PDA

View Full Version : pistol grip

bazookazilla
February 20, 2008, 10:02 PM
I am VERY new to shotguns, please pardon my ignorance if I say anything stupid. I have a Remington 870. But my question is: With a pistol grip installed on my 870 and what I think would be called 'no additional stock" and an 18" barrel would the recoil be tremendous? Please keep in mind that I am soooo new to shotgunning that I have not even had a chance to fire my 870 one time. I do not mind recoil, unless it is at a level that makes the gun unmanageable (for a novice such as myself). I intend to use the gun with it's full stock and 28" barrels for clay shooting, but would like to switch the barrel and stock for home defense when not being used for clay shooting. Would I be better off to do with the Remington stock?

EEL92fs
February 20, 2008, 10:11 PM
I think we all have tryed the pistol grip one time =) then you take it off and put the stock back on.. You have to at least try it one time. I now have my Mossy 500 with the stocks and an 18 1/2 barrel.

bazookazilla
February 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
pretty vicious eh?

rem870hunter
February 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
it can be especially vicious with 3" shells. i fired some 2 and 3/4" buckshot from the hip when i was younger. i didn't like it. best bet leave a full buttstock on it with the 18.5" barrel. your wrists will thank you.

bazookazilla
February 20, 2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks for your input guys, it is what I expected to hear

EEL92fs
February 21, 2008, 12:09 AM
Now you still have to try it :D

hogdogs
February 21, 2008, 01:33 AM
YUP you gotta enjoy/try it fer yerself... Before i mucked up my arm I would never consider anything else for GO-TO HD gun! I would hold the 20 Ga. 500 up the shoulder and straight arm drop it and fire... Loved it... many don't... Never once has a 3inch round been fed to my black girlfriend! Now I got a messed up left arm, I was left handed but fired as a right hander... my pump 'em up arm was compromised with injury.... Junior gave me his plastic full stock off his maverick pump and I have the pistol grip on my nightstand...;) he said... dang dad that is tough! Recoil ain't the issue IMHO... it is the first offering of target and target acquisition on follow ups... Since I have not got the strength in my forward hand i make up for it in rearward hand... I cannot do battle as previous so now I approach it different... Unknown forward observation relies on stock under right upper arm (like a dern vise)....
I hear unknown target up forward i have gun at ready-to-fire position with shoulder stock FIRMLY PLANTED... finger on guard safety ON it is how I had to adapt... YMMV!
Brent

bazookazilla
February 22, 2008, 11:08 PM
is there a way anyone can think of that I could try it w/o having to shell out $$ for something I would only use once or twice? My local range only allows shotguns one day a week and I doubt that they have one like that for the same reasons. Also, how do you go about removing the stock?

EEL92fs
February 22, 2008, 11:22 PM
you take off the shockpad then you need a real long screwdriver

curmudgeon1
February 23, 2008, 06:35 PM
A Knoxx shock absorber pistol grip tames the meanness on
my 18.5" Mossberg 12ga. HD gun. No pain at all, fun to shoot.

mrnash
February 23, 2008, 09:33 PM
low recoil buckshot my 870 police has factory stock and ghost ring sights i use that for the heavy loads but my winchester defender has a pistol grip on it i shoot 2 and 3/4" low recoil buckshot plus for fun some 1 and 3/4" inch shells i can fit 13 of them in the defender ;)

YukonKid
February 23, 2008, 10:16 PM
I shot my 870 w/18 barrel pistol grip one handed, it was pure fun. I was using light loads though, when i shot slugs/buckshot, i fired it correctly and the recoil was manageable, but i would not call it conferrable.

YK

chris in va
February 24, 2008, 03:36 AM
curmudgeon said it. Knoxx makes a recoil reducing pistol grip.

http://www.knoxx.com/products/BreachersGrip.php

plateshooter
February 24, 2008, 06:52 AM
I have a pistol grip 12 gauge Maverick. I have a laser on it, and where the dot hits, the shot hits. Works for slugs too. Without the laser, I doubt I could hit anything with it so I only use it for a range gun. It is a lot of fun with the laser.

bazookazilla
February 24, 2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone tried the Hogue pistol grip?

Dfariswheel
February 24, 2008, 07:53 PM
As they go, the Hogue and the Pachmayr shotgun pistol grip is about as good as it gets.

The real reason not to use a PG-only shotgun grip is because unlike in the movies and on TV, the grip actually makes the gun LESS effective and slower to use.

What it does is basically turn your totally effective shotgun into a giant pistol.
You can't shoot it like a pistol, but you can't shoot it like a long gun either.
It's an education to take a man armed with a PG-only shotgun to a real shotgun combat range and watch while he proves to himself that in "the Real World" he can't hit anything with the thing.

While it's fun to use a PG-only gun on a standard range to hit targets, when it comes to the real thing, you actually MISS the target because you can't get a good "point" with the gun.
The only place a PG-only gun is good at is as a bodyguard's inside the car gun, or as a military/SWAT door hinge blower with special ammo just for that purpose.
Take a look at a professional shotgun man, and the gun will have a stock and a bare minimum of accessories.

