PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on Mossberg 590 magazine

dadofsix
February 2, 2008, 07:24 PM
I had oiled the shotgun prior to firing it but it appears that the fore-arm is cutting grooves both high and low on the magazine. Is this normal wear and tear? If not, how can I prevent further scratching?

I probably have less than 50 rounds through it. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have much experience with shotguns at all. I'm using this primarily as a HD weapon.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

<><Peace

m24shooter
February 2, 2008, 07:39 PM
Those scratches are normal and are going to happen with use.
My working guns have lots of scratches, it is something that just has to be gotten used to.

root
February 2, 2008, 07:47 PM
perfectly normal, I have the same shotguns and the same marks.

dadofsix
February 2, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I suspected the same but I am a novice with a pump action weapon and wanted to be sure.

I'll just keep it oiled and enjoy it.:)

<><Peace

panino
February 8, 2008, 06:17 PM
Mine had them as brand new, lol, thanks to our national institute for firearm testing. Any way to make them less evident? Some kind of make-up?

root
February 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
mine are a little less evident if I clean the outside of the magazine, a few drops of rem-oil on the forearm seems to help too.

jad0110
February 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
I had oiled the shotgun prior to firing it but it appears that the fore-arm is cutting grooves both high and low on the magazine. Is this normal wear and tear? If not, how can I prevent further scratching?

Emphasis added by me.

In my mind, there's a difference between cutting grooves and simple scratching. If grooves are being "gouged" out of the metal, then that is most certainly not normal.

Scratches are perfectly normal, and should be worn with pride - wear on the mag tube is a mark of a seasoned shotgunner :D!

Not that mine has been seasoned either :o .