PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 Action Problems

1911rocks
March 3, 2008, 07:58 AM
I searched and searched the Forum for this issue and came up with FTE/FTF issues but not this one. Has anyone ever had a Mossberg 500, 12ga. that would "open/extract" automatically? It happens with 2 3/4" Slugs, 00 Buck, #4 Buck. It doesn't occur with #6 shot etc. I have (3) Mossberg 500, 12ga. and it occurs on all (3). FIRST, I believe it's Operator error. I hold the forend on a shotgun like I hold a rifle. I support the forend, I don't put the umgawa death grip on it. I prefer to roll with the recoil rather than fight it. I would love to try the same thing with an 870. Please don't turn this into the 870 vs Mossberg 500 debate.:confused:

" The sun never sits on cool"

Smitty in CT
March 3, 2008, 08:46 AM
Both the 870 and the 500 do this.

When you fire a round, the action is unlocked, so you don't have to press the action release every time you shoot.

I have a Mossberg 535 and when shooting 3-1/2" "turkey" loads, if shooting from a rest, and not supporting the forearm, the forearm will come all the way back and sometimes even eject the shell.

Don't worry about it, its operating normally....

foghornl
March 3, 2008, 08:51 AM
The action does unlock on firing, so that is normal operation.

I have seen this in both Mossbergs and Remingtons. I haven't shot an Ithaca or a Winchester in a lonnnng time., but I suspect they are the same.

This can happen with any load...try a light birshot "target/skeet" load without your hand on the forend, and it will most likle open some. Heavier loads have a stronger recoil pulse, and will open the action accordingly.

ronto
March 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
I put the "white-knuckle death grip" on mine and it stays put.

Legumeofterror
March 3, 2008, 03:20 PM
on my 500 if i pull back on the slide while i fire, the slide wont move until i take the pressure off and then rack it. try that maybe?

RoscoeC
March 4, 2008, 07:50 AM
It is perfectly normal. Check out Remington's website under support, FAQs. The pressure of the discharge will prevent the bolt from opening until the pressure has decreased to a safe level, so it is nothing to worry about.

It is a feature not a bug. Learn to roll with it. This is what allows guys that have learned to operate the gun effectively to fire pumps as fast as most can fire an autoloader. Once you get the rhythm, the gun almost pumps itself.

Remington's FAQ (http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/remington.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=87&p_created=954351258&p_sid=wef27SZi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzEsMzEmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD04NzA*&p_li=&p_topview=1)