PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense Shotgun

drdriller
February 22, 2008, 05:19 PM
What do you think is the best home defense shotgun?

I am looking at the Mossberg 590.
thanks

hogdogs
February 22, 2008, 05:29 PM
That'll work as will a 500... IMHO YMMV I prefer a pump over anything autoloader as less room for failure. Heck I would DEPEND on a single/double over an autoloader.
Brent

JBriggs
February 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
Mossbergs are good. I use the 500. Keep the full stock on the gun, because it will help you keep control of it better than a pistol grip. Pistol grips are cool looking but are not that great to shoot with. The stock will help you keep control for a follow up shot if needed. I once took my full size stock off and put on my pistol grip. After firing only five rounds I realized that I needed to put my stock back on. If you are looking to make it more compact, try a collapsable stock as often seen on AR's.

As to ammo, the first round through is a 2 3/4 inch loaded with 4 shot. 4 shot is quite effective on soft tissue and patterns great within 10 yards. Next round is a 3" goose round with BB, then the rest are 000 buck. I like 000 buck because the shells have more pellets than 00 buck, but still pack the same punch. Some companies make good frangible rounds for those worried about over penetration in the home environment.

I worry about over penetration with 00 buck and 000 buck, so that is why my first two shells are 4 shot then BB.

drdriller
February 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
what is the difference between the 500 and 590?

JBriggs
February 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
The difference is in the additional features: extended magazine ( 6 rounds for the 500 vs. 9 rounds for the 590), heat shield, sights, pistol grip full size stock, etc... Most 500's come with a full size stock and a separate pistol grip that you can install later.

hogdogs
February 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
590 is high capacity I think... and more money... (I know)....
500 is 5+1...
Brent

JBriggs
February 22, 2008, 05:52 PM
yep

drdriller
February 22, 2008, 05:52 PM
Between the 500 and 590, is the main difference the capacity? I don't care about the heat shield, sites, etc. I am mainly concerned with the internal workings. Which is the better gun function wise?
I want a relianle, always shoots any ammo gun.
Thanks a lot,
john

JBriggs
February 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
Yep, that is pretty much the case. However, both are dang reliable. I use my 500 for home defense and as my trunk gun that goes wherever I happen to drive to just in case the world goes crazy while I am out and about.

As to shooting all kinds of ammo, I have yet to find a type of ammo that does not function well in my 500.

drdriller
February 22, 2008, 06:01 PM
thanks for the help, I think I'll get a 500.
john

GATMOG
February 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
590 doesn't really have additional barrels for hunting, if thats a concern..

So the 20" (I think) cyclinder barrel is about it..

YukonKid
February 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
Do yourself a favor. Buy a remington 870 express. Most modular shotgun on the market and IMHO the most gun for the price. If you want to spend a lot look at Wilson Combat modified 870's

YK

drdriller
February 22, 2008, 09:32 PM
is a remington 870 express the same gun as a remington express police pump?
thanks

maxkimber
February 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
This might help, as I asked very similar questions here (with very good answers...):
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281582

hoytinak
February 22, 2008, 09:56 PM
I prefer my 500 but either the 870 or 500 are both great pumps.

skeeter1
February 23, 2008, 02:11 AM
"I prefer a pump over anything autoloader as less room for failure. Heck I would DEPEND on a single/double over an autoloader."

Well, I'd depend on my SKB doubles more than anything else, but they were pretty expensive. Not your run-of-the-mill HD shotguns.

For the money, you can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. Besides, that racking sound of a pump might just be enough that you'll never have to pull the trigger. My two cents.

Rob96
February 23, 2008, 05:02 AM
Get the Mossy 500 and have no worries. If you want something that has more capacity, get the Mossy 500 SP with 7 shot mag tube.. I just bought one for NIB for $229.

drdriller
February 23, 2008, 06:51 AM
Where did you get o mossberg 500 for 229?
thanks

KMO
February 23, 2008, 07:53 AM
My vote here goes for the Mossberg 500, police model, with 7-round extended magazine, 20-inch barrel, rifle sights. 8 shots with a shotgun is plenty. I got a used one recently. It was far from worn out. In fact, it was hard to find signs of wear from actual use (being fired). I'm sure law enforcement has to qualify with these on a certain time interval, but my experience tells me they don't enjoy it much so they shoot a minimum number of rounds. The guns all go to auction when they reach a certain age. Gun shops buy 'em up & put them up for sale. The 500 is simple to break down (very simple), and these guns are great for HD purposes. I was also able to pick up an extra barrel & magazine tube for a quick switch-out to a hunting gun. Mine looks like new & I've got under $300 in it, including the extras.

