PDA

View Full Version : O/U Shotgun-Birthday gift for my dad

flight954
February 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
Looking to get my dad his first over and under 20 gauge shotgun. $3000.00 budget. He is a big dove and quail hunter. Any suggestions?

classic095
February 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
For that money I would go with one of the better semis, Benelli , with those ya get three shots, better for quail hunting than 2. But if yours set on that check out The new browning cenergy , which is good.

I myself use a .410 over under for hunting birds, shooting Skeet, and 5 stand..

Rigby1962
February 18, 2008, 12:17 PM
I would go with a Used Beretta. Some very nice ones can be had for the price.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 18, 2008, 06:28 PM
Look to Beretta or Browning----try to see which one fits him best--if not a surprise gift. $3000 will get a really nice O/U.

jaymce
February 18, 2008, 07:29 PM
Browning, Beretta and Cesar Guarinin (not sure if I spelled that right) all can be had for under the price you suggest. I would suggest taking him along as shotgun fit is paramount in shotgun shooting. I also might be tempted to go with a little cheaper on the gun say 2500 and add a 500$ fitting session (not sure how much it costs to have a gun fit. )

Good luck

johnbt
February 18, 2008, 09:02 PM
Nice gift idea. What do think he'd like?

You can get an entry-level Guerini Woodlander for a couple hundred under $3k. It's a hunting model and comes with a wooden buttplate. He might need to have a rubber one installed if he's going to do any high-volume dove hunting.

www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/woodlander/Woodlander.shtml

I have a 28 ga. Woodlander. They're great guns.

So are Berettas. :)

The Guerini Tempio Light would make a great quail gun, but it lists for about $3200.

www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/tempio_lgt/TempioLgt.shtml

That brings us back to what you think he'd like.

John

YukonKid
February 18, 2008, 09:08 PM
+1 to what John said. They are excellent weapons

flight954
February 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. I sell tooling to Briley Mfg., so my outside salesman and I went and talked to the shotgun smiths. They had a used consignment Beretta Silver Pigeon 12GA., 4 12GA. Briley chokes, 20GA. bore sleeves w/ 20GA. Briley chokes and a SKB case. I got everything for about $650 under my budget. It's a beautiful shotgun and I believe my dad is going to really enjoy it.