PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip Shotgun which one should I get?

Beansie_Time
January 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
So I have decided on getting a pistol grip shotgun for HD. I have a few handguns but this will be the first long gun that i will be buying. I know they are tougher to shoot accurately but I would prefer one with with only a pistol grip and no shoulder stock because it would be easier for me to hide/store in my bedroom. I live in a pretty small house so it would be easier for me to move around with it if I ever needed to use it. I am giving up on my handguns for HD because my wife had a baby girl last week and now I have to worry about bullets overpenetrating into my daughters room, so the shotgun seems like a reasonable answer to that problem.

I also live about 3 minutes away from a year round indoor shooting range where I am able to practice regularly. I could get to know the weapon pretty well there.(as far a shooting accurately with no stock)

I'm strongly considering the Mossberg 500 JIC which is $277 at budsgunshop.com
Before I buy, does anyone know of a better or equivalent pistol grip shotgun which I could get for a comparable or lower price? Thanks in advance

john1911
January 28, 2008, 05:28 PM
I am giving up on my handguns for HD because my wife had a baby girl last week and now I have to worry about bullets overpenetrating into my daughters room, so the shotgun seems like a reasonable answer to that problem.

Anything that will penetrate a bad guy deep enough to stop him will penetrate several walls.

As for the pistol grip shotgun, way too hard for me to shoot effectively. I'll keep the stock on mine.

rugernut
January 28, 2008, 07:24 PM
might ought to try a pistol grip shotgun, i mean shoot it. you may not like it. i had one a long time ago and paid 50 bucks for a mossberg. i shot it 5 times and i did not like it. sold it shortly after ward. maybe a 20 ga in a pistol grip would be ok. but i would have to shoot it just to see.do your self a favor and shoot one first before you lay down your hard earned money on one

Slopemeno
January 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
Forget the pistol grip, and forget house-clearing on your own. If you think someone is in your house, call 911 and barricade yourself until help arrives.

I live in a 750 sq/ft condo, and I use an 18" Remington 870 with the factory stock, and I have no question in my mind it's about as good as it gets for HD.

I used to shoot in an Action Shooting league, and every six months or so someone would show up with their pistol gripped shotgun to try it out on the pepper-poppers (a rack of five, more-or-less man sized steel target that falls over when shot). Plain english: pistol griped shotguns are at a serious disadvantage on ability to hit- why handicap yourself? The cheek-weld you get with a normal stock is key to making fast shots under pressure. Even with the stock tucked under your arm you're much better off than you are with a pistol grip.

nate45
January 28, 2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.arms.ru/Guns/drobovik/mossberg_cruiser.jpg

I use 2 3/4 in 1 buck in mine it dosen't kick that bad.

The 3in however owwwww:eek:

I shoot alot though and have for over 35 years.

Those who have suggested you try one first or just use one with a conventional buttstock are probably correct.

Rustynuts
January 28, 2008, 08:48 PM
Get a Saiga 12! 10 or 20-rd mags, convert to collapsible/foldable stock with pistol grip! Also in 20 or 410 for weenies! :eek:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/Krustyboomer/S-12money-web.jpg

azsixshooter
January 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
Man, I'm drooling over that Saiga 12.

I have a couple of 12 gauges I use for home defense. My favorite is a 21" 870 with a full stock. That's what I will grab if I have time to get it out of the bedroom. The other is a Mossberg 500A Persuader with the pistol grip on it. I have the full stock too and I certainly prefer and recommend that. But, like you, I left the pistol grip on it so it fits into the perfect little hiding spot where I like to keep it. If pressed, I'd use that to fight my way to my full-stocked 870.