Rob96
February 23, 2008, 07:55 AM
I live in Allentown and bought my 500 at the Army & Navy store. On the weekends they run a sale 15% off all new shotguns that are paid in full.

Like I said origianlly, it is the 500 SP with 7 shot tube and 20" barrel that is cylinder bore. Previously I had a Remington Express HD. For me, the 500 both shoulders and swings onto target better.

kevinwas
February 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
I was also looking at the mossberg 590, looks like a good gun.

oobuck
February 23, 2008, 08:38 AM
Get ANY 870 and you'll never look back or have regrets.

KMO
February 23, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm not trying to stir it up between the 870 & 500 crowds, but I have a question that might play into drdriller's decision. Is it true that the magazine tube on an 870 is fixed to the receiver, rather than threaded in? If so, doesn't this limit the versatility of the gun when it comes to using differnet barrel lengths?

kkb
February 23, 2008, 10:03 AM
Is it true that the magazine tube on an 870 is fixed to the receiver, rather than threaded in? If so, doesn't this limit the versatility of the gun when it comes to using differnet barrel lengths?

Fixed to the receiver. The barrel slips over the magazine via a lug on the barrel and is secured. You can get different length barrels for the 870 and they all have the magazine lug on them.

hogdogs
February 23, 2008, 11:44 AM
My reasons for being a PASSIONATE mossberg man are multifold. One is they have not given in to the overseas manufacture of ANY shotguns. The only imports are their rimfire offerings. In the shotgun lineup are American made guns at very reasonable prices. They are plenty durable (if they can withstand my ownership they are built tough) for most you can throw at them. The plastic trigger guard is my only beef in strength and that has not failed me. Top of receiver safety is a VERY tactical position as is slide release at left rear of trigger guard.
From what I understand the 870 express is the corner cutting copy of a wingmaster. heck the Express is more than a 500 and the corner cutting copy of a 500 is the Maverick 88. I do not consider the Remington HD weapon as it just is not set up like the Mossberg 500/590.
The only home invader that will hear the "POOP THEIR PANTS" sound of my slide being racked is one already shot or his buddy... 1 in the pipe and 5 in the tube... gun on safety, thumb on safety gun up and ready... NO other shotgun I have seen offers the safety, durability, use-ability of a Mossberg...
Any is better than none...
Brent

classic095
February 23, 2008, 06:17 PM
My reasons for being a PASSIONATE mossberg man are multifold. One is they have not given in to the overseas manufacture of ANY shotguns

Wrong,, Mossberg International manufactures shotguns overseas.. IE. The Silver and Onyx Reserves..

There are a lot more Imported Mossbergs also.. All of the model 1000s were imported.

curmudgeon1
February 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
I bought a Mossberg 500A at Gander Mountain a couple of months ago on a whim for $347. It's for HD, but fun to shoot since I put a Knoxx shock-absorber pistol grip on it.

KMO
February 23, 2008, 06:43 PM
heh, heh, heh...that was entertaining Hogdogs. It made me like my 500 even more...

45Marlin carbine
February 23, 2008, 07:03 PM
a pump is very good (and good combat choice also which as my eyes fail me looks better) but IMO a SXS 12ga Magnum is ideal for me. I have a Makarov back-up for it. this is for 'repeal invaders' situ, I live 200 yds. from pavement. it's a 'coach gun' choked improved cylinder right barrel and modified choke left.

hogdogs
February 23, 2008, 09:37 PM
Shucks... I did forget the imported turkish break barrel guns... some other models may have been imported but I know that the pump action and semi auto offerings are american made as are the Maverick 88...:o My mistake I admit a brain fart clouded my memory...
Brent

drdriller
February 24, 2008, 08:20 PM
Well,
Today I bought the Remington express 870 "Police model" with extended magazine installed at Carter's Country $329.
I can't wait to shoot it.
I ended up with this because it felt "beefier" than the Mossy 500. It was $80 more, but I think worth it.
thanks for all the great comments.

GWbiker
February 25, 2008, 01:20 AM
A loaded Mossberg 500 (Cruiser) is always just several feet away from my computer desk.

You just got to love the sound of a 12 gauge shotgun as it being racked by it's user, to witness the stress it puts upon cretins who engage in violent acts of mayhem on innocent persons.

