PDA

View Full Version : Knoxx Spec-Ops stock ???'s

sixguncity
February 11, 2008, 11:17 PM
Anyone have any experience with these stocks - I can't seem to get a definitive answer about them one way or the other (other than the AD's)

I would like a HANDS on review from someone that has fired a shotgun (preferably a Rem 870) with one on the rifle?

I have a hard time believing 80% recoil reduction...

Anyone ?

webbee
February 11, 2008, 11:35 PM
I have one on an 870 and it performs as advertised. It's actually fun to shoot slugs. I think a small woman or a medium sized child could shoot slugs with minimal discomfort. It's a good choice for home defence where you would want to train your wife and child to use a shotgun.
Remington likes the concept so well that they are producing several models with the Knoxx stock.

As Alka-Seltzer used to say, “Try it! You’ll like it!”

madcratebuilder
February 12, 2008, 08:08 AM
I have one on an 870 and it performs as advertised. It's actually fun to shoot slugs. I think a small woman or a medium sized child could shoot slugs with minimal discomfort. It's a good choice for home defence where you would want to train your wife and child to use a shotgun.
Remington likes the concept so well that they are producing several models with the Knoxx stock.

+1 Mine works as advertised.

random_alias
February 12, 2008, 08:23 AM
I have one on a remington 870 marine magnum and love it.

With the gun unloaded....

You can put the butt on the ground and push down on the barrel and see the gun sink into the stock and then come back out when you stop pushing down.

Does not work with extended safety buttons installed since they will hit on the stock and keep the gun from going into the stock as it should.

island66
February 12, 2008, 08:45 AM
I've been happy with the Knoxx on my 870. I think the 80% figure is a little overstated, but the recoil reduction is noticeable. I like the fact that you don't really have as much muzzle jump as with a normal stock...the gun tends to move straight back instead of up and back. If nothing else, it's a cool piece of gear.

Running Gunfight
February 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
Best after market purchase I have ever made. Recoil in half I would say. I can put hundreds of rounds downfield with no soreness the next day. Follows ups are faster and the recoil is more push than punch.

Knoxx had a lifetime warranty with a stated 100% customer satisfaction policy, meaning they wanted nothing but happy owners. That was before the buyout by blackhawk, and I haven't heard if any of that has changed.

cue7467
February 12, 2008, 08:15 PM
six--- what type of gun are you going to use it on?

I may have an extra mossberg one I might be willing to let go reasonable.

chris in va
February 13, 2008, 12:31 AM
I had the SpecOps, and my friend has the CopStock.

80% recoil reduction is a misnomer. The recoil is still there, but spread out over a far greater timeframe. Instead of a quick shock to the shoulder, more of a moderate shove. Keep in mind the SpecOps has *two* recoil reducers, one in the grip, the other in the collapsible stock. I can definitively say the Knoxx has far better reduction than any other device/pad I've tried.

CopStock, made me a believer out of the Knoxx system. Uncomfortable as all get out and chewed the heck out of my thumb knuckle, but I was in LOVE soon as I used it.

That being said, I couldn't line up the sights on my 500 with the SpecOps...too high up. Mossberg stock spacers helped but I ended up selling it. Also it made the slide release almost impossible to reach on the 500.

If I had to do it all over again, it would be the CompStock for general shooting purposes. SpecOps for strictly HD.

sixguncity
February 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
I purchased a Remington 870 model 81400, Tactical 2, 18.5 inch barrel, 12 gauge with the Knoxx spec-ops stock already on it from the factory...

I just got it yesterday - thanks to all those that helped. I have had Mossbergs 590A1 (never fired, sold right away) a Mossberg 930SPX and I currently have a Mossberg 500 persuader in 20 gauge and although the Mossbergs are fine shotguns there just seems to be something missing with them.

Almost as if there just not finished or something (probably making myself look stupid) but I can't come up with the right words to discribe my discontent with Mossberg products. Maybe someone else can chime in... I mean no offense to anyone that owns a Mossberg as I still have one myself... ;)

webbee
February 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your new shotty. How about a range report when you get to that? I think your about to be a Knoxx fanboy, too.

I agree with chris in va about the Mossberg and the Compstock. Also about the COPstock being the most fun to shoot. You haven't lived until you shoot a brick of slugs, one handed, and center of mass accurate, at 50 yards. No sore hand/wrist afterward. Makes you feel like your John Wayne.

As far as Mossberg goes, I actually like shooting mine better than the 870. I agree it's probably not as well made, however it will outlast me so...
I don't get the Mossy vs. Rem argument. They are different designs and both have their place. As a shooter, I actually like the Ithaca Model 37 the best. There's a dollop of a wallop! Too bad Knoxx doesn't make a recoil reducer for them.

freetrapper
February 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
Not that you need another review but:

I just got the Spec Ops stock a few weeks back. I primarily needed a shorter stock for my Mossberg 590 and was looking for an adjustable stock. I went with the Spec Ops for both the adjustability and the recoil reduction.