I've shot this 500A a lot with a bunch of different rounds. I definitely do not recommend you try shooting 3" magnum slugs with a pistol grip. I shot about 10 of them and my hand hurt for a week and a half. Since then, I wrapped the grip with hockey tape to cushion it a bit and I keep it loaded with 4 buck since I live in an apartment. I will probably replace that eventually with 1 buck since I've read that is the preferred defensive shot size. For now, I'm good with the 4 buck. It patterns good and the ranges are very up close and personal in my little apartment. I keep a couple of bandoleers ready-to-go as well, one full of 00 buck, the other full of 2 3/4" slugs. They were cheap, $5 each at wal-mart.

rem870hunter
January 28, 2008, 10:19 PM
my first wingmaster 12 ga. was set up as the housegun for hd role. 20" plain barrel with pistol grip and 8 shot ext.tube. i fired that 1 time with 2 and 3/4" #4 buck. i was 13 and it had good bit of kick to my wrist. i fired 5 of the 8 before i had to stop. it stayed that way for 2 years then went back to synthetic pistol grip butt and no ext. tube for hunting. i'm thinking about trying it again. but on the magnum model with 3" buckshot. 3" shells in my express mag. is kicking enough to tell me i may not want too.

Beansie_Time
January 28, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to rent a few shotguns at the range this week and see what suits me best. Maybe a folding stock to make it easy to store but also have the stock when I need it?

tplumeri
January 29, 2008, 12:03 AM
Mossber used to make a 500 that came with two barrels (one was 18.5") and a pistol grip as well as full stock. anyone know if its still available? i bought one back in 1981 but ended up trading it for a 94 lever 5 yrs ago.

curmudgeon1
January 29, 2008, 12:08 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh103/1curmudgeon/MOSSBERG.jpg

I have a Mossberg 500A 12 ga. 18.5" barrel with a replacement Knoxx BreachersGrip that reduces felt
recoil by 50%. Makes it fun to shoot with no pain and
a good manueverable HD gun. (sorry for the poor image).

hoytinak
January 29, 2008, 12:13 AM
From someone that has used a pistol grip Mossy 500 to breach lots of doors...get some kinda stock, folding or collapsable (I prefer the Knoxx SpecOps collapsable). It will save your wrist and hand some pain in the long run, plus they are alot easier to control your firing. ;)

absoludely
January 31, 2008, 02:25 PM
i just paid 320 all in for a persuader w/pistol grip and collapsible stock, regular shotgun stocks are a bit too long for me.

YukonKid
February 1, 2008, 12:06 PM
Oh Man pistol grips are fun! I have an 870 express 18" extended mag with a pistol grip and its a hoot to shoot. With three inch Buck it gets more difficult though. I suggest you try one before you buy, they arnt for everyone. If you dont like it get a crappy stock and cut it down, it will work just as well and if your house ever is invaded and the person inside is dangerous then a few inches of stock wont matter, plus you will be scared and its natural to shoulder a stock

Uncle Ben
February 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
More importantly than what to get, is when! Get it before HR 1022 gets voted on. If we work hard we can hopefully defeat this bill, but if not, at least you will already have it on hand before they make them all illegal.

Also, what about the "MOSSBERG® 12-GA. 28” VENT RIB PUMP SHOTGUN COMBO" that you can get at Big 5 sporting goods for $250 on sale (which is often)? It comes with an extra 18 1/2" barrel, and I wonder if you could buy an aftermarket pistol grip and change out the stock for use at home...this would make it an extremely versitile shotgun by being able to change out the barrel length and the stock depending on your use any given day.

Slopemeno: I could only agree with you if you are living alone or only you and your significant other are in the same room. In those circumstances I would agree, but if there are kids in other rooms in the house and you lock yourself up in your room, your child/children are not protected until the cops come, and I would not wait for that.

Slopemeno
February 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well, read up on the subject and get back to us. Solo house-clearing is either no problem (nobody there) or incredibly dangerous (somebody actually IS there). Are you going to give up any advantage you have to go trundling around the house looking for someone who may or not be there?

If you have the family spread out, then you have start thinking off the board. Can you segment the house and seal parts of it off? Upstairs/downstairs? Cover the stairwell? An interior door?

