PDA

View Full Version : Used Police Shotguns OK?

KMO
January 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
A local gun shop apparently has a source to acquire used (trade-ins) police shotguns. Their gunsmith goes through them and the guns are then offered up for sale at hard-to-resist prices. These are all Mossberg 500's & 590's with 20" barrels & extended magazines. They have some scratch blemishes from the treatment they got while in service. Even if the price is good, what opinions are out there regarding the potential problems of purchasing one of these for HD purposes?

hoytinak
January 21, 2008, 06:54 PM
Most police shotguns either sit in the patrol car rack or locked up in the armsroom and aren't shot much so other than external scratches and wear they should be fine.

YukonKid
January 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
+1 to what he said ^^^

should be a great buy, i had a 870 police model...then i sold it :p

hogdogs
January 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
I bought a VERY used S&W pump EX LEO gun. It had spent it's entire life in some sort of cruiser lock contraption that involved the end of the barrel. It was egg/elongated shaped way past round. It grouped like crap so I traded it off for a .38 S&W revolver...
The barrels were non-existent and many sources refused to believe Smith and Wesson ever made pump guns for LEO.
Brent

KMO
January 21, 2008, 08:23 PM
These are all Mossberg 500's & 590's. Even if the barrels are oval like the ones you describe (I'll check), parts aren't hard to come by for these Mossberg models...

hogdogs
January 21, 2008, 08:28 PM
For a super low dough price I would buy a beat up Mossberg. Bad barrel or stock is so inexpensive to replace It would be a no brainer.
Brent

KMO
January 22, 2008, 07:51 AM
By golly, it does sound like a no brainer. I'm getting 2 of 'em...

GATMOG
January 27, 2008, 02:26 AM
LUCKY!!!! :o

KMO
February 8, 2008, 06:20 PM
Well, I finally got around to picking one of these up. After comparing just a few, I found one with almost no sign of wear, at least not from having been shot. These have wood stocks and they show some careless treatment & sun fading from sitting clamped in a vehicle. The wood damage is easy to fix. Beyond that, a sweet deal...

Uncle Ben
February 8, 2008, 06:26 PM
So come on, whajuh pay?

KMO
February 8, 2008, 06:52 PM
Follow-up...I got one of these, a Mossberg 500, 20" barrell, rifle sights, 7 + 1, wood stock & fore end. I completely took it apart, refinished the wood, re-blued the barrell & magazine, & cleaned every part. It's a pretty nice gun - I think it was worth it.