Skt.

Renny
March 12, 2008, 03:33 PM
I had to return the Turkish Pump 12 G, i had around 20 missfires in 50 shots, i ordered the IZH 27 ME now, i think it should be a reliable O/U for dove hunting.

slick slidestop
March 12, 2008, 10:41 PM
Normally for me its a Remingtom 11-87 Premier 28" Barrell and Modified choke for dove with 7 1/2 shot.

45Dave
March 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
The few times I have gone in Ohio we used improved cylinder with good results but we only shoot maybe 50 or so times in a day. Long ago I read an article about some fellas dove hunting in SouthAmerica where they were shooting like 600 rounds a day. The gun they liked was a 20 gauge gas operated improved choke. One of the guys had a 28 gauge that worked well but ammo was hard to find at that time.

UniversalFrost
March 13, 2008, 08:42 PM
well I use a pattern master choke, but they run in the $80-100 range. but you can use them for anything. I also use no 8 shot in 3" 12ga.

of course your aim for wing shooting is a must have skill that only comes with lots of practice at the range.

or you can be like me and pick them off with a .22lr (actually took my limit many times when I was a kid and didn't know you weren't supposed to shoot them while they were sitting on power lines :D ) Now I am much older and know much more, but bag less with my 12 gauge and fancy choke than when I was in my teens with a cheap stevens single shot bolt action 22 that cost about $30 bucks.

Renny
March 14, 2008, 10:25 AM
UniversalFrost, we do that a lot over here in Paraguay, the doves like to rest on the palosanto trees on the sides of the corn fields, i use my magtech 22 semiauto, but i like the chalange on taking them with the shotgun out the air.
My Baikal 27 EM came yesterday, it has fixt chokes, top barrel is full and bottom barrel is a mod. choke. It has dobble trigers. gonna try it this weekend.
We use to shoot onley the amount of doves we can clean and eat. I have seen people that shoot them only for sport and dont bother to pick them up.
i dont like that. If they aint gonna eat them they should at least pick them up and give them to peaple who would eat them.

45Dave
March 14, 2008, 02:39 PM
Your right Renny, doves are excellent to eat, easy to clean what a waste to leave them lay on the ground. They freeze well so what you don't eat today will serve up a great meal later. A fella I know from TX has some way he cans the doves, it makes great spreads and stews.

Renny
March 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
I shot 75 shots this weekend wit the new O/U. Got 27 Doves, the gun fits me well, it wus somewhat stiff at first but after a 100 times opening and closing and the 75 shot its just fine. i have to practice on my aiming but i guess every 3 shots a dove is not so bad for the first time with the new gun.
thanks for all the adwise.

publius
March 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
Most people like a improved cyl. or modified for their larger patterns. I like a full choke. It's a little harder to make the close shots but you can make longer shots. You do not want to take that hard kicking single shot. Look into a gas autoloader. I went to mexico several years ago and some of the guys shooting o/u's had literally blood soaked shoulders after a couple of days.

Yellowfin
March 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
A Remington 1100 with improved cylinder is your best bet. They point and swing well, don't cost a lot, are easy on the shoulders, and last forever. I've had two in my lifetime and both are still running great and take anything out of the sky I can find.

aerod1
March 29, 2008, 05:24 PM
I shoot a 12 ga. Ruger Red label with a 26" barrel. Because I have a hard time hitting them thar critters, I use skeet chokes:D
If going to South America, I recommend something that has a reduced recoil, such as a gas operated semi-auto. The reason is because you will be shooting a lot of birds and there is no need to beat yourself up. Some people have gone to the 20 ga. semi auto for South America dove hunting.:)