PDA

View Full Version : At what point does collecting become the illegal "Stockpiling" of ammunition?

Aqeous
February 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
I came across one or two insistences on the Internet where men have been arrested and there guns and ammunitions had been confiscated for what is being called the "Stockpiling of ammunition." Someone please school me in this concept? At what point does having a whole bunch of guns and a whole bunch of ammo for each one become the illegal "Stockpiling" of ammunition?

Jimro
February 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
Laws vary by town/county/state.

Check your local laws for specifics in your area.

Jimro

TATER
February 15, 2008, 05:32 PM
Just the other night, on the evening news, .....The suspect was arrest and an arsenal of
Weapons seized, Two HiPower rifles Over a hundred rounds of ammo and a MACHETE!!
Translation: Marlin 30-30, Ruger10-22 with a brick of ammo and a machete on the back porch...
Face it, If they are fearfull you are screwed.:rolleyes:

BillCA
February 15, 2008, 05:53 PM
In some local jurisdictions they may require a fire dept. permit to store large quantities of ammo. This can vary by county or by city. These regulations should be determined by the national fire standards, but too often anti-gun nitwits on city counsels attempt to make absurd restrictions.

How do you know if you have "stockpiled" too much ammo?

- When the floor of your closet sags...and it's a concrete slab.
- When your wife complains about having to put her shoes on top of the ammo cases
- When you arrange cases of ammo like a sofa and then throw a blanket on top.
- You can't get your motorcyle into a 2 car garage because it's full of ammo.
- Your "coffee table" is a piece of wood supported by cases of ammo.
- Your kids complain that there's no room in their closets for clothes or toys.
- The USMC lists you as an alternate ammo supplier.

Double Naught Spy
February 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
According to Merriam Webster online, one definition of arsenal is simply - a collection of weapons. Two guns, ammo, and a machete would constitute an arsenal by that definition.

hpg
February 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
What ammo?, ain't got no stinking ammo....................:D.......................hpg

warrior poet
February 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
BillCA now THAT's what I'm talking about... woo hoo!

Army GI
February 15, 2008, 06:07 PM
I don't think there is a legal limit.

However, having more than 1lb of black powder or 20lbs of smokeless powder is illegal in california if not loaded into cartridges.

Also, you might want to check with your homeowners insurance because they have clauses on how much ammo you can have before they pay you for damage to the house. State Farm is no more than 10k.

The Lovemaster
February 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
Having fun is also illegal in California.:D

davlandrum
February 15, 2008, 06:31 PM
Too much ammo is when you have so much, your kids can shoot a brick of .22 every weekend, and you don't notice you are "losing" ammo.....

That was my buddy, shooting up his dad's supply. Cost him a year of haying for no pay to "repay" his dad, once he caught on.

Lavid2002
February 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
I read that in Nj you are not allowed to have have over 1,000lb of powder per hosuehold. but im not sure if thats true. I love to buy ammo in surplus and iw oudlnt mind knowing how much im allowed to have.

Rangefinder
February 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
At what point does having a whole bunch of guns and a whole bunch of ammo for each one become the illegal "Stockpiling" of ammunition?

-When your contractor gives you a preferred-customer discount on your newest addition to the vault because you've already purchased enough concrete work to build a 3-tier parking structure...

-If you sold all your spent brass as scrap you could pay off the new truck. If you counted all your loaded brass into the sell-off scrap price, you could buy two more trucks just like the new one...

thallub
February 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Most of these horror stories of "stockpiles of ammunition" and "arsenals of guns" comes from excited reporters in the People's Demokratic Republiks.

"If you sold all your spent brass as scrap you could pay off the new truck."

Which reminds me. Got to sell that 32 gallon garbage can full of brass while the price is high.

Tom2
February 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yea, two Red Ryders and a milk carton full of BB's would be an arsenal too. IMO if it does not contain anything outright illegal, it is just your shooting supplies. But I have seen pictures posted on forums of pallets of sealed cans of cheap eastern bloc ammo bought to stave off the price increases, that can become a nuisance in a normal abode.

MikeG
February 15, 2008, 07:53 PM
At what point does having a whole bunch of guns and a whole bunch of ammo for each one become the illegal "Stockpiling" of ammunition?

When the powers that be decide they don't like you.

davlandrum
February 15, 2008, 07:53 PM
1,000lb of powder

Where the heck do you store that much powder????

I guess I could get rid of all my hay and fill the barn (2-story).....:D

With my luck one of the chickens would be scratching around and detonate the whole homestead...

That one might be hard to explain to my insurance agent:p

Average Joe
February 15, 2008, 07:55 PM
The media's use of the words " stockpile " and " arsenal " are to make an eye popping headline to the general public... In my area, there is no limit to how much ammo you can have, or how many firearms..Its perfectly legal, but, the media constantly use these tactics to sell papers...

TATER
February 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
Average Joe..Spot On,;) That was my point indeed.

TPAW
February 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
Having fun is also illegal in California.

Calfornia? Isn't that somewhere in La La land of Oz? The place where all the cool aid drinkers are?.............:eek:

workinwifdakids
February 15, 2008, 09:45 PM
Calfornia? Isn't that somewhere in La La land of Oz? The place where all the cool aid drinkers are?.............

No, California is where gunowners carry on the fight for freedom after all the timid gunowners have given up.

Anything worth doing isn't easy, and anything easy isn't worth doing.

MOLON LABIA = Come and get 'em, *******

22-rimfire
February 15, 2008, 11:26 PM
You have too much if the media visits your home after some sort of incident and labels you as having a arsenal of firearms and ammunition and paints you as a maniac. Who in their right mind needs so many guns or that much ammunition? That fits many of us here.

