PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 500 disassembly

tplumeri
February 12, 2008, 10:46 PM
http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/2005/11/mossberg-500-12-gauge-shotgun.html

while i was trying to figure out why i cant get 5 rounds into my mossy 500a,
i ran across the site with a video takedown/reassemble of the gun. pretty good.
didnt help me, i cant get the stick out of the magazine tube!:confused:

DonR101395
February 12, 2008, 10:49 PM
If you can't get it to slide out of the end through the barrel mount hole. You can simply unscrew the magazine tube and take it out.

tplumeri
February 12, 2008, 10:55 PM
You can simply unscrew the magazine tube and take it out.

One would think so, but cant break this one free .
Its like someone put locktite on it or something!
I got is used for cheap. Maybe thats why.:(

hogdogs
February 12, 2008, 11:02 PM
Tplum...,
Try a sharpened piece of coat hanger... put in 2 rounds and try to stick the dowel... then take a third and maybe foruth round and add a tickle of pressure while fishing around with the coat hanger to line up dowel with hole. Mine had 2 o rings that gave me a little fit and that gun was less than 100 rounds used when the "duck plug" just had to go... BTW I did my fishing with barrel off and My mag tube gave birth to a sweet little 1/4 inch wooden dowel with both fingers and toes... I mean o-rings attached... If you have snap rounds I would use them for safety but I was a 21 year old bullet proof kid and used hot rounds...
Brent

DonR101395
February 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
I've had a few like that. Use a good penetrating oil, I like Kroil but if you don't have any on hand PB blaster or similar will usually work. Apply the oil where the tube goes in the receiver let it sit 20-30 minutes and use a strap wrench around the tube to loosen it. You can get a cheap strap wrench at a hardware store for under $10.

tplumeri
February 12, 2008, 11:08 PM
put in 2 rounds and try to stick the dowel

brent,
at first i thought you were pulling my leg. but now im convinced youre not.
youre not, right?
i would hate for someone to read about this in the newspaper! :)
thanks
tom

tplumeri
February 13, 2008, 12:13 AM
don,
thanks! If i cant spear the thing ill spend some money ang get a strap wrench.

plateshooter
February 13, 2008, 05:32 AM
According to the AGI armorer's course, they recommend taking the barrel off, putting the end of the mag tube, (just the solid part) in an unpadded vise Then turning the receiver. They specify an unpadded vice because if it's in a pad, the tube might turn and scratch it. I haven't tried it, but Bob Dunlap (on the video) swears by it.

hogdogs
February 13, 2008, 08:51 AM
Actually it would be real hard to injure yer self. The dowel is like 6 inches long (don't shove 16 inches of coat hanger in there...) and the "follower" on the spring is metal. I was able to see the dowel but it wasn't lined up good enuff to pop out. I little fiddling and out it came... Sorry I embellished the risk factor last night but it was like a war story at the VFW hall... I had me a few...:D
Brent

tplumeri
February 13, 2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry I embellished the risk factor last night but it was like a war story at the VFW

Hog,
Great! now you tell me! I took the mossy out to the barn, after i made sure my life insurance was paid up, and told the wife "if you here the gun go off just call 911, dont even bother comming out to the barn"

well anyway, it worked! got the little bugger out on the third try! Thanks!!

plateshooter,
thanks for your input as well. by "unpadded vice" i'm guessing youre talking about wood faces on the vice, not the serrated metal jaws. :)
do you really shoot plates?
i shoot clays with my vaquero and blackhawk.

GAWD! i love this forum!

hogdogs
February 13, 2008, 10:00 PM
So now you got yerself a bonafide 6 shooter? have fun breaking in the other half of that mag spring...:D Hey better to cover all the insurance/medical bases when fiddlin' around with a new surgical procedure on any fire arm... some of those actions can chop off a thumb... (I still have both of mine albeit some deep scar tissue)... did I mention I was under 80 pounds when using double spring jaw traps on fur bearers back in the day? I walked many a mile with four finger in the jaws to reach hard enuff ground to hop up and down on the springs to loose the jaws enuff to free my self! BTW the next critter in that trap got all my wrath!
Brent

tplumeri
February 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
walked many a mile with four finger in the jaws to reach hard enuff ground to hop up and down on the springs to loose the jaws enuff to free my self!

We definately need to go blow some stuff up together!
I think i can clear it with my wife.........
tom

hogdogs
February 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
if we tell my wife I may blow myself up... she will buy the gas!:D
Brent