PDA

View Full Version : 10 gauge

billythekid007
February 24, 2008, 10:22 PM
How far can I kill a hawk with a 28" barrel 10 gauge? I know it depends on what ammo... So, that too? what ammo and how are could it be made?

Webleymkv
February 24, 2008, 11:23 PM
Firstly, I wouldn't reccomend shooting a hawk as I beleive that they're protected by law in most areas thereby making it illegal to shoot one. Secondly, My NEF single shot 10ga still patterns fairly well at 125yd with Remington BB shot and a Browning Modified choke tube.

Gbro
February 25, 2008, 12:48 AM
If that stinking thing is after the chickens you can blast him to.....

Pattern your pipe. Its one thing few people do. And the reason for that is they will rarely use the same load consistently anyway, So what the Hay!
Large piece of cardboard, 30 inch circle, start at 50 yards and keep moving back until you see large gaps in your shot pattern. (you don't want large gaps)

Hawg Haggen
February 25, 2008, 12:55 AM
Hawks are protected. Don't shoot one. If you do keep your mouth shut and hope nobody saw you do it.

New_Pollution1086
February 25, 2008, 01:48 AM
I agree with Gbro I would pattern your shotgun. but definetly find out the legality of shoting hawks before doing so.

T

billythekid007
February 25, 2008, 01:59 AM
they kill two chickens a day.. but i didnt shoot it...:rolleyes:

so 100 yds should be safe then...?

Oilburner350
February 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
If the pattern looks good it will work. I try to limit my shots with the 10 gauge to about 60 yards max. I havent patterned my extra full choke for my BPS much past that.

I would check to see if you "target" is legal to shoot or not before shooting up expensive 10 gauge ammo.

kristop64089
February 29, 2008, 12:16 PM
If I were you I would teach my chickens some sort of self defense. Killin a hawk is expensive, and ya may lose hunting rights.

BAGTIC
February 29, 2008, 02:27 PM
Don't they have chicken wire where you live"

YukonKid
February 29, 2008, 03:23 PM
i wouldn't shoot one, but hawks don't take dogs and horses.

YK

Doyle
February 29, 2008, 04:44 PM
How far can I kill a hawk with a 28" barrel 10 gauge? Far enough away to get you put under the jail. :mad:

PT111
February 29, 2008, 05:41 PM
If the judge asks you how they taste be sure to tell him a cross between Bald Eagle and Spotted Owl, but probably more like Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Judges like defendents with a sense of humor. :eek:

roy reali
March 1, 2008, 11:30 AM
Some people make great poster children for PETA.

hogdogs
March 1, 2008, 01:18 PM
Here in florida the law simply says you MUST not EVER kill a bird of prey and if one is getting your chickens you must upgrade your pens...
Brent

12-34hom
March 1, 2008, 01:48 PM
Quote "Some people make great poster children for PETA." Statements such as this on this board = **** me off to no end....:mad:

Yea, and some around here just don't get it either... What part of illegal don't you comprehend??

Shooting any kind of raptor is illegal and patently stupid. They eliminate rodents of all types, as it"s their main diet.

Why is it that some here seem to think that the first solution to problems such as this are gun related? Could you explain that to me Roy? But, if you pose some other solution your a Peta sympathizer or tree hugger.

Get real.

12-34hom

ocharry
March 1, 2008, 01:55 PM
all i can say is,,

i was turkey huntin one mornin wiff my ol 10 bore an low i sees a coyote a puttin the sneek on me,,,,,so i alass use no 6 and sometimes 4 shot fer turks,,,But i alass has me some no.2 an 4buck fer just some sneekin critter,,,

welp i ever so slow cracked my ol double gun open an pulled them 6's out an slipped in a couple ah them 2's

welp when i closed her up he musta herd the dang latch close cuz he put the harry eye on me direct,,,i be guessin he was about 75-80 yrds.

so when he relaxed just a smigin i put the hammer on him

dang kilt him dead rite whar he stood,,,,never even twitched

now i never kilt no big burds,,,,but i bet the ol 10 would GITTER DONE

hay aint them big burds purtekted er sompin like at???

better keep yur trap shet if i was u

no disrespect an all

mebe u cold git foghorn leghorn to come over an show that chickin hawk what a real chickin is,,,,,you got a dog,,,,,,,doncha??

this is a real story

i'm ocharry and i approve this story

ocharry

rem870hunter
March 1, 2008, 02:33 PM
if the hawks come around again try banging pots and pans or anything to make noise. or get a box of blanks for shotgun and crank a few of them off. every morning i got canada geese in the horse pen next door. they went out of season on feb.18 anywhere from 15 to 60 at a time out there. i thought about nailing a few of them but i can't get them any closer than 60 yards. and they didn't come around until feb 22.:(
i wouldn't suggest shooting any hawks or other protected animals. unless in self defense then all bets are off. if it was a fox , coyote or wolf then go ahead and blast it as long as they are legal to kill in your state.

roy reali
March 1, 2008, 05:14 PM
I was refering to the person wanting to shoot the hawk. The anti-hunters use folks like that as poster children in their anti-hunting propaganda.

I was using a form of humor known as sarcasm.