Go to an indoor paintball field, and send *anybody* in to wait for you to find them. It blows.

Uncle Ben
February 1, 2008, 03:28 PM
I do see your point Slope, I just don't think I could sit tight if there is any chance that someone may be near my baby. I would have to at least check to make sure she is safe. If it was just a noise and nothing more, then no harm done. I know the subject is shotguns, but I would be using a compact 9mm. Her room is just two rooms down the hall, so I would go get her and bring her back to my room so the 3 of us would be in the same room together. After that I would have no problem sitting tight, and I would do just that. Sorry for going off topic

Slopemeno
February 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
It's not off topic at all.

Youre moving in the right direction. Advance to the doorway of your kids rom and use the door jam as your barricade.

spldrong
February 3, 2008, 02:30 AM
Well I suggest a rem 870 or a moss 500 with a pistol grip with the collapsible stock, and the 18.5 inch barrel or shorter.. if you can. the only diff between these two guns that matters, in my opinion, is the location of the safety... which one will you find first? what are you used to? I use the 870 under the bed.. but I have a 500 for shooting clays.... I just dont think I would get to the moss's safty in time... esspically with a stock.
But in your case.. no stock.. if you must. I still found it very accurite when under stress, but just like what everyone is saying. DONT USE MAGNUM SHELLS. they hurt alot.
Besides you dont need it anyway. just shoot a piece of plywood with birdshot at a distance you think you would shoot someone in your house.... It does alot of damage. I have 2 3/4 Stellier and Bellot #4 Buck. Just think about it... #4 is like getting shot with a .25 like 9 times all at once.

sorry for the essay:barf:

Slopemeno
February 3, 2008, 06:48 AM
The location of the safety makes nearly NO difference, unless you have one of the pistol grip stocks. if you want to use the safety (more on that in a sec) it's just a matter of training.

For an HD shotgun, my suggestion is to store it in "cruiser ready". That is: Hammer down, magazine loaded, safety off. All you need to do is to rack it and fire.

spldrong
February 4, 2008, 02:26 PM
you can train yourself to get used to each safety. I keep a snap cap in the chamber... so that the first noise someone hears is the RACKING of a your shotgun.
I thing you would agree with me when I say most every criminal is not looking for a confrontation in a house they are sneaking in. And once they hear that noise.... I bet they are running FAST for a way out.
.....just 2 cents more.

TexasSeaRay
February 4, 2008, 02:57 PM
From someone that has used a pistol grip Mossy 500 to breach lots of doors...get some kinda stock, folding or collapsable (I prefer the Knoxx SpecOps collapsable). It will save your wrist and hand some pain in the long run, plus they are alot easier to control your firing.

As someone else who was issued a Remington 870 Chipmunk as part of my LE equipment, I'll also ditto this statement. Strongly.

Chances are good you'll never have to actually fire your weapon in defense of your home. But if you ever need to, better to have a weaon that doesn't look quite as "macho and badass" but that you can shoot with minimal practice and training and still be highly effective.

Sawed-off and pistol-grip shotguns are a training course and regiment all unto themselves.

I'll also second the recomendation that you not attempt to clear your house by yourself--not unless you've had both training AND actual experience clearing houses before. Huge difference between a training class and the real thing. Let the cops do it. That's what they get paid to do.

This is, assuming, that you've been away from the home and returned to find it breached. If you are IN your home and hear someone, it's your call.

And finally, do not let the "safety" configuration difference on shotguns sway you one way or the other in your purchasing decsions. Safety mechanisms on shotguns are useless--they are for the trigger rather than the firing pin.

Our military instructors used to give us demos with Winchesters, Mossbergs and Remingtons. They'd load them up, chamber a shell, flick the safety on and then slam the buttstock on the ground. KABOOM!

I used that demonstration a time or two during a firearms instructor stint at Quantico. The best safety on a shotgun is an empty chamber.

Jeff