PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Shells

castnblast
February 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
I about flipped yesterday...I went to Academy Sports & Outdoors to pick up some shells for a sporting clays shoot...The cheap stuff (remington) was $5.99/box??? AA's were up in the $7.00 something...Are you guys seeing the same? A month ago they were $4.12 for cheapies, and around $5.50ish for AA's ($4.79 I think) for AA's in September... Our gun club has been selling Rio's for $43.00/case. I'll be shooting those. I think they shoot as well as AA's. Have you guys seen this sudden increase in your area?

NukeCop
February 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
Roger that bud. Walmart had them on sale once for 4.99, and I thought it was a steal. But it has been creeping up steadily.
I'm not sure what the Wolf shotshells have been running, but those are great shells suprisingly. See if you can find some!

BigJimP
February 28, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, we see Rio's in our area for around $50 a case / and that's probably your best bet for a throwaway hull. Remington Gun Club is often on sale for around $5 a box - and you can get a few reloads out of them if you want to save them.

Remington STS or Nitro - new are running about $ 8 a box in my area. If you get lucky you might find them with a case discount for around $70 a case - and you can sell the hulls, especially if you don't let them hit the ground, for $1 to $ 1.25 per 25 empties to the reloaders. I reload STS hulls - and 12ga you can get 30 or 40 reloads out of a hull - and my reload cost is about $4.50 a box ( with premium shot, premium wads, good primers ) basically as good a shell as a new STS or Nitro at $8 a box ). So reloading still pays off if you shoot 5 or more cases a month like a lot of us do at my club.

20ga prices are about the same as 12ga ( Estate, Gun club, etc ) - where you really have to consider reloading is if you shoot any 28ga or .410 at all.

classic095
February 29, 2008, 09:45 AM
Where do you buy your shot?? How much is it for a 25 lb bag now? I make my own shot, with scrap lead and I still cant really save money with the cost of lead today..

BigJimP
February 29, 2008, 06:32 PM
My local gun club is still selling shot for $ 35 a bag these days - to members only. Its almost a straight trade off at the wholesale price - but just to members only. If you are paying $35 a bag and loading a 1oz shell for a 12 ga that works out to about $ 4.35 a box ( Clays for 8# is about $98 / primers are about $28 per 1,000 / I figure 15 loads per hull / wads are about $65 for 5,000 or a little under $ 0.18 per shell.

But a couple of my buddies and I bought 4 tons of shot last Fall for about
$ 7 K which included delivery ( 2 tons of 9's and 2 tons of 8's ) and it worked out to about $ 22 a bag delivered. We split it more or less 3 ways so we each ended up with around 100 bags. That inventory will give each of us about 2500 boxes depending on whether we're loading a 1/2 oz 28ga or a 1 oz 12ga shell. Depending on how much shooting you do / that can last a couple of years pretty easily - but that was how we hedged our costs a little. If you don't shoot as much as we do / just split it between 7 or 8 guys ..... but buying in bulk is the only way to go as long as you can store it / keep it dry, etc. But the footprint to store 100 bags is about the size of 2 pallets or 4' X 8' in my shop along a wall so no big deal. I buy my wads in case lots - 10 to 20 cases at a time and we share those too. When we buy powder we usually get enough 8lb kegs to keep each of us stocked for a year or so ( pistol powder too ) but we all use some of the Hodgdon products ( Clays, Universal, International, LilGun and TiteGroup in our pistols) .

Shooter 973
February 29, 2008, 06:42 PM
Gander Mt's price on bags of shot is nearly $50 per 25 lbs. Plus shipping!!!
At those prices, If you work for a living you'll soon be out of the shotgun shooting sports. Maybe some hunting but thats about it for me. I just can't afford the prices anymore....:( And the price for clay birds even from Wallyworld is going up like mad......:(
Taking the boys out to shoot some informal clay birds is just to much money any more.....

BigJimP
February 29, 2008, 07:49 PM
The cost is getting a little ridiculous these days for shells and targets - as well as handgun bullets - and primers, etc - and I've got 9 grankids that I still take to the range once in a while - but its getting to be a little bit ridiculous.

The number of lines of trap, skeet, etc shot at most of the local clubs in my area is down close to 40% these days. The guys that are still working and raising families aren't coming to the range or buying many guns these days - it is sad.

crowbeaner
February 29, 2008, 08:56 PM
I was in Wally World yesterday and noticed that some of the AAs were $7 a box; the 7 1/2 ones anyway. The 8s were still $5 a box, but they are for clays and it is the light load not the heavy trap load. The heavy Federal field loads with 1 1/8 of 6s were all gone, and they went up $1.50 a box. I'm going to buy a shotmaker and start gathering some wheelweights from local sources. Even at $1 a pound for lead, I can make shot for about $30 a bag. Buy what you can now, and prepare for dark days ahead especially if Osama Obama gets into the oval office. HRC would be a natural disaster of the first kind also.

Sgt.Fathead
March 1, 2008, 12:54 AM
The Chinese demand for metals, among other resources, will continue unabated for the foreseeable future. India is not far behind. My personal motto w/r/t ammo, which I hijacked from a gent over at Shotgun World News forums, is, "Buy Cheap, Stack Deep!" We've been driving to WalMart in PA to pickup 12g 2-3/4" #8 shells for $14.99/100 and I'm well loaded up for Spring. Can always use more.

rem870hunter
March 1, 2008, 05:09 PM
a few of the wally world (walmart) i've been in here in nj don't sell ammo or guns for that matter. so i am limited to at shops buying at dicks and 2 private shops. one has 12 ga. 2 and 3/4" #1,#4,0,00,000 for 3.98 a box and 3" win. super x is 5.98 for 00 and 6.98 for #1. the other private shop is higher. and has had alot of price ups and a difference between brands and loads. dicks sports a few times since nov. has had rem. game loads in #6-#8 shot for less than 5.00 a box. the express has been on sale a few times for 11.99 a box. their slugger were 2.98 with a mail in rebate and the brennekes for 2.28 a box. i have'nt had any shots for small game or waterfowl but i have a box of 7.5 game and a box of express 7.5. 2 boxes of 3" BB and #2 steel. i didn't do much clay shooting because of the ammo prices going up and up. and my thrower has been acting up.