PDA

View Full Version : Tightening a mossberg forend?

doubleg
January 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
I am having a problem with my New Haven 600at Mossberg 500 clone (about 40 years old). The for-end is incredibly loose. Its very annoying and distracting to carry through the woods all day and hear the forarm clinking and moving around. Its safe to fire and all but I would really like to fix this. Does anyone know how?

jrothWA
January 19, 2008, 01:30 AM
Then you have to remove the barrel,
then remove the slide and fore-arm assembly, take steel ruler from a combination square and place it in the notches of the fore-arm retaining cap and screw it down to "just snug".

For some reason the steel ruler is just the right thickness to fill the notches.

DonR101395
January 19, 2008, 01:40 AM
I've also had luck using snap ring pliers. The nipples on the end don't engage anything, but the post fill the slots nicely.

Captain Bligh
January 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
Personally, I think its the nature of the beast. It's why I bought Remington after handling both. Just too much slop and noise in Mossberg fore-arm to suit me.

Slopemeno
January 20, 2008, 01:59 AM
The action bars are pinned into slots on the pump assembly- the forend itself is probably tight on the pump. What's happening is the action bars are rocking ever-so-slightly in their slots.