PDA

View Full Version : Question for all those owners of the Mossberg 500 (little help?)

silver-bullet
January 28, 2008, 06:41 PM
I just came home with a new Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I really like the gun, but I noticed something curious. I dry-fired the gun a few times, and the sound of the hammer striking the firing-pin sounds odd to me. My other weapons make a distinct "snap" sound when I dry fire them, while this Mossberg makes more of a "thud" sound. It feels pretty solid, but I was wondering what kind of sound your 500 makes when you dry-fire it. Is anything wrong here? Thanks!

silver-bullet
January 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
Well, I solved my own problem. May main fear was that the firing pin was not being struck by the hammer with enough power to hit the primer (due to gunk in the firing-pin channel or whatever). So I racked the slide shut, set the weapon down with the barrel pointing straight up, and placed a long thin dowel down into the barrel, so that the end of it would cover the firing-pin hole. Then I pulled the trigger. To my relief, the dowel jumped up forcefully, indicating that the firing pin was doing exactly what it's supposed to do. Next step: live fire! :)

BubbaZinetti
January 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
no worries, that's what it sounds like. I've got two of 'em so I know what you're talking about. one's got a pistol grip (Hogue, w/ the matching forend) and a side-saddle, and the other has the Hogue/Knoxx Comp-Stock with the recoil absorbing cam, and both rifled 24" and vent rib 28" barrels. love 'em both, they're great, solid, reliable guns. hope you have fun with yours,

Bubba

m24shooter
January 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
A trick an old SGT taught me when checking out a shotty from the arms rack was to hold the shotgun vertical, open the bolt, and put a quarter on the face of the bolt. Close the bolt, pull trigger. Should hear the coin rattle around if the FP is intact/traveling as it should.

silver-bullet
January 30, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I like my Mossberg so much, I'm thinking about picking up another one!

kurthun
January 30, 2008, 10:53 PM
i own 2 500's and a 835 i love them they do have a deeper thud then my charles daly but i have yet to have a problem with any of my mossbergs