44 AMP
February 16, 2008, 01:00 AM
Everybody in their right mind needs many guns and much ammunition!

I have been collecting guns and ammo for longer than some folks have been alive. I handload for more than 25 different cartridges. I shoot occasionally.

If bleeding heart, rating slut, media mouthpieces didn't describe my collection as and arsenal and a stockpile, I would be very dissapointed, in both them and me.:D

blume357
February 16, 2008, 06:18 AM
85 pounds of Marajuana.... that's right 85 pounds! and they also had one handgun.... I hate to say it, but if I had 85 pounds of wacky weed in my house I sure as hell would have more than one pistol..

Mach II Sailor
February 16, 2008, 08:04 AM
my OPINION !!

what you do to cause suspicion in the first place is a major factor, i do not believe any person who is "invisible" will get visits from the local "Jackboots" if they have done nothing to raise concern from the snitches/neighbors/pi$$ed off "friends"/a$$hole relatives etc.

sundog
February 16, 2008, 09:45 AM
I think you'll find that most jurisdictions will generally conform to local building codes.

However, since it was good enough for Billy boy, it's good enough for me. Don't ask, don't tell.

Limeyfellow
February 16, 2008, 09:51 AM
It is normally an illegal stockpile when the person getting arrested is already a convicted felon, which he often is in the news stories posted.

Old Time Hunter
February 16, 2008, 10:02 AM
A few months ago a gent was arrested for reckless endangerment when he was negligently cleaning a small caliber pistol (.22) that went off. The bullet went thru his wall and lodged in a neighbors wall. Of course the Nazi's got all excited and stormed the irresponsible persons home. According to the news media, the storm troopers found:

A "cache" of weapons, an abundance of explosive material known to be used in making weapons of "mass" destruction, and "large" caliber weapons of the size used to repel armored vehicles. Along with stockpiles of ammunition.

The take:

1-.22 caliber rimfire pistol
1-.25 caliber revolver
1-.22 caliber Ruger semi-auto "assault" rifle
1-High Power sniper rifle....30-30 Marlin w/scope
2- .50 caliber "muzzle" loaders...anti-tank weapons
1- 1lb can of Pyrodex R black powder substitute, "weapon of mass destruction"
and...
2 boxes of 170 grain Remington .30-30 Cor-lokts
1 partially filled box of .25 cal ammo
and 2- boxes of .22LR ammo!

22-rimfire
February 16, 2008, 10:46 AM
Old Time Hunter, that's classic!!

Lawyer Daggit
February 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
This is an important question, because I think you will find that your home insurance policy precludes you from keeping quantities of material on site that are explosive or highly combustible.

Primers are a key potential problem.

Clients have never been able to get sensible advice out of insurance companies- what I tell them to do is declare that they reload. If they have black powder (explosive) say so and declare the usual quantities of nitro powder stored.

If you do not declare it and there is a fire, your insurer may void your policy.

hksigwalther
February 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
At what point does collecting become the illegal "Stockpiling" of ammunition?

That point is when the media finds out that you actually have ammo (regardless of quantity and legal status of the user).

TPAW
February 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
sundog says:

Don't ask, don't tell.

Very good advice.

Dobe
February 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
How do you know if you have "stockpiled" too much ammo?

- When the floor of your closet sags...and it's a concrete slab.
- When your wife complains about having to put her shoes on top of the ammo cases
- When you arrange cases of ammo like a sofa and then throw a blanket on top.
- You can't get your motorcyle into a 2 car garage because it's full of ammo.
- Your "coffee table" is a piece of wood supported by cases of ammo.
- Your kids complain that there's no room in their closets for clothes or toys.
- The USMC lists you as an alternate ammo supplier.

Love it

zxcvbob
February 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
It is normally an illegal stockpile when the person getting arrested is already a convicted felon, which he often is in the news stories posted.

It generally looks to me more like the person is being *charged* with some kind of felony, and somehow that is supposed to make all the guns and ammo illegal -- a "felon in possession", even though he hasn't yet been convicted of anything. And in some cases, the possession of the weapons themselves is the disqualifying felony (talk about circular logic!)

jhansman
February 16, 2008, 06:47 PM
This topic puts me in mind of a conversation I had with some folks whom I knew had strong opinions on gun control, but not much in the way of facts or personal experience. I asked them if they thought that having, say, 10 thousand rounds of ammo on hand seemed excessive. They all agreed that it did, and for the moment, could not fathom why anyone would need so much ammo. I then went on to explain that I, as a target shooter, can (and do) go through several hundred rounds in one range session, that ammo prices are rising, and that getting ammo where I live is a royal PITA, requiring long drives or paying exorbitant shipping charges. After this careful explanation, several of these folks allowed that perhaps stocking up made economic sense. They also agreed that if they had heard on the news about someone being found with that much ammo in their house, they would have been alarmed. The point of all this? Just that the ignorant jump to conclusions based on bias and lack of accurate info; I do it myself from time to time, and each time I do, I swear it's the last.

BTW, a gentle reminder that worrying about who gets in the White House and what will or will not happen to your gun rights when they do is a mirage. The executive can't do squat about your 2A rights, but brothers and sisters, your congressional reps, state officials, county and city govt. sure can, and frequently do.

cabbynate
February 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
It generally looks to me more like the person is being *charged* with some kind of felony, and somehow that is supposed to make all the guns and ammo illegal -- a "felon in possession", even though he hasn't yet been convicted of anything. And in some cases, the possession of the weapons themselves is the disqualifying felony (talk about circular logic!)

Yes and if they charge you with a felony they have the right to confiscate your guns. Most likely the case will drag out over 2-3 years and if not convected you will go through hell trying to get them back no matter what anyone says. The coat in attorney fees alone will run in the thousands...