The adjustability is a great feature for the wife and me both. The recoil reduction is achieved by springs in both the pistol grip and butt stock and is very noticeable. I would say nearly 50% felt recoil reduction. There is still recoil but it seems to come more as a longer push instead of a sharp smack. No more teeth rattling with slugs or 00 buck. They are now pleasant to shoot. The "push" over the "smack" also seems to make for less muzzle jump and allow for a faster follow up shot.

There are a few downfalls with this stock as well. First is that it makes the slide release button on the 590 very hard to get to. I will be removing the stock soon and exploring a fix to this with my dremel tool. The other negative is sight alignment. It is not a natural feel (for me anyway) to align the sights. This feeling was quickly overcome with some practice and is no longer an issue. Just be aware that this type of stock makes you change your natural hold a bit.

All in all it gets a very good review and I love it.

sixguncity
February 21, 2008, 11:28 AM
agreed on the sight line being off slightly -

So I added a B square mount and a red dot now all is well in the Kingdom ...:D

c_o_jones
February 21, 2008, 03:10 PM
I am not easily impressed, but this thing really works... :D

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/__gab123__/DSCF10051111.jpg

sixguncity
February 21, 2008, 03:22 PM
The power-pak was a B I T C H to press on, huh...? I had to use a rubber mallet and a 2x4 block and pound the F-in thing on... :eek:

c_o_jones
February 21, 2008, 05:21 PM
The trick that worked for me was to remove the butt stock piece,
and push with the ramped edges of the teeth facing up to guide it home.
I found this pic on the knoxx website that shows just what to do,
but why the directions don't have this pic on them is anyone's guess...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/__gab123__/Install_4.gif
One thing's for certain - it ain't coming back off. ;)

sixguncity
February 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah - I tried it that way at first but forget it ... I had to use the mallet and block, maybe I'm just a weakling - :D

RAHatto
February 22, 2008, 10:50 PM
I shot 100 rounds of 2 3/4 clay Winchester 8 shot after I gave myself a green and purple bruised shoulder, and that shotgun on that load was not causing me pain. A half hour later I shot 3x 3 1/2in 00 buck rounds at some air borne clay and that did not hurt either. I am not recoil sensitive but I was hurting that day. I really like my Spec-Ops stock on my 870.

jdc48160
February 22, 2008, 11:06 PM
Do they make these that will fit a Mossberg 535 12ga?

I'd like to do something to "trick out" my shotgun a little bit, and what better than a stock, especially one that will do what this one says it will do.

sixguncity
February 23, 2008, 07:20 AM
These are the only listed models they make the Spec-ops for according to their website, but that's not to say that it won't fit - I would call them... You won't be disappointed -;)

Mossberg 500, 590, 835 and Maverick 88 series 12 and 20-gauge (#02200)

macsr01
February 26, 2008, 12:13 PM
I love mine. I got the Specops NRS, Recoil wasnt the real issue. I just needed that style of stock so I could colapse it and have it to fit in the shotgun rack in my Car. Im very pleased with it, all except the 60 day backorder to get it.
Just a sidenote, Blackhawk Products bought out Knoxx Industries, Im waiting to see how this merger works out. I've had very good service from Blackhawk in the past.

ghalleen
March 25, 2008, 04:27 AM
Just put one on my 870 a few weeks ago. Very slick!

Double Naught Spy
March 25, 2008, 04:44 AM
Anyone have any experience with these stocks - I can't seem to get a definitive answer about them one way or the other (other than the AD's)

Just what ADs are you talking about? How does the stock cause or is associated with ADs?

As Chris said, the recoil is there, just spread out. Instead of all the power in say a 25th of a second, it lasts a third of a second. This actually makes a huge difference in perceived/felt recoil. It also makes it easier to keep the shotgun on target after each shot.

I would gladly buy another one just as soon as I purchase another 870.

sixguncity
March 25, 2008, 06:08 AM
AD's would be the web site promo's (not AD's on TV - lol...:rolleyes:)

I bought an 870 with it on - I haven't fired it yet...But thanks for your review -

Double Naught Spy
March 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
There is a definite difference between "ADs" and "ads" on a gun forum. :rolleyes:

ADs refers to Accidental Discharges. The A and D are in caps and stuck together as being an indicator for an abbreviation for the phrase

Sorry I misunderstood what you specifically typed. As for not knowing anything other than what is in ads for the product, did you try using the search button to get other opinions from the forum?

sixguncity
March 25, 2008, 06:56 AM
It's all good - as I said I bought one ...:D

MagicMan
May 24, 2008, 12:18 AM
Old thread I know, but adjustable stocks are not legal in NJ so I guess I am screwed on buying a KNoxx stock to help recoil huh?

shiky
May 24, 2008, 12:34 AM
on a pump gun you can have whatever you want in jersey.

also, anyone have a compstock? how are they?

MagicMan
May 24, 2008, 12:54 AM
So an adjustable stock is legal on a pump shotgun but not on my AR? silly

Cerick
May 24, 2008, 03:36 PM
almost anything flies on a pump shotgun but you cant have the pistol grip / colapseable stock on a semi auto. Only in NJ

shiky
May 25, 2008, 12:43 AM
meh same in ny.