PDA

View Full Version : any way to cover up scratches on the rustbucket?

MikeGoob
January 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
I have an old reliable 870 12ga that I like to keep in as good as shape as possible yet its pretty prone to rust. I recently got some scratches on the finish when it dropped while moving some stuff. Is there any kind of black 'coverup' to paint over on the metal to protect it?

StuMan
January 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
You can wipe it clean with rubbing alcohol, and then use cold blue with a Q tip to touch up the scratches. It wont look as good as new but it will cut down on the corrosion.

darrellkansas
January 19, 2008, 07:44 PM
try cleaning with alcohol,then try a black sharpi marker pen

ebutler462
January 19, 2008, 08:14 PM
I also use a black permanent magic marker. Sharpie is a good one. Use alcohol to get the oil off the surface to be treated. The magic marker is more consistent than cold blue.

10-96
January 22, 2008, 08:37 PM
Duracoat?
Contact Bill Howell at proshooters@hotmail.com

perazzimx14
January 23, 2008, 08:21 PM
Powder coat that sucker!

hoytinak
January 23, 2008, 08:24 PM
try cleaning with alcohol,then try a black sharpi marker pen
I thought I was the only one that did that. :cool:

teeroux
January 23, 2008, 08:25 PM
Sharpie that good ol gunshow instant blue:D

hogdogs
January 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
I too, use the sharpie technique for putting make up on my "blow up" doll...
I also use brown crayon or black crayon (whichever suits) for boo-boos on the stock...
Brent

copenhagen
January 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
Try washing the weapon off with soap and warm water. Next, get 'perma-blue' cold bluing available at Walmart, and use a Dremel Drill and a cloth polishing bit to apply it. I have found that this really works it into the metal quite well, and provides a near perfect finish.

Tbag
January 24, 2008, 09:34 AM
If it's pretty bad, I'd second the Duracoat, it's tough, looks good and you would hardly ever have to oil it again.. If it's minimal what ever mascara you got handy.

MikeGoob
January 24, 2008, 10:23 PM
thanks for all the input guys!

Doyle
January 25, 2008, 08:13 AM
Before you go doing something expensive like duracote, try this. Get some Breakfree CLP ( Walmart gun section usually carries it) and some 000 or 0000 steel wool. Wet the blued surface with the CLP and rub hard with the steel wool. I've seen some tired looking guns brought back to life using this method. When you are done, give it a good wipe with a clean cloth to remove any steel wool fragments and excess oil.