PDA

View Full Version : Clean Receiver Every Time?

KMO
February 9, 2008, 10:49 PM
I bought a used shotgun last week, and quickly found that the receiver had not been disassembled for cleaning in some time (maybe never). The barrell didn't show the same level of neglect. So, here's my question...Is it necessary to break down the receiver for cleaning after every use, or is it necessary less often than cleaning the barrell?

ZeSpectre
February 9, 2008, 11:07 PM
I tend to clean it all.

KMO
February 10, 2008, 09:31 AM
...and with no further comments, we have a unanimous opinion (2-0). We're going to clean it all, EVERY time.

Tbag
February 10, 2008, 11:29 AM
Depends to what extent of break down you are talking about. Are you suggesting removal of the trigger group for each and every cleaning. Or just whats in reach via the ejection port. For me, everytime for what's within reach via the ejection port, but the trigger group generally only after duck season or if I am stuck out in nasty weather and everything gets soaked. YMMV

rem870hunter
February 10, 2008, 12:26 PM
i haven't pulled my 870 apart that far yet. i might soon. it doesn't seem to need it though. i don't go out in the rain or swim with it. but after shootin even 5 shots i take a toothbrush and brush out what i can get. mainly the bolt face the top of the loading ramp and the inside of the receiver. run a bronze brush through the barrel and a lightly oiled patch.

EHCRain10
February 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
i have a mossberg 500 20ga that ive never pulled the trigger group from in order to clean it, its not 2 years old yet but after 2000rounds or so it still works fine

Tom2
February 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
I would be suprised if you had to take a pump gun apart to clean it very often, I would think lubrication would be more important. As for the barrel, yes I would clean that and clean off like the breech bolt face etc. that you can see with a rag or Q tips if they look dirty. Maybe you should be more specific on what you have and someone could give experiences with that model. Probably alot of people don't fire enough shells to worry about it for years if they just hunt deer or turkey or something that calls for a small round count. If you are shooting clays or birds alot maybe check it more often. I would suspect that alot of shotguns need lubrication and something to prevent rust on them from setting around a long time in the off season. What is your gun and how will you use it?

hogdogs
February 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
The hog dogs method of cleaning is... Shoot a few thousand rounds... fire a few more... When really bored grab the WD-40 and a stick with some paper towels.... Spray action with a touch of the juice both open and closed... tear one paper towel in half and shove down the pipe. Follow this with with a clean half...
Take second paper towel and wipe as best ya can the action both open and closed and shoot another year or 2...
Works fer me!
Brent

Charshooter
February 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
My shotguns have been pump and one double. After some boxes of shells I clean the barrel and receiver, but I do not take anything apart. I lube my guns well, then wipe off the access oil. My old hunting buddy leaves the oil on until he shoots, but his gun case has oil stains and I do not think all that oil helps unless one lives in a very wet climate, or has their guns in a basement.

With lever actions, I use more care and with bolts, I take out the bolt and clean it well, the barrels, I use the standard cleaning that all shooters learn. I never had a rust problem, other than one rifle I carried for years in the gun rack of my truck.

RoscoeC
February 10, 2008, 06:24 PM
Cleanliness is next to Godliness. More so with machines than anything else. My 2 cents worth. If I shoot them I clean them.

FrontSight
February 10, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'm busy and lazy...bad combination. Anyway, I have not cleaned my beretta extrema 2 once since I got it back in october, except for a few light sprays of oil. Not one single ftf or jam, except with a 1 ounce target load (I knew it was too light to cycle, but tried it anyway).

And this is after literally hundreds of rounds...I think about 500 or so, including waterfowling and saltwater.

To anyone thinking of getting this shotgun: YES. Much better than my benelli SBE II, which jams with 3 inch shells for some reason.

But I do recommend buying a Comp-N-Choke...what a diff in recoil and quick target re-acquisition compared to the regular chokes it comes with!

KMO
February 10, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hey, I thought I had a concensus of 2 on this. While all this other feedback has been rolling in today, I've been out in my garage this afternoon tearing this gun apart. It's a Mossberg 500 police model, 7 + 1. It has wood stock & fore end. Well, it seems like I've been a little more thorough than most of y'all on this cleaning routine. I got a few laughs out of these responses though. Anyhow, the wood parts have been refinished this week, the barrell & magazine re-blued, and the receiver made spotless in & out (repainted the aluminum receiver exterior too). The gun didn't look so great when I bought it last week - looks better than new now. I'd post a picture, but I can't figure out how to do that on the FL forums. As far as cleaning, this receiver is a piece of cake to disassemble. The trigger guard is a single enclosed unit, so there is no need to dismantle it. The whole thing comes apart & goes back togather pretty darn fast. I like that "cleanliness is next to godliness" post. I'll clean it after every use. Thanks all...