Fistfights cease in mid air. Men scatter in all directions or attempt to hide under tables and chairs. Young men begin to cry. Big men answer authorities with "Yes Sir/no Sir" when being questioned afterward.

After using one at work and at home for over 25 years, I would consider a short barrel 12 gauge pump shotgun to be the ideal home defense weapon! Winchester, Remington and Mossberg made some fine guns.

New_Pollution1086
February 25, 2008, 01:54 AM
Im going to the Big 5 to buy a shotgun and I was in a debate for the last few days about which one and Hogdogs you just sold me on the Mossy, that and the fact that the 28/18 combo is on sale.:D.

T

Bill DeShivs
February 25, 2008, 02:08 AM
The "sound of the racking slide."
The myth that just won't end!

KMO
February 25, 2008, 07:43 AM
The "sound of the racking slide." The myth that just won't end!

I'm thinking about marketing some CD's with nothing but the "racking sound" of a pump shotgun on them. Rather than keep a dependable weapon at the ready for HD, folks can just keep their stereo loaded. When the BG intrudes some night, just hit play on the remote control, roll over, & go back to sleep. Should work, eh Bill DeShivs? Why all this needless investment in guns? BG's are all stupid, right?

GWbiker
February 25, 2008, 03:37 PM
I'm thinking about marketing some CD's with nothing but the "racking sound" of a pump shotgun on them. Rather than keep a dependable weapon at the ready for HD, folks can just keep their stereo loaded. When the BG intrudes some night, just hit play on the remote control, roll over, & go back to sleep. Should work, eh Bill DeShivs? Why all this needless investment in guns? BG's are all stupid, right?

Good idea with the CD's, which could be useful in the home or small business, but not very functional where I was employed -- a level five maximum security state prison where we called our Bad Guys convicted felons, convicts or just plain inmates. I see a couple of problems here: our gun towers didn't have CD players and the constant playing "racking sound" of our Remington 870 shotguns might be considered to be cruel and unusual punishment imposed on felons who murdered, raped and pilfered the innocent. Some tower officers would play around with those CD's. (Our director of treatment frowned on any mistreatment of society's scum) :confused:

But thanks for the suggestion and if I do decide to leave retirement and reenter corrections I'll mention your name and the CD's to the director of custody. Imagine the lessened wear and tear on state issued shotguns at a cost savings to state taxpayers. Boy, wouldn't those taxpayers be thrilled! :D

skeeter1
February 27, 2008, 02:00 AM
Well, my SKB 100 loaded with #4 buck would do the job, I'm sure, but I still think a 500 or an 870 would be better. I'm committed to (and have practiced and hunted LOTS) with SKB SxS doubles. Good doubles cost big bucks.

Go with one of the pump guns. Mossberg or Remington, you can't go wrong either way.

foghornl
March 3, 2008, 09:13 AM
My HomeLand Security*** Shotgun is a Maverick 88...Mossberg's entry-level value price shotgun line.

Only difference from how I bought it is that I installed the 18-1/2" cylinder-bored barrel on it. Originally had the 28" mod-choke barrel.

***Secures my Home and Land from the evil deeds of no-good-niks.

Glenn E. Meyer
March 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've mentioned this a few times - I was at Cabelas and a guy was buying a pump gun with his gal pal next to him. He told the clerk he wanted the pump as the racking would scare anyone. Then he wanted blanks in case the racking didn't work.

So, Mister Gun Boy here opined that was a bad idea. Dude glared at me - probably as I violated his gal pal warrior impressive aura. So I desisted. The clerk then recommended rubber buckshot.

For those who think you can't miss - come to the shotgun match. BTW, at the last one, some little evil pellet bounced back and hit my pinky and made it bleed!! Wah - :o

Thus, I will stick to racking and blanks. :D

foghornl
March 3, 2008, 11:54 AM
Then he wanted blanks in case the racking didn't work.

So, what does Mr. Soopah-Warriah do when the blanks don't deter the No-Good-Niks?

hoytinak
March 3, 2008, 11:55 AM
So, what does Mr. Soopah-Warriah do when the blanks don't deter the No-Good-Niks?

Use the shotgun as a baseball bat. :p

sm
March 3, 2008, 11:58 AM
Glenn E. Meyer,

I have a marketing idea, in fact we could have contests and folks compete.
We need to make a deal to increase the sound of a pump gun racking.

Rack-it Enhancer
Still working on a name, that one might get caught by Net Nanny...*whups*

Oh one does not have to shoot, I mean Magic Talismans keep evil away - it is twue, I read on teh Intrawebz

This would be like stereo contests, or car hop contests. Just a bunch of pump guns getting racked and measured by dBs and whatever else.

Whaddya think?

If you build it - they will buy it.

Competitor number number 17 with the Ultimate Extreme Shotgun with the Rack-it is on the line...

*tacky*

RoscoeC
March 3, 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking about marketing some CD's with nothing but the "racking sound" of a pump shotgun on them.

I'm working on a cheap replica plastic pump shotgun. When you pull the trigger, it will make the racking sound. Should be able to make it to market for $49.95 (batteries not included). I think I will call it the Boxer Home Defense System (for Barbara Boxer). Whaddaya think? I'm gonna make millions!!

sm
March 3, 2008, 01:23 PM
RoscoeC,

Good idea!

You do the the Boxer Home Defense System Glenn and I will get the Rack-it deal going and we both can pit against each other like Coke vs Pespi and increase each others sales.

BHDS vs Rack-it threads...

I might just make the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine yet! *grin*

We keep getting richer, but we can't our picture, on the cover of the Rolling Stone...

Use Enough Tacky

Slopemeno
March 3, 2008, 02:54 PM
sm- Mine's got "front-to-back, 'n side-to-side"

That's an Easy-E reference...anybody? This thing on?

sm
March 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
*grin*

Criminals are going to hear about all this new-fangled stuff we are proposing, and be afraid to mess with us.

Maybe they will pick on the Kennedy-Boxers and beg, plead, whine, grovel and threaten not to bribe politicians if they will quit this Tyranny gun control bit.

Deer kEnnedy -bOxer,

Pleese kwit gUn control.
I skeeered and peed myself getting near a hUouse ree-cent-lee.

I kwit, gIve up, law-full foLks win!

reEgurards,

Daly Joliet.
IL Corkections
# BR5492
'Class of '99

sm
March 3, 2008, 04:35 PM
Best Defense Shotgun : Ain't one

Bottom line, there is no best shotgun, or any firearm for defensive use.

The faster folks realize physical things such as shotguns, are not magic talismans the better off they will be.
Shotgun ( guns period) will not magically keep evil away, nor if evil does show up , magically do a Bruce Lee and kick butt and take names all by its lonesome.

The faster most folks realize they suck, guns suck, it totally sucks to be where evil is, the better off they will be.

Getting down to the gonad cutting, one is wise to prevent evil from showing up in the first place.
Lights, dawg, yard and property maintained and not "inviting" to a bad guy.

Get rid of the Neon Signs advertising you have something BGs want.
I mean really...bad guys are not stupid, they have all day to practice their skills sets.

They read people , places and things. Heck we have some BGs that were trained by Uncle Sam, or LEO agencies, no tats, no record, that get the training, maybe have been in the Sandbox and are top notch , honest to goodness military folks including "elite forces".

These come back and train gang buddies, this was the original idea. Them going in, learning all this stuff and training gang buddies.

You want to go up a elite, trained BG? Knock yourself out Margo...not me, I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid.

That guy or gal with training, has dropped more shells most have fired, and they had all the free ammo and all sorts of neat guns to shoot.

So while you are jacking a tack-tickle shotgun you have not shot, this BG is not scared, he is going to come around and shove a 59 cent screwdriver into you and kill you.
Then have his way with your wife and daughter.

MS13 - I assure you those folks did not get initiated by knowing the words to the Barney Song.

Racking a shotgun...you just told them where you are and I hope you don't have any sights on that gun, as they are not going to shove up your rear end with KY, then kill you, and then have fun with your wife and daughter.

$1200, let us say one has $1200 for the Ultimate Extreme Shotgun with Exotic ammo.

You are better off not buying a shotgun - yet.

First, get the yard cleaned up, remove the fake bullet holes on the truck, the vanity plates "Heck with 911 I dial .357" the plague on the front door "Protected by Smith & Wesson".

Quit strutting around with logo gear telling everyone you have guns, jlry, furs, or whatever valuables you have.

Get a Mom&Pop Locksmith to install Meddaco locks, face plates and the like.
Make inquires into a alarm system .
Get motion lights up

Make the home less inviting and better "preventative".

Now, go take a class from SouthNarc, Givens, Awerbuck, Cain, Rogers...

You might NOT choose to use a shotgun for your home.

So for instance SouthNarc shares what his "3+1" is and that alone was worth the class itself.

Givens shared having a gun on person entering and leaving a structure was a real good idea, as this is a vulnerable time.

Awerbuck blew your mind when he shared he uses a double bbl shotgun.
Clint Smith a single shot 20 ga at his bedside.

Rogers shares if you can afford a AR, what to get, what not to and since your wife is physically limited, an AR might be best for you for your Home Gun, as she can shoot a AR, and get her butt to one of his classes.

$1200, one could go visit some seasoned shooters that know about gun fit.
Shoot a variety of guns to see what fits you. Which manual of arms works for you.
Get some basic fundamentals with a gun that fits.
Then get a good used one like it.
Let us say a $150 Model 1200 at the pawn shop.

Spend money on light loads and become one with that gun.
I assure you if you show up to see Awerbuck, he will not look at you funny.

Mr. Awerbuck,
I have this gun, I had some seasoned folks assist with gun fit, safety, fundamentals, still I am here to learn and willing to better myself.

Awerbuck is going to address the pros and cons of all shotgun types, the difference in a defensive shotgun fit, and hunting and clays fit. Address patterning defensive loads just like one does hunting and clays.

Now that pawn shop 1200 you can take a class with.
You will be educated on LOP and other things. That notebook with all your notes comes home with you.

Now, you can either keep the 1200 you have for clays and hunting, and fit it to defensive measurements - or - get another exact same gun, another $150 pawn shop special and tweak that one, like Awerbuck assisted fit for you and your needs.

Two shotguns for $300 plus what Awerbuck said you needed for your tasks.

Meddaco locks, motion lights, and a person that can run a $150 shotgun is a whole lot better at staying safe than a person with a $1200 shotugn with no preventative measures, and has only run a 5 pk of buckshot to bust a watermelon.

Best kept secret is a 20 ga semi auto, like a Beretta 303, 390/39s, 1100, 1400, ...

The reason is, this person has trigger time at hunting, skeet, 5 stand and maybe sporting clays.
They know the gun, they focus on the target, not the gun.
Shooting under some kind of pressure, transitions into other "pressures" and running a gun.

Never doubt what a 20 ga skeet gun will do in the hands of a skeet shooter.
Or, clay shooter, bird hunter (quail explode) and hunter in general.
Granted, they are not shooting defensive games, still they know that gun like a body part.

I've seen grown macho guys pee themselves when quail flush. They never got the gun up, much less safety off, and that wonderful , beautiful bird , only the size of a fist, is long gone...

No tool is ever any better than user of said tool.

johnbt
March 3, 2008, 05:22 PM
Quail, blink and they're gone. Fast little beggars. Light and oh so quick.

Weight: 6-8 ounces
Length: 8-11 inches.
Flight speed: 30-40 mph.

sm
March 3, 2008, 05:36 PM
Respect the quail - Robert Ruark

One would be wise to learn about quail as one can learn a lot from these wonderful birds about street smarts, prevention, awareness, distract, evade and - survival.

Mentors & Elders learned from quail and passed onto to me lessons about quail.
They had me investigate and verify about these quail.

Defensive shotgun, and other defensive firearm lessons, come from quail.

*grin*

How raised - what you do.

Webleymkv
March 3, 2008, 05:53 PM
Whichever one is in your hand. I've got a Remington 870 Express Magnum that I use for that purpose but I wouldn't feel too bad using my old Sears 20ga pump or my NEF 10ga single shot either. Honestly, I think there's a lot to be said for a good double barrel in this role.

dmxx99
March 3, 2008, 05:56 PM
Remington 870 express is for me always have it next to my bed
but I will get a Mossberg 500 and a double barrel shotgun in 20 and 12 guage as backups.
Where I live its safe but the world is never 100% safe no matter where you go so its always good to be prepared because life is not always fair so to increase odds of surviving you get prepared as best as you can.

rocinante
March 4, 2008, 06:43 AM
I am kind of partial to my Saiga 12. Add the ratcheting of that big bolt to your criminal pee in da pants in da dark CD.

Dusty Rivers
March 4, 2008, 11:09 AM
this web site has an excellent article on home defense shotgun selection.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/def_090105/index.html

There are 3 pages so read them all. I found a brand new in the box Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Deer 12 GA. It has a 22" rifled barrel, rifle sights, and when you remove the plug, you end up with one in the chamber and 4 in the barrel. after that my Sig will ad a few rounds to the mix.

I paid $249. I don't care if I ruin the rifling handling a BG with buckshot.
Hopefully I will still be around after the 5 rounds have ruined the rifling. I will not be to upset to fork out $150 for a new barrel.

In a fight for your life (or your loved ones), the object is to die well.
( liberal interpertation from Josey Wales):p:rolleyes::cool:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/def_090105/index.html

What is a good non leather sling app 36"?

azsixshooter
March 4, 2008, 11:21 AM
What do you think is the best home defense shotgun?

THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

hehehe, seriously any solid 12 or 20 gauge pump or semi should suit you just fine. Just remember to load 00 or 1 buck and pattern your barrel to see what brand it likes to eat.

sm
March 4, 2008, 01:10 PM
H&R Topper Youth 20 gauge single shot shotgun, plain barrel with fixed modified choke, factory recoil pad and factory bead .

This is the only shotgun I keep at home, in fact the only long gun I keep at home.
Slugs are my load of choice.

Now this gun tosses some of the best slug groups, #3 buckshot and other pellet loadings.

Total length of the gun is 36", barrel alone is 22". I am 6' tall and I can stand with this gun, down by side, and the muzzle does not hit the floor. I can stand there in a doorway and you cannot see what is in the hand you don't see. Either hand, as I can shoot it one handed if need be.

Hotel/Motel change the load to #3 buckshot and in a garment bag, nobody knows there is a full assembled shotgun inside. Room service does not see it when they bring me dinner.

Most folks have a shotgun or rifle if I baby sit the house, still, I am just some guy, with a garment bag - maybe spending the night, or that guy that must be baby sitting the house.

This gun, is responsible for whole lot of folks having one just like it.

Single shot shotguns I grew up with, 12 bore and the Rule of 96 makes the 20 bore best for the general purpose single shot.

28 ga is best for introducing new shooters , especially kids, as the 28 ga is better than it is supposed to be, and kids will fell clay, and doves, rabbits , squirrels better than the less effective .410.

.410, is used, in fact I use a youth size one as my "assisting tool" as I can show folks correct basics, and hold and tote for long time.
New shooters, working on correct mounting to face, foot position, stance, also use the .410, some kids are just that small, I am up front and honest about this, and kids understand as we do the pattern board. So with me and kids, it is "Okay, I understand".

12 ga is more plentiful and have more offerings, 20 ga is next .
Yellow is a safety thing, and another reason why this gauge was used so much when I was kid.

Still, I have no idea how many single shot 20 gauge shotguns me and mine have given away over the years.

My role, I have my reasons, and part has to do with how raised and Mentors, still a person is in a bad way, and they have a right to be safe, and we get them a gun - get them up to speed in a hurry , and the single shot 20 gauge allows for this.

Everybody kept one behind a back door - at least. Anyone in the house could shoot it, from Grandma, to kid, to mom, to big old stropping dad.

Single gal is being stalked and is in fear, and only age 17...
Single mom is beaten by an abusive husband and the kid too, get them to a safe place and in a heartbeat I /we could get them up to speed with a single shot gun.
Elderly couple , and one in a wheelchair and we gave them a SS 20 ga.

College kid, new in town, under age 21 and living in an apartment, they got a 20 ga SS and when they traveled back home, they had a gun if they had car trouble or had to spend the night in a hotel.

I was born in the mid 50's, and all my life a single shot, the majority being a 20 ga, was given away, to those in need.

Obtained, hoarded and put back, and many a time a tornado or something come up, and folks could not get to guns under rubble, or maybe blown off somewhere.
Pass out the SS 20 bores, boxes of shells and the .38spl revolvers and ammo and - folks can work these and these will keep them safe.

Home defense many times in a rural area is a kid out back with the family pet and that rabid raccoon for instance gets into the yard.
A big brother/sister, grandparent, parent can step out back and pop that threat, which is a serious one, and toss the rabid raccoon on the burn pile.

Weight of gun.

A bigger person can shoot a smaller gun - a smaller person may not be able to shoot a bigger gun.

I know too many folks on gun forums and in real life, the Home Gun is set up for the smallest person that might have to use it.

Keep in mind you might get shot, or not be able to access a 10 pound or so Tactical gun.
It might be the wife, girlfriend, grandparent or kid. It might be one has a physically limited member in the home, wheelchair bound, born without a full hand,or no arm from the elbow down...we have members on forums with these exact situations.

