PDA

View Full Version : #4 Buck for home defense?????

Super-Dave
February 6, 2008, 07:47 AM
I suspect that there are more people at this website with real shotgun experience than anywhere else on the net. So I am posint this question.

Is #4 Buck sufficient for home defense and if so how many yards is it good for?

Syntax360
February 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
#4 buck is good out to the effective range of your shotgun (we'll say 25 yards, give or take a few) provided the shot you are using is hardened, plated, and buffered. The magnum variety tend to perform better than regular. The pellets in most #4 will deform and fail to penetrate adequately - you have to be a lot more "choosy" with your #4 than you would with #1 or 00.

Mike Irwin
February 6, 2008, 09:33 AM
Yes, it's MORE than sufficient for home defense.

Unless you own a mansion, you're not going to be taking shots at 15+ yards with a shotgun of any kind, and even then you'd be better served with something else.

CDFT
February 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
Judging from my knowledge of the penetration of buckshot, #4 is sufficient but sub-optimum. From the ballistics data I've seen, #1 is a lot better (that one article is right: nearly as deep on the penetration relative to 00, and more area on the wound). I just haven't viewed the extra penetration of 00 relative to #1 to be really helpful, but I'd feel just fine using 00 (and it's a lot easier to get a hold of here).

m24shooter
February 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
The magnum variety tend to perform better than regular.
Why?
Are you referring to the high velocity loads?

nate45
February 6, 2008, 08:37 PM
#1 is a lot better +1
I agree with CDFT on the #1.

My order of personal preference would be #1,0,00 and then #4.

Here is a good article advocating #1 buck.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Passage from the article:A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

rem870hunter
February 6, 2008, 09:00 PM
#4 would be a last ditch load. if i only wanted to severly wound someone i would use #4. otherwise #1 or 0 would be my choices. the penetration of the gelatin blocks looks nasty. but the depth and wound size of #4 is not enough for me. i want deep penetration and as much wound trauma as possible. heaven forbid i only get one decisive shot and it doesn't stop the target (intruder).

a few days i thought about just for fun go to the range with some #10 cans of tomato sauce. set them out at 15 yards. shoot them with a cyl. bore or imp. cyl choked barrel. try #1 #4 0 and 00 buck. to see which one leaks the fastest and which one has the most holes in it. much less which one hops off the ground.:cool:

YukonKid
February 6, 2008, 09:17 PM
Its a shotgun...if your close enough birdshot will work. I would use number 4 though, seems to be a good balence.

Crosshair
February 7, 2008, 12:57 AM
You're not going to pass the "12" of penetration" rule, but it will still mess up whoever is on the receiving end. Very good chance of it ending the fight very quickly. Use 4 if you want to, but don't go with anything smaller than that.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Wound%20Profiles/12%20Gauge%20No%204%20Buckshot.jpg

WacosSon
February 7, 2008, 03:14 AM
#4 should be more than enough. I disagree that birdshot will do the trick. True - in HD you're typically under 15 yards, but still, if a man's face can survive birdshot I wouldnt trust it in my house. Although the chance of using a shotty in HD (or anything for HD) is slim to none, I've always told myself and my wife one thing - if you have to load it, someone is dying. There's a REALLY good article here somewhere that demonstrates the effectiveness of shot (its late or I'd find it for ya). They shot different rounds into blocks of gelatin. It's amazing to see the spread, but it was for sure #1 buck that won the test. If you're not worried about structural damage, then go with #1. But like I said, for me, if someone comes into my house uninvited, they're leaving in a bodybag.

skeeter1
February 7, 2008, 05:12 AM
Its a shotgun...if your close enough birdshot will work. I would use number 4 though, seems to be a good balence.

My thought as well. I normally depend on a .38 for HD, but I've got some #4 buck for the shotgun should I need it. That's 27 .25 caliber pellets (IIRC) and would stop anyone. My two cents.

BillCA
February 7, 2008, 05:56 AM
The #4 buckshot will probably work fine indoors for HD. The ballistic test illustration above shows a 7-10" penetration depth which will certainly get someone's attention.

I personally load up #00 buckshot and don't give it much more thought. At any indoor distance, shot has not spread a great deal. At 12-feet you can expect a pattern between only 2" and 4" in size. At 20 yards, patterns between 12" and 17" are all you're likely to get and I don't know many homes with a 60-foot straightline distance, unless your house has a ballroom. :D

Syntax360
February 7, 2008, 09:04 AM
Why?
Are you referring to the high velocity loads?

Yes, but again - only if the pellets are hardened, buffered, and plated. Otherwise, the extra velocity is only going to cause the pellets to deform faster and you will get underpenetration. The right #4 will reliably do 12-15", but most of what's out there is going to land too shallow.

And for the record, I stroke my 12 gauge with #1 as well - there's nothing better suited for the job.

azsixshooter
February 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
I live in an apartment with thin walls and no line-of-sight more than 27 feet. I keep my 12's loaded with 4 Buck and I'm comfortable with that for my place. I also keep two bandoleers full of ammo at hand, one full of slugs and the other full of 00 Buck. Eventually I'm going to move to loading my 12's with 1 Buck (I can never find it at the store), but I'll still keep the bandoleers full of slugs and 00 Buck.

m24shooter
February 7, 2008, 07:16 PM
Yes, but again - only if the pellets are hardened, buffered, and plated. Otherwise, the extra velocity is only going to cause the pellets to deform faster and you will get underpenetration. The right #4 will reliably do 12-15", but most of what's out there is going to land too shallow.

And for the record, I stroke my 12 gauge with #1 as well - there's nothing better suited for the job.
OK, I'll buy that. I wasn't sure if you were referring to the magnum loads that just add more pellets or the high vel magnums.

Rampant_Colt
February 9, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'd stick with the tried and true 00 and 000 buckshot to avoid any doubt about penetration depth