castnblast
February 10, 2008, 08:32 PM
I rarely cleaned the reciever on my 1100 and S&W 1000 outside of what I could easily reach w/ a rag and brush w/ an open bolt...simply because it was a pain to get back together. I took it apart about once a season at the end of the season before "weatherizing" it for the year...(fishing...) Anyway, I recently purchased a Franchi I-12, and will probably clean it everytime. It's such a breeze to disasemble and reasemble, there is no reason not to do it. Anyone I've put 2 cases through this gun, and plan to put a lot more through it. I'll be shooting lots of skeet, trap and sporting clays in the upcoming year, which Is why I went w/ an inertia gun over gas. Glad I did.

Aqeous
February 10, 2008, 08:32 PM
A question about the Comp-n-choke on your extrema II--in you opinion how does it effect the decibel level of your shotgun?

ebutler462
February 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
I clean my guns once a year whether they need it or not. Complete tear down on those I have shot. They all get a wipe down every month or so to prevent rust. I have some guns 50 years that I have never torn down as I rarely shoot them. It is an all day job to take the guns out and give them a once over and out them back in their respective places. I really need to get rid of some of them but keep adding more every year.

I learned in the military that a lot of time is wasted cleaning them after every shoot. I am convinced that you can wear one out quicker by disassembly and assembly than by shooting them. All my guns are in pristine condition except for a few battle scars that have nothing to do with cleaning or the lack thereof.

Shell Shucker
February 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm with ebutler on this one. I wipe the outside down every time to prevent rust. No need to disassemble every time I shoot. My shotguns get used 1-2 times per week at he skeet range.

KMO
February 11, 2008, 08:33 AM
...you can wear one out quicker by disassembly and assembly than by shooting them.

Not sure about that, at least with the Mossberg 500. There just aren't that many parts to disassemble in it, and doing so allows one to clean & lubricate the parts better before it goes back together. It racks pretty nice without that shooting grit in there...

BigJimP
February 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, every time - and that includes a pump gun ( trigger group and all of it ).

If you keep it clean and well lubed - it will last longer, peform more smoothly and be more reliable.

If I shoot in bad weather/especially a driving rain - even on an over under - I remove the wooden stock ( take off recoil pad, loosen stock bolt down inside, remove wooden stock, clean - dry out - lube springs,firing pins etc inside.

Stripping down a pumpgun or semi auto is more work than an over under - but its still a 20-30 min job at the most. It isn't that big a deal. But I must admit, one of the reasons I went to over unders on target guns, especially when most of us shoot 2 or 3 times a week, unless it was a wet day it only takes about 10 min to thoroughly clean the gun and put it away vs 20-30 min. But even if my over unders have not been wet all season - I still remove the wooden stocks twice a year for semi-annual maintenance. Again, its not that big a deal ( but I clean all my handguns the same way ---- and why wouldn't you ------you paid your hard earned money for it, why not take care of it properly and have it for a long time ).

Shell Shucker
February 11, 2008, 06:27 PM
Y'all must have a hell of a lot of free time on your hands!:)

KMO
February 11, 2008, 06:48 PM
trigger group and all of it

Really BigJimP? On the 500 this is a sealed up unit that Mossberg warns to leave alone. You're tearing into that? I'm retentive about cleaning, and I remove the trigger housing, but I don't open it up. If you are, you win the shotgun cleaner grand prize trophy on this thread.

BigJimP
February 11, 2008, 07:50 PM
Its just the way I was raised .....and I probably am a little anal about it ....but what the heck, they're my guns.

I didn't realize the trigger group on the Mossberg 500 was any different that the other mossberg models / missed that in your note. Stripping down and cleaning the trigger groups on Browning BPS and the Remington 870's is no big deal - I've done it for years, especially the BPS's that I've had since the 70's. You just have to be careful about the little parts and stuff ....

I can't imagine why they made the mossberg 500 trigger group a sealed unit / I would think there would still be a lot of "blow by" around some of the areas that lets a lot of junk get in there - so I'll recommmend you defer to someone else's expertise that has specific info on the mossberg 500 series.

Shooting a gun dirty - will wear it out big time / especially on something like a pump with so many moving parts vs an over under. Stripping a gun down won't cause any wear on any part / unless you're really careless / and the rule I always follow "if it came apart easy, don't force it back together, you must something that is not right ".