PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Model 37 Trap

6blast
January 31, 2008, 02:37 PM
I saw one of these for the first time at a gunshow on the weekend. Looked like a real nice shotgun. I liked the sighting plane better than my Model 12 Winchester.

How is the M37 to shoot for trap? I realize the bottom load/eject will be different. Is it really that much of a nuisance for the occasional round of trap?

Are there any potential problems with a used 37 that the buyer needs to be aware of?

Has anyone here used a 37 Trap model for hunting?

Look forward to your comments.

oletymer
January 31, 2008, 03:44 PM
I shot a 37 trap gun for about 5 years when I started trap shooting. It was trouble free. My neighbor bought it when I switched to break action trap guns and he has never had a failure either. Use light loads as the guns are pretty light for a trap gun. I wanted to buy another but could never find one for sale so I purchased a BPS trap instead. They are very similar but the BPS is heavier.

BigJimP
January 31, 2008, 04:12 PM
Its not a bad trap gun - but most serious trap shooters will look for a gun around 9 lbs or even heavier - and often an over under with a 32" barrel so you can shoot singles, doubles and Continental trap requiring 2 shells. The Browning XT Trap with an adjustable comb is a real popular gun.

The longer sight plane and the heavier gun is a plus on Trap where the relative barrel movement is less than some of the other clays games like skeet or sporting clays.

kozak6
February 1, 2008, 08:04 PM
I personally like the bottom eject. It seems to make no difference overall unless you are firing in the prone position (which I understand is not popular with trap shooters).

Ithaca 37's made before a certain date won't take interchangable barrels, and the barrels tend to be more expensive than barrels for other shotguns.

Older Ithaca 37's will also "slam-fire". If you hold the trigger down and cycle it, it will fire as soon as it locks into battery.

jrothWA
February 2, 2008, 01:57 AM
have to befitted for current barrels.
The visual key is: if the S/N is located on the right front face of the receiver
where the barrel mounts is the older action.
Also, if you have a receiver as marked, CHECK the barrel with it and confirm that
the SN on the bottom about the 5'oclock position is the SAME.
IF NOT, DON"T shoot it until a competent gunsmith has looked at it for headspace condition. It COULD result in a burst barrel.

6blast
February 2, 2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your responses. Sounds to me like the 37 is worth a second look. I appreciate the remarks about barrel interchangeability. Will check serial numbers.

Also, I was wondering how easy or difficult it is to disassemble the receiver for cleaning?

SmokinTom
February 3, 2008, 06:26 AM
Just remember about the bottom load and ejection.It can be a real pain if your doing a lot of shooting with it.

jrothWA
February 3, 2008, 07:47 AM
have scan of NRA dis-assembly to send.

Iosco-Bucks
February 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
My great uncle had a sharp looking 37 in a 16ga. It's a great gun, although I'm not sure how much use it gets these days as he's in his 90s now. It was a field model, but still a sharp looking gun. My buddy had a 37 deerslayer in 20ga that has taken numerous farmland bucks.

I own one Ithaca, a Super Single in 20ga, that was bought for me the day I was born. That gun is still taking birds.