PDA

View Full Version : hodgdon universal clays

primlantah
January 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
im confused about what charge to use with this powder for .45 acp. there are many abbreviations for clays powders that are similar but have very different charges. the hodgdon website isn't any help... any one have experience with this powder?

38 Super Auto
January 28, 2008, 09:29 PM
On the Hodgdon website, Clays refers to Clays and Universal refers to Universal "clays"

BigJimP
January 29, 2008, 08:01 PM
Be careful there is no "Universal Clays" - Hodgdon makes 30 or 40 powders - the ones you are looking at are Hodgdon "Clays" and Hodgdon "Universal". In the Hodgdon manual - .45acp 230grain HDY FMJ FP bullet calls for a max load of 4.0 grains of Clays and 5.6 grains of Universal.

There is no such thing as "Universal Clays" .....

Personally the powder I recommend on .45 acp and all pistol reloads is Hodgdon TiteGroup ( max is 4.8grains for the same load above ).

sourdough44
January 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
I use H Universal in a fair amount of handgun loads, 40 s&w, 38, 44spcl & Mag. It works fine for me. Get the Hodgdon manual & everything should be fine.

Jim Watson
January 29, 2008, 08:49 PM
Sorry, BigJimP, it IS Universal Clays even though they have the "clays" in smaller print on the jar label now. This has confused many reloaders who apparently think that not all the words in the labels and instructions have meanings.

wxl
January 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
And there is International Clays...

Not used much in the USA for 45acp but is in the ADI load data. ADI (Australia, makes the "Clays" for Hodgdon) labels them AP30, AP50 and AP70 (finer grain for pistol) or AS30, etc for shotgun.

WESHOOT2
January 30, 2008, 08:27 AM
They say "Universal Clays".

Data is right there on the label.

In the 45 ACP it can be very accurate, yet there have been many reports of unacceptable residue.
I mostly agree ('cause it doesn't happen with every example).

It has also been reported that deviations often are unacceptably large; I agree.

I have data.

primlantah
January 30, 2008, 12:46 PM
the data on the label doesnt list the bullet weight and type im using. i loaded a batch at 5.2 grains and another batch at 5.4. anyone see any potential issue with this if im using 230gr FMJ(50/50 FP/RN).

to clarify for some of you, the bottle says univeral in big print and under it it says clays technology.

BigJimP
January 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
I stand corrected - you're right it does say "clays" on Universal and International on the band below the large print. I think Hodgdon has the powder manufactured by a company called clays technology in Australia - and I don't pretend to know the relationship between Hodgdon and the company that mfg's the powderthere are a number of powders in the "clays" range of powders.

In the Hodgdon book I have in the office - the recipe's call for "Universal", "Clays", "Longshot" etc so as long as you use the right recipe for "Universal" all is well.

primlantah
January 30, 2008, 04:53 PM
i called hodgdon to triple check the data... they said use universal data. thanks everyone!

Jim Watson
January 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hodgdon powders (other than the Spherical powders which are made in Florida, same place as Winchester Ball) are made by ADI in Australia. That used to stand for Australian Defense Industries, but they seem to just go by the letters now.

The Clays SERIES of powders was so named because they were intended as shotgun powders suitable to break Clay pigeons with. Pistol loads are just a sideline.