PDA

View Full Version : Is shortstock illegal for autoloaders?

Bruxley
February 18, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have just purchased a new Rem. 11-87 and there seems to be no offering for a short stock to make it less unwieldy and more able to hide when I'm not home.

I have come to wonder is it is a legal CYA on the part of the manufactures of these stocks to not advertise their compatibility or is it that they are seen as impractical?

Are the stocks for the pumps offered by Remington compatible with the 11-87?

hogdogs
February 18, 2008, 07:22 PM
In Florida it must only meet Federal barrel and overall length limitations even for hunting...
Brent

Dfariswheel
February 18, 2008, 07:54 PM
If you mean you want a "stock" that's just a pistol grip, with no butt stock, you physically can't install one on a Remington 1100 or 11-87.
Part of the recoil mechanism of these guns is inside the butt stock and a pistol grip won't fit over the recoil assembly.

You CAN install a shorter standard type butt stock.
As far as I know, there's no laws anywhere on using shorter butt stocks.
These shorter length of pull stocks (commonly called shorter LOP) are sold by several companies, and are used for people who wear thick winter clothing or body armor.

A good one is made by the Speedfeed company:
http://www.speedfeedinc.com/

Smitty in CT
February 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
In CT, some autoloaders are considered "assault weapons" if they meet the following definitions:

A pistol grip by itself does not count, but if you have a pistol grip and an extended capacity magazine you just broke the law..... just plain rediculous!!

CT gun laws, Chapter 943, Sec, 53-202a:

CHAPTER 943
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:
(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:
(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine

You don't say what state you're in, so make sure to check your local laws, too....

rem870hunter
February 18, 2008, 09:14 PM
the don't make a pistol grip only type of butt. my father has a 12 ga. rem. 1100. the rear of the receiver has a piece that protrudes into the stock.

smitty nj is the same way with the semi auto shotgun laws of ct. i can have a 7 or 8 shot ext. on a pump with a pistol grip butt or buttstock. but if i was to put that same setup on a semi auto shotgun it's illegal. its funny the way the law is you can have more than 5 shots with a regular buttstock but not a pistol grip buttstock. or a pistol grip buttstock on the shotgun as long as you can't load more than 5 shots.

Bruxley
February 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
I was referring to a short stock like those sold by Knoxx. Short stock w/ pistol grip. Pistol only would be tough for the wife to hold on too.

I see the problem I think, the mechanism won't permit it. This must be common among the big 3 of shot guns (Rem., Moss., Win.) as there are exactly NONE for any of the auto loaders by those manufacturers.

Looks like a Speedfeed IV is my only option.

Thanks alot guys. I really do appreciate your generosity with your knowledge.

Slopemeno
February 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
The existing stock can easily be shortened by your local gunsmith. He can even reuse your recoil pad and make it look "factory".

Smitty in CT
February 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
Choate makes one that adjusts down to 13", if you can get past the looks...

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=3&Product_CatalogID=2738&ProductNumber=01%2D01%2D34&ProductCode=23&ProductSubCodeID=163&NewProduct=0

cabbynate
February 19, 2008, 04:34 AM
Choate makes one that adjusts down to 13", if you can get past the looks...
HaHaHa!!! That thing is fugly!!!!!!:barf:

theprisoner
February 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
In CT that law does not apply to ones that were made before the law was enacted such as my HK marked Benelli that has the full 7 round tube mag as long as they were not named on the list such as the the Striker, Franchi SPAS12 and so on. Idiocy!