PDA

View Full Version : Police shells?

eastbxc
February 21, 2008, 01:45 PM
What is a typical shell that police officers use? I assume that they have what ever they need.

Superhouse 15
February 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Most of my local agencies use Federal Tactical, the old H132 load in OO buck. One or two use Remington full power OO. The SWAT guys do indeed have other stuff for different purposes.

Dfariswheel
February 21, 2008, 07:54 PM
The more or less national "standard load" is a standard non-Magnum load of 00 buckshot.

Some departments are going to "reduced recoil" ammo that reduces the pounding from standard loads of buck.
This allows easier use by smaller officers, and faster follow up shots.

eastbxc
February 21, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thank you very much for the information. Its question I have always wondered about.

workinwifdakids
February 21, 2008, 10:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken, LA County Sheriff's Department issues #4 buck, but allows users to select 00-buck if they choose.

nemoaz
February 21, 2008, 10:44 PM
As others have said, OO Buck for the most part. Some reduced recoil loads. Occasionally, I hear of people using 4 Buck. Think the FBI used to have 4 Buck. Many departments also have slugs available. I've seen 1 Buck recommended by tactical schools, and I assume some would carry it. I've never heard of a police department issuing anything except buckshot or slugs. No birdshot, in other words. There are some specialty loads, less than lethal, breaching rounds, etc., that aren't generally available to civvies.

9mm1033
February 22, 2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe not now, but many years ago, load five rounds, three 00 buck and two deer slugs in Remington 870.

TCman
February 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
Indiana Conservation Officer's load their 870s with 8 winchester rifled slugs.