PDA

View Full Version : 590?

glocknut01
February 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
I have a friend that wants one as well but can’t find one anyplace if you know where I can get one or better yet two please let me know.

I believe this is the best shot gun on the market but again I can’t find it anyplace, I would like hear some recommendations for something that is just as good and something that is readily available, if anyone has any or know of any.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

SDBuckaroo
February 7, 2008, 08:41 AM
your link is truncated and doesn't work

jad0110
February 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
590s appear to be in very short supply right now. I had my 590A ordered by my local gun shop. I was told that the exact model I wanted, 50663, was the last NIB available at that time anywhere, period. That may have changed since, of course.

Best shotgun is simply a matter of preference. You might also look at the Remington 870. It is a fine shotgun in it's own right. I just prefer the control layout of the Mossie better, especially the location of the slide release. Or consider the 7+1 versions of the Mossberg 500.

m24shooter
February 10, 2008, 03:36 PM
590s, 590A1s, and the 930SPX models are all hard to find right now.

4V50 Gary
February 10, 2008, 03:40 PM
I visited the website to see why the link didn't work. No where could I find the 590 listed. I wonder if they discontinued that model?

BTW, I have one and used it briefly as a home defense gun. I went back to my older 870. It's not that the 870 was better and this certainly should not be mistaken as an indictment against the venerable 590. Rather, the Remington costs less to replace if it is seized as evidence in a shooting situation. I always go for the cheapest reliable gun there is for self defense. It's a matter of having a Colt Python getting tossed around in a police evidence room as compared to an older, second hand S&W M10 revolver? Which would you rather have scratched and dinged?

m24shooter
February 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
The 590 is still in production. NYPD just ordered a metric buttload of 14.5" 590s with a new sight system. The 590s are listed under the 500 Special Purpose line of shotguns. IIRC the 590s have numbers starting with 50XXX and the A1s are 51XXX. Yup, the numbers are 50/51XXX series.
As for basing a defensive weapon choice on replacement cost, I'd rather have a reliable weapon that I know will let me worry about replacing it after the shooting than going with something that might not fit the need as well.

jad0110
February 10, 2008, 04:10 PM
NYPD just ordered a metric buttload of 14.5" 590s with a new sight system.

"Metric buttload" explains the shortage pretty well :D !

And from what I hear, the Marines are still buying gobs of them, despite being issued the Benelli M4. Low supplies + high demand = rising prices, especially at www.budsgunshop.com where 590s have gone up about $50 in price since Christmas.

m24shooter
February 10, 2008, 04:18 PM
The .mil is buying up a lot of 500s, and some 590s as well. The M4 is not Marine issue per se, it was a SOCOM purchase, by which some Marines get them. Pat Rogers knows a lot more about that than I do, and he's posted about some of the issues the Marines have had with them. The M4 does not do well with breaching/LTL/low recoil stuff so the 500/590 and even some older 870MkIs and similar are being used.

warrior poet
February 10, 2008, 04:28 PM
Also, a lot of jarheads don't like the Benelli b/c it doesn't reliably cycle the less than lethal rounds that we sometimes are required to use. The Corps is pretty big on tried and true, and the 590 is most certainly that.