PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger 2000 vs. Franchi I-12

Hunter007
February 27, 2008, 01:36 PM
Which do you think is the best?

ebutler462
February 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
It is the same gun. The I-12 is a prettied up 2000. Same innards. The 2000 is assembled in Turkey using a Vursan action and a Beretta made barrel. The I-12 is assembled in Italy using the same action and Beretta made barrel.

Gun Tests Magazine did comparison testing on the 2 and chose the 2000 as the better buy over the I-12 due to the Franchi jamming and the bolt charge handle popping out.

I wouldn't turn around for the difference. I have a couple of 2000s and they have given me great service.

Smitty in CT
February 27, 2008, 09:45 PM
Mossberg 930...... sorry, couldn't resist..

Seriously, between the Stoeger and the Franchi, listen to Mr. Butler, he knows of what he speaks....

The M2000 would be the choice.

jeo556
February 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
Cannot speak on the Franchi but I LOVE my Stoeger M-2000. Cycles flawlessly and consistnetly makes my buddies Browning Cynergy look bad on the trap range. :D:D:D:D
I plan on grabbbing at least one more b4 everyone realizes what a fantastic value this gun is and they go up in price.

Jeo556

RoscoeC
March 2, 2008, 12:29 AM
I bought a Stoeger M2000 about a month ago. I looked at the Franchi I12, and it was tempting. It is very pretty. but at over twice the price of the M2000, I just couldn't see it. Besides, I really wanted something more utilitarian that I wouldn't beat myself up over when I got it dinged or scratched in field. I have put about 350 rounds through it on the skeet range so far, and it has been completely reliable with whatever I have fed it. It has grown on me. I really like it. I have an 11-87 Premier that I usually shoot skeet with, and it makes me appreciate the lightness of the Stoeger. It also came with 5 chokes, including Extra Full extended turkey.

Great shotgun. Wish they made it in a 20 ga.

Full-choke
March 2, 2008, 11:34 AM
As the owner of both a Stoeger and a Franchi my opinion comes from the heart. Stoeger makes a great gun, my first shotgun was their Condor, I still have and love that gun. It is reliable, it is accurate and it is built well.

I also bought a Franchi I-12 this past summer...it is now my go to shotgun without any question. It shoots wonderfully, is a pleasure to handle and hunt with. My gun with the cylinder choke tube will shoot Federal Tru-Ball slugs 3-holes touching at 100 yards open sighted. It is by far the most accurate and reliable gun that I have ever owned. You could not pay enough to take that gun away from me as I never know if I can ever find another like it.

That being said, you can't go wrong with either. However, from my experience if you go up the chain of quality for the Berreta companies you get better equipment. It is more refined and precise creating a better gun all around. Either will be trustworthy, but it just depends if you want to spend the money to get a nicer fit and finish.

F-C

LouPran
March 2, 2008, 12:29 PM
I've seen the Stoeger's and Frachi's selling used at the local Gander Mountain ... the Stoegers sell used for about $200-$250 .... Talk about a Semi auto tool gun if it holds up. For that kind of money , toss it in the back of the truck tool box and go!

One thing I noticed was the finish was not holding up too good on a few that looked like they actually got some real use. But for a couple Franklin's who gives a rat's behind!

Will Beararms
March 7, 2008, 09:27 PM
I am a duck hunter first and a shooter second. I would choose neither of these weapons due to small parts failure. I would go for a Wal Mart Beretta 3901 for $100.00 more than the Stoeger and have a weapon your grandchildren will enjoy.

Of Course duck hunting is a different animal than normal usage since you must factor in exposure to mud, sand, ice and water. Most all semis will fail sooner or later but the 2000 and I 12 seem to do it sooner. I would concur the 2000 is better than the I 12. Why I do not not since they are related.

I am not implying anyone here is lying. I am not trying to start an argument. I am just relating the experiences of other hunters I know.

jeo556
March 8, 2008, 01:56 PM
Small parts failure? Are you speaking from personal expierence? I've had my M2000 apart to clean many times and there are only three small parts of the five total. What parts are prone to failure? I'm not trying to be rude but as this is my go-to hunting shotgun I'd like to know what I can look forward to.

jeo556

Will Beararms
March 8, 2008, 09:57 PM
The bolt handles fly out. Many I have handled are lose to begin with.

castnblast
March 8, 2008, 11:04 PM
I've got a new I-12, and it's solid as a rock. You got to really pull on that handle to get it apart. I suppose if you take it apart tons of times, the lock could get some wear, but from what I can see on my gun, if it were ever a problem, it would be a quick fix. I to get mine of I need a rag and a pair of pliers to grip it tight enough to pull it off. I have stripped the gun completely down getting to know it, and I don't see any unusual "small parts". As a matter of fact, it's very simple to strip down, much more so than my gas S&W 1000 or My remington 1100. Can't speak for the Berreta...I don't own one.

45reloader
March 11, 2008, 04:40 PM
Stoeger 2000

I had one since the the day they came out.AWSOME and never an issue.It came with 5 chokes also.

I have the Stoeger over-under also.The only issue it's alittle heavy,but a solid bird gun in heavy brush.

ebutler462
March 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Though I have posted this several times, I refer you to Gun Tests Magazine's testing of the Stoeger 2000 and the Franchi I-12. The I-12 got thumbs down due to jamming and to the bolt handle flying out when shot. The 2000 got thumbs up and won the comparison testing.

IMO, both having the same action, this is a flaw that Vursan (the action manufacturer) needs to correct. The plunger and plunger spring have to be replaced at the factory. You need to call Stoeger customer service and get a Return Authorization. You will need to send the bolt to them so that the plunger that holds the charge handle in can be replaced, along with the plunger spring.

This has been a problem with very few Vursan actions but it does happen. Seems that QC should catch this but they don't. It is a simple repair but the repair needs to be done at their MD facility. There may be a home fix for this problem but I don't know how to do it.

I have purchased 2 of the 2000s over the years and neither have given me a minutes problem.