So one has to stop the threat, assist family hurt or down, use a phone...

Can someone shoot your 10 pound gun with a 14 1/2" LOP ? Can they hold it and use the phone and keep a BG at bay? Could they shoot if they had to being on the phone?

Can they operate the gun? It is difficult to reach controls and trigger, is the manual of arms unique and different?

Shots fired and your neighbor comes a running to assist, and you are down and they have to use your shotgun as the BG ran into another room/ might be still near ...neighbor needs to use your shotgun to assist.

Most folks are familiar with simple tools, Revolvers, Single Shot shotguns, even pumps. Many are familiar with a 1100, 1400, A5, Beretta 303, 390/391...

If the shoot is good the shoot is good

First responders are going to have sort matters out, the situation will dictate, still if told to "drop it" one is wise to "drop it".

Legal stuff, what are folks going to see? First impressions stick, and your photo is on a folder, and what does that picture look like?

Everyone that sees that folder will see your picture and inside the firearms used.
Oh one is innocent until proven guilty, and we are not supposed to judge a book by its cover - still....

Jury of one's peers- these are not necessarily 12 folks that are exactly like you.
Oh guns are fine, just not everyone hunts, shoots 3 gun, clay games...

Sensory input affects folks, CSI syndrome is one example. MSM , TV , Movies are as well.

The Jury is going to read you. Every time you lean over to speak to attorney, scratch your nose, cough, use a pen/pencil to write something down, read something your attorney wrote down on a legal pad and slid in front of you, crossing arms, legs, leaning forward, back...

Jury is reading you and when the guns are introduced as evidence, both attorneys are going to address those guns. The jury will look at them guns, and watch the reaction you have, when both attorneys, and any witnesses called about them guns, gun uses, and about you and guns.

Home defense shotguns, or any firearm is not just only about "having a shotgun/ firearm".

There is a whole lot more to all this.

Not guilty!. verdict..but it costs , and it costs more than just money.

Family get strained, the company does not need the press and they really do not want you back at work. Other companies ...well...they really do not want any bad public relations either.

The wife/husband is drained emotionally, and divorce is filed. I mean that health plan is really needed with a kid and if she /he is not married to the other - maybe a job for them with insurance for the kid(s) is best.

Maybe the civil suit, laws may say, still one had to take the time, get that attorney again to deal with all this.

There are shotgunners, and there are those that own a shotgun, there is a difference.

Home defense shotguns, or any firearm is not just only about "having a shotgun/ firearm".

RandyStacyE
March 4, 2008, 03:08 PM
sm,

I enjoyed reading your thorough post.

It kinda smacks you into the reality of the situation. What I mean by that is, god forbid some stupid SOB forces me to protect my family, the reality of seeing my decked out Rem. 870 with a folding stock, mag extension, tactical light, and laser sitting on the evidence table ... well ... it might not look too good in the eyes of my so-called-peers :barf:

I know how stressful, draining, and disappointing the legal process truly is.

The sad part is ... for most people that is, the days of a loaded shotgun sitting in the open is long gone.

One day a relative's step-child walked into my father's home, opened the closet (where he knew a loaded 12 ga Mossberg was hanging), removed it, racked it, pointed it at the house keeper, and BAM!

Everyone turned out ok ONLY because the kid didn't (or couldn't) aim high enough. 00 buck ricocheted off the tile floor and embedded in her leg.

I’m not saying “don’t have guns out” and I’m not saying “keep your guns under lock and key”, I’m just saying ‘$hit happens’. Try telling that to child social services :) (and notice the disgusted looks on their face).

EVOIXGSR
March 7, 2008, 11:28 PM
i have a mossberg 500 cruiser, and it is 7+1. came with a pistol grip and heat shield

MyGunsJammed
March 7, 2008, 11:34 PM
EVOIXGSR,

a little OT but I drive an 05 EVO 8... :D

EVOIXGSR
March 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
4g63 FTW!

wnycollector
March 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
I picked up a mossberg maverick 88 (8 shot 20" barrel) a few months ago for less than $200. It seems to be pretty decent quality and has eaten up a ~ two hundred slugs, buck and birdshot w/o a problem. Budsgunshop.com has them for $195 delivered.

Dave McC
March 8, 2008, 09:37 AM
Brand arguments are starting to give me the pip.