As they said above, this is something you just have to spend the money to prove to yourself.
Go ahead, the recoil will be ferocious, and if you're honest with yourself, you'll realize just how much harder and slower it is to get hits on target.

tplumeri
February 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
I intend to use the gun with it's full stock and 28" barrels for clay shooting, but would like to switch the barrel and stock for home defense when not being used for clay shooting.

sounds like a plan to me.
easy to manuever with the pistol grip in close quarters, like a bedroom. and accuracy at 15 feet is not an issue.

SCREAMIII2006
February 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
The real reason not to use a PG-only shotgun grip is because unlike in the movies and on TV, the grip actually makes the gun LESS effective and slower to use.

+1
At my local range shotguns with pistol grips were not allowed after a few "rambos" knocked thier teeth out trying to use the factory sites.

A pistol grip,while intially cheaper, will only lead you too replace with a full stock later on.

I suggest[ if you must have a pistol grip ], a folding stock or an AR style stock.

Dfariswheel
February 25, 2008, 07:41 PM
accuracy at 15 feet is not an issue.

Accuracy at closer ranges is MORE important.
A shotgun pattern spreads at a rate of "about" one inch per yard.
That means that at 15 feet, the shot will be in about a 4 inch circle.

Cut out a piece of paper 4 inches in diameter and hang it on the wall 15 feet away. Notice how small that spot is.
At typical inside the house ranges, it's extremely easy to flat out MISS.

With a shotgun you MUST aim or "point" the gun.
As any well trained long gunner can tell you, unless a butt stock is in your shoulder, you'll miss often.

bazookazilla
February 25, 2008, 09:43 PM
That makes sense, this discussion is gettin' fun!!!

Sgt.Fathead
February 26, 2008, 01:15 AM
I have an 870 Express Synthetic 8-shot with a SpeedFeed III on it and that stock has a pistol grip with a standard stock, something akin to an older style M16 configuration. Works great but I never try to shoot it from the hip!

I've also stopped using my shotgun as primary HD as moving it's length in close confines proved too difficult.

curmudgeon1
February 26, 2008, 04:41 AM
At the risk of being judged a "rambo"........
I can/have centered 12 ga. charges repeatedly in the chest area of man-sized silhouette targets at 21 ft.using my pistol-grip Mossberg and shooting off the hip; it's easy. It gets easier to center it at closer distances. With a barrel length of only 18.5 in., it's also easier to maneuver in close quarters, which is why I chose it for HD.

SCREAMIII2006
February 28, 2008, 04:16 PM
I used the term "rambo" to describe anyone who has more money then common sense,not your style of gun. No offense was meant to those who exercise due care and common sense.

I agree in tight spaces the pistol grip has its advantages over a full stock.

However,for some reason whenever there is unexpected knock on the door my hand automatically finds my .45;)

hogdogs
February 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Back in 1988-89 I was set on a "sawed off" but legal 12 gauge single for HD. I seen this purdy, shiny, new 20 gauge mossberg 500 with pistol grip and 18.5 inch barrel. I jist had to have it.... Well I have had my fun with it MUCHHHH fun I admit! Cut down numerous little trees, blasted "The Insurance Man" page from the phone book to teeny weenie little yellow bits! I have one armed it numerous times and shot some game and some clay pigeons too.... I Know it was harder to line it up but after a few thousand tries every hog is gonna stumble on an acorn:o now and again. I do know I can, in tight quarters, tuck the gun along my side in a john wayne style ready-to-fire position and use it just as good or better than just the pistol grip with this poly full stock installed.
Brent

fett tracking
February 28, 2008, 07:40 PM
hogue tamer and reduced recoil buckshot 18' 870p

cant go wrong for a backup weapon

sure its about as tactical as a .44mag, and yes it is harder for rapid firing at multiple targets, but if held tightly at eye level can drop a prowler just fine.

practice practice practice

but if you want multiple accurate shots in quick succesion, leave on the field stock

fett tracking
February 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xOYKDBe3Ys0&feature=related

ITS ALL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPXCS78XcRQ&feature=related

IN YOUR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmAzr8dH3T4&NR=1

TECHNIQUE

lol

bestbod85
February 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
i can see the advantages of the pg only, however in all those video's above they held it to their waist, you can hold a regular stocked sg the same way, AND you have the option to shoulder it as well just my opinion ;).

T.A.Sharps
February 29, 2008, 01:09 AM
I have an 870 with the black monte carlo stock, I wanted to put a pistole grip on it because I have it scoped and the pistol grips hold better into the pocket in my shoulder.

But now, I've been waiting so long to fork up the cash, that I've used the 870 so much my eye spot welds to the scope eye relief on that stock perfect, to where I can track a deer running with the scope on 9 power, in the woods.

I might still get a pistol grip someday, but I'm thinking why mess with it.

I'm not sure even if I had the grip I would change the stock out when I'm not using it for hunting. I would rather keep it so I'm as familiar with it as possible if it came down to defending my self. But I don't think a pistole grip would hinder you if you had to get it in a hurry, the grip is made to be more natural fitting to the way your hand wraps around something.

As for recoil,
Its a shotgun you will have it, just learn how to take it. Put that butt in the pocket of your shoulder, and be in a position to where your body rolls back with the recoil. Also get a nice recoil pad. I have "Shooters Friend" which takes up 70% of felt recoil I think, may not be pretty, but it works great.

Be aware if you are developing a bad flinch, too much anticipation before the shot making you flinch hard as you pull the trigger. But that is more for shooting at longer rang for accuracy.