PDA

View Full Version : Do Accessories made for the Mossberg 500 fit on the Maverick 88?

Beansie_Time
February 21, 2008, 05:22 PM
I am considering a Maverick 88 as an HD shotgun, do replacement stocks, folding stocks, extra barrels, etc. for a Mossberg 500 fit on these?
And if not are accessories available for the Maverick 88?

Thanks in advance

Dfariswheel
February 21, 2008, 07:41 PM
As far as I know, all Model 500 accessories and barrels will fit the Model 88.

The Model 88 is simply a very slightly different "budget model" of the Model 500.

hogdogs
February 21, 2008, 08:03 PM
Rear stocks and barrels will swap fine. Junior had a hard time fitting a front stock from a 500 on his mav but I think it was monkey error. I was under the influence of heavy drugs and unable to help him with it. he did some carving to make it fit. mag tube I am not so sure of but oughta fit...
Junior gave me his mav 88 poly rear stock since my disabled left arm/hand made the pistol grip hold less than ideal.
Brent

rantingredneck
February 21, 2008, 08:09 PM
I've read somewhere that some of the internals (trigger group/ bolt) parts won't interchange, but that's just what I've read. Barrels, stocks, etc. should work.

hogdogs, I wonder if the reason that forend didn't fit had more to do with the change in forend length/style mossberg did. newer forends don't interchange with older guns. Might have been that rather than the mossberg/maverick differences.

nitrofox187
March 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
All Mossberg 500 Parts & accessories will work on the maverick 88.

I have both and have taken apart both and swapped the parts out just fine. actually the inner workings are exactly the same. I was surprised. There are minor differences but the measurements are all the same. I think that the cheaper 88 model only differs maybe in quality of metal used, because like I said I swapped out just about every part. the only difference I found was the safety setup. but the trigger mechanism is the same so with switching optional parts you can interchange the safety setups too.

The only thing that I dont know if it is interchangeable is the magazine tube. I could unscrew it from the 500 but did not bother trying very hard to uscrew the 88 because my 88 is blued and I didnt want to scratch it up.

BTW the forends are interchangeable I switched them out too.

essexcounty
March 21, 2008, 12:18 PM
If memory serves the Maverick doesn't have the tang saftey of the 500. I'd opt for the Mossberg for that reason alone. Essex