The BEST HD shotgun is the one you've made a pile of empties with since Labor Day. If it feels like a body part and not a tool, you've got it.

drdriller
March 8, 2008, 09:57 AM
Of course.
But, you want a shotgun that is high in quality, and reliable. A bunch of empty shells in a gun that jams and/or feeds poorly, is a useless piece of junk. This forum helped me to decide on the type of gun to buy, relying on other people's personal experiences.
I appreciate all the posts and helpful information.

mikenbarb
March 9, 2008, 09:29 AM
Ithica MAG-10 is my choice with 3-1/2" #4 Buckshot.:D Cuts em rite in half.

EVOIXGSR
March 9, 2008, 12:18 PM
For home defense, I would recommend pump-action so if someone hears it they will hopefully leave and avoid confrontation. ALso, the mossberg 500/590 is the only pump-action shotgun to pass the military endurance test

Rob96
March 9, 2008, 12:38 PM
For home defense, I would recommend pump-action so if someone hears it they will hopefully leave and avoid confrontation.

This is one of the biggest myths. Right there with you don't have to point(aim) the shot becasue it just spreads.

ALso, the mossberg 500/590 is the only pump-action shotgun to pass the military endurance test

Somewhat true. Mossberg was the only entry I believe.

EVOIXGSR
March 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
im not sure that is a myth. If my wife is home alone and she hears someone in the house I have told her to yell that she has a gun, and to rack the shotgun and then call the cops and lock the door. If I was doing a home invasion, I would think twice about entering a room where someone is know to have a shotgun and I am not wanted.

RandyStacyE
March 9, 2008, 09:04 PM
If something bumps in the night I reach for the 12 guage Remington 870.

I first purchased my Remington Express Magnum shown below:
http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/870_exp_sm_combo[1].jpg

It came with the shorter barrel and the longer barrel for water fowl (ducks and such). I chose to slap on the short barrel for home defense.

The first thing I did was ditch the wood. I bought the TacStar Forend Grip. The Advanced Technologies Forend Grip SUCKS because it will twist from side to side with very little force. The TacStar Forend Grip does not move at all, feels much more comfortable, and is rock solid. I appreciate the stability that this grip provides and makes shooting much more enjoyable because of it.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/21/23/99/i212399sq04.jpg

I then purchased the Advanced Technologies Folding Stock. This stock may not be the most comfortable stock in the world, far from it, but it certainly does the job. I certainly do not feel the need to replace it unless I find a MUCH better folding stock (which hasn’t happened yet).
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/47/32/i224732sn02.jpg

Small additions are easy if you have a mag extension. A mag extension will give you a few more rounds in the tube and gives you more versatility with the shotgun. I believe that Remington has models that hold more rounds therefore does not require a mag extension, but at the time I didn’t know to look for one. I tried the ‘Advanced Technologies’ mag extension and I hated it. It was just a flimsy plastic piece of junk not worthy of clamping ANYTHING to it. I liked the TacStar mag extension because it’s made of solid steel tubing and is rock solid. I noticed that there are more expensive extensions out there, but I have no experience with them … I only know that the TacStar does a good job and has worked flawlessly for me.
http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/12y5.jpg

I’ve grown VERY fond of having a tactical light on my ‘home defense weapons’. I stumbled across this light for around $30.00 at a local gun show. I have to say that this was the brightest single LED tactical light I’ve seen that was in my price range. It comes with the pressure switch as shown, a momentary push-button end cap; which also acts as a on/off switch when turned. This light is VERY bright. I can think of more reasons to have one than to not. On a side note I prefer to also have a hang gun with a light for home defense too.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/randystacye/AR-15/ledflashlight.gif

I honestly can not recall a failure with this shotgun. It has served me well and I’m sure it has for many others.

The Mossberg is another excellent shotgun for home defense. My father has on hangin in the closet and did not require a mag extension. If I realized that before I purchased the Remington 870 then I probably would have bought the Mossberg.

RandyStacyE
March 9, 2008, 09:06 PM
Just for the heck of it ... here's a locaiton to get that light shown in my previous post:
http://www.marstar.ca/ac-optics/lasers-and-lights.shtm

Here's the 'barrel mount' that I used too which secures the barrel to the mag extension:
http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-lp-mt-mnt-br003xl.html

Alert
March 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
I prefer my Winchester 1300 (fullstock) but sometimes my Mossberg 500 (pistolgrip stock) is closer