PDA

View Full Version : Jammed Mossberg...

Kentucky Deer Hunter
January 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
I am very frustrated as I sit here and write this thread.:mad: Today I was goose hunting and my Mossberg 500 (which has performed perfectly) consistentley jammed all afternoon. I am using 3" #2 Steel Shot instead of the normal 2 3/4" #6 or #7 1/2 shot for doves, squirrels, etc...

After the round is fired and is left opened from the shot leaving the round, it will not eject the shell because it seems to be too long to eject. The barrel is a Mossberg barrel and plainly states right on the barrel that it will shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells. I can cycle the action with the 3" shells perfectly, but after they are fired they don't seem to "fit".:confused:

Any suggestions or do I start looking for a goose gun? I don't have limitless funds and I would like to finish the season (ends January 31) with the Mossberg. Any suggestions???:(

hogdogs
January 19, 2008, 09:03 PM
Is this the first time you fired 3" rounds? If so maybe it should have been cleaned heavily with the wire swab. Maybe it has some "scum" in the 1/2 inch or so that the opened shell flap is sticking...
I ain't sure but I have never run 3" thru mine.
I am gonna have to try it to see what happens...
Brent

StuMan
January 19, 2008, 09:08 PM
Is the barrel seated all the way in still?

Smitty in CT
January 19, 2008, 10:22 PM
Sounds like it's ammo related. Measure the length of one of the "unfired" shotgun shells that is causing problems.

If it's a 3" shell, it should be about 2-3/4" long, if it's closer to 3" that might be your problem. Just a thought...

billindenver
January 19, 2008, 11:31 PM
A friend of mine has a mossberg that flat refuses to cycle 3.5's reliably. It simply will not do it, no matter what he does. Try a good cleaning of course, otherwise I would contact mossberg....just don't expect much in the way of customer service.

bcarver
January 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
On Remingtons you can put a 3" barrel on a 2.75" reciever but it won't cycle the longer shells.
Did you buy this new?
Did you get this barrel separate from the gun?

max12
January 19, 2008, 11:57 PM
I dont own a mossberg but I would think that the ejection port is for 2 3/4 shells, not 3". But like I said, I dont own one so I might be wrong.

yomama
January 19, 2008, 11:57 PM
billindenver--don't think the 500 can fire 3.5 shells, may cause a big boom, may want to let your friend know this.

Also, op, you shouldn't be having this problem at all with 3 inch shells. I'd try 3 inch snap caps (can keep to dry fire anyway), and see what's snagging it.

Kreyzhorse
January 20, 2008, 09:05 AM
This may sound odd, but what position are you hold the gun in after you shoot? I had an unfired 3" jam when I was unloading it yesterday. Keep in mind, this shotgun has never jammed. When I was unloading it, I had it in a nearly vertical position and I didn't work the slide as I normally would due to the vertical position of the shotgun.

After un-jamming the shell, I worked several rounds through the action hold the gun horizontal and had no further issues.

Just a thought.

ronto
January 20, 2008, 09:57 AM
Clean out the chamber real good and then rack it like you're mad at it...If that fails, try a different brand of ammo.

Kentucky Deer Hunter
January 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
Is this the first time you fired 3" rounds?

No I have fired probably 50 3" rounds through it. I just recently cleaned the entire gun really well.

Is the barrel seated all the way in still?

I will check, but it didn't feel loose when I handled the gun.

Did you buy this new?
Did you get this barrel separate from the gun?

Bought it brand new - gun is 2 years old. The barrel came with the gun.

I dont own a mossberg but I would think that the ejection port is for 2 3/4 shells, not 3". But like I said, I dont own one so I might be wrong.

The barrel states that it will fire 2 3/4" and 3" shells. As far as the ejection port, it has ejected 3" shells fine before this.

This may sound odd, but what position are you hold the gun in after you shoot? I had an unfired 3" jam when I was unloading it yesterday. Keep in mind, this shotgun has never jammed. When I was unloading it, I had it in a nearly vertical position and I didn't work the slide as I normally would due to the vertical position of the shotgun.

After un-jamming the shell, I worked several rounds through the action hold the gun horizontal and had no further issues.

Just a thought.

After thinking about it, I was shooting almost vertical everytime it jammed.

So would it be better to fire a round at the target, then quickly make the shotgun horizontal, then reaquire the target and fire?

I will try this today when I go back out and report back.

I also had problems with 2 3/4" shells during dove season, but they are shorter and would fall out of the ejector port after tiliting it over. One thing I did notice is that sometimes after I would fire the round, I was not able to rack the shotgun at all, almost like it was stuck. This happened with both size rounds. This did happen yesterday with the 3" rounds and this is what happened right before it quick ejecting the 3" shells. Any opinions on getting jammed and not allowing me to rack the gun?

Thoreau
January 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
As an exercise, try a dry run of cycling unshot shells through from a vertical and then a horizontal position. I also agree that it's gravity that's messing with you. You need to point horizontal straight or downward to get it to cycle consistently, with the larger shells. It's just something I noticed while target shooting. The shell kinda slides out half-way if its upright, and jams the chamber.

kirbythegunsmith
January 20, 2008, 06:06 PM
The extractors i.e. claw contour, extractor spring tension, rim contact pinch, and other inter-related factors are involved with holding the shell to extract and also grip snugly enough to allow a certain amount of impact resistance when the shell strikes the ejector. A weak LH extractor spring can reduce the secure grip of the rim, so it may slip or move and make ejection strike throw the shell with insufficient force or a less-than-ideal angle. Striking the ejection port edge is less effective than slipping through the gap.

Some guns use other means to help control location of the shell during the extraction/ejection phases, but the Mossberg is relying more on having 2 good extractors that are sufficiently tensioned.

If you slowly pump a fired shell (2-3/4" example), you should easily see that the extractor tension is holding the rim until a certain rearward force is exerted with the pump, and then the shell pops free from pressure against the ejector. A slow pump won't eject, but will help demonstrate the effect. If no LH extractor was there, the shell could move about up or down on the bolt face and not have a direct line to the port.

There may be spring weakness, coil bind, bent or worn parts, dirt/crud stickiness, etc.

These are not the only conditions or factors that can cause the problem, but are very likely to happen, and fit in with a picture of failing to perform what once was a normal function.

If the hook action is weak, the shell may have less flip sideways out the port vs. more flying forward to strike the back of the barrel. Then a shorter shell may be able to still clear, but the longer shell runs out of room.

